Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

It came today. Some good news, some bad. The seller packaged it magnificently--have never seen better. The box is in exceptional shape. Looks like it just came off a 1965 LHS shelf. Instructions are good. I was right about the paint--it's Candy Pagan Gold over the white plastic. Fairly thin and extremely smooth. Almost a shame to strip it, except for a couple heavy areas/runs. Should come right off. If not, it would be hard to sand as necessary and paint over, if need be. The soft top was NOT glued on, TTL, and the hard top and its glass, and the cutdown racing/custom wraparound windscreen is present and undamaged. I think pretty much everything is here--I know the four '65 wheel cover wheels are, as are the original tires including cool vintage slicks.

That's the good news. The bad news is relatively minor. The body has been drilled for the custom third taillight. That's fixable. The windshield frame is broken (but not bent) on the right side, and the top of the vent window frame is missing on the left, but those are fixable--a PITA but definitely fixable. The engine is about 80% built as one of the custom or racing versions, but I have a number of replacements from '63 kits including full FI, so no big deal. There's some kind of huge glue-booger on the inside of the stock windshield, but it doesn't seem to be tube glue--might be white glue or some kind of silicone. That MIGHT be fixable but if not, I can replace it from my parts box.

So all things considered, I'm very happy and consider it money well spent. I have two other '65 roadster bodies, both missing the windshield frames; I was going to repair one of those for a stock '65 but now I can use this one. AND I have plans to build both a full custom and a road-racer using the optional parts from '66 roadsters, so I can use one or both of those damaged '65 bodies for those. The main difference between the '65 and '66 bodies would be the "trunk" emblems.

It's a happy day in the Snakepit! (Scott, I figured you'd appreciate a complete report.) I might try to take and post a couple pics of the thing before I start reworking it.

You know I appreciate full reports like the above. Thanks Snake. And it sounds like a pretty good kit you got your hands on. Everything you mentioned as a problem sounds minor to me. By the way, can one have enough C2 Corvettes? I don't know. As you know, it is one of my all time favorite cars.

It came today. Some good news, some bad. The seller packaged it magnificently--have never seen better. The box is in exceptional shape. Looks like it just came off a 1965 LHS shelf. Instructions are good. I was right about the paint--it's Candy Pagan Gold over the white plastic. Fairly thin and extremely smooth. Almost a shame to strip it, except for a couple heavy areas/runs. Should come right off. If not, it would be hard to sand as necessary and paint over, if need be. The soft top was NOT glued on, TTL, and the hard top and its glass, and the cutdown racing/custom wraparound windscreen is present and undamaged. I think pretty much everything is here--I know the four '65 wheel cover wheels are, as are the original tires including cool vintage slicks.

That's the good news. The bad news is relatively minor. The body has been drilled for the custom third taillight. That's fixable. The windshield frame is broken (but not bent) on the right side, and the top of the vent window frame is missing on the left, but those are fixable--a PITA but definitely fixable. The engine is about 80% built as one of the custom or racing versions, but I have a number of replacements from '63 kits including full FI, so no big deal. There's some kind of huge glue-booger on the inside of the stock windshield, but it doesn't seem to be tube glue--might be white glue or some kind of silicone. That MIGHT be fixable but if not, I can replace it from my parts box.

So all things considered, I'm very happy and consider it money well spent. I have two other '65 roadster bodies, both missing the windshield frames; I was going to repair one of those for a stock '65 but now I can use this one. AND I have plans to build both a full custom and a road-racer using the optional parts from '66 roadsters, so I can use one or both of those damaged '65 bodies for those. The main difference between the '65 and '66 bodies would be the "trunk" emblems.

It's a happy day in the Snakepit! (Scott, I figured you'd appreciate a complete report.) I might try to take and post a couple pics of the thing before I start reworking it.

Congrats on the score Richard. I was able to go through my 2nd generation Corvette parts, and I do not have the cut down racing windshield. I love to see what you do with the '65 roadster. In the box, I found a glue-bombed original annual '63 Roadster with the flip headlamps. It had a few things glued to it, which can be fixed, but the rockers are toast, and the windshield frame is broken. I have an unbuilt Prestige version of the kit, where I am going to get the windshield frame, and possibly the rocker panels from the new kit, if I do not build the car with a "road racer" street machine vibe, with side exhaust, a  better detailed small block, using parts from the Revell Parts Pack engine., and a set of Minilites or American 5-spokes.

Congrats on the score Richard. I was able to go through my 2nd generation Corvette parts, and I do not have the cut down racing windshield. I love to see what you do with the '65 roadster.

Here's a couple quick mockups I've one on one of my current '65 roadster bodies. This one, with vestigial windshield frame stubs, will become the road racer, as in looking at vintage pics, I see that most of those cars actually had some cut-down frames not unlike these. It'll have black open wheels, the tonneau cover/driver from the '66 kit, and I'm thinking of painting it metallic bronze, just to be different.

I also want to do a custom roadster using the '66 custom parts. This one would get the cut-down wraparound windshield, and the '66 custom wheels, and the airfoil roll bar thingie, and maybe custom side pipes. I have in mind to do something like a 1966 version of a Calloway Speedster, if Calloway had been in bidness then.

Something along these lines. The idea is to build them as someone MIGHT or COULD have built them in 1966 or thereabouts.

My "new" '65 roadster with the full windshield frame will be built stock, probably with the hard top. Haven't decided on color yet.

Went to the CKM show today and saw some old friends and a TON of plastic. There was a new vendor there who had 7 tables of kits, a lot of new releases and a mix of older kits too. Picked up the new Pacer Wagon kit (mostly for the engine) and a couple of other pieces. I saw some resin bodies I wanted but had to hold off for now.

One more Revell '30 Ford coupe for parts (another 40% off deal), a can of Tamiya fine white primer for the Gunze 250 GTO project (even the least-hot Duplicolor white sandable primer is crazing it lightly), a can of Tamiya Racing Green for the Bonneville Jag XK-120, and a pack of chisel-tip knife blades. 

Pretty exciting, eh?  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

One more Revell '30 Ford coupe for parts (another 40% off deal), a can of Tamiya fine white primer for the Gunze 250 GTO project (even the least-hot Duplicolor white sandable primer is crazing it lightly), a can of Tamiya Racing Green for the Bonneville Jag XK-120, and a pack of chisel-tip knife blades. 

Pretty exciting, eh?  :D

Is the Gunze 250 GTO Kit the high-tech model ?

i have had mine couple of years now but still feel it is out of my comfort zone ?

Is the Gunze 250 GTO Kit the high-tech model ?

i have had mine couple of years now but still feel it is out of my comfort zone ?

The current project is the "low-tech" version, with no engine. I got a deal on it, and bought it specifically to build a smallblock Chebby-powered version while getting familiar with the kit in preparation for building the "high-tech" version. :D

The mail person brought me these today. A Cobra for the collection and a model to screw up.

got%20today%20001_zpsz7rvi2bx.jpg

I always thought that version of the 32 Phaeton had the worst box top model I'd ever seen !, its just horrible lol,  yet the kit is pretty nice really.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...