Model Cars Magazine Forum

1996 Pontiac Firebird, LT1 with STS turbo

JasonC

This is an AMT kit, Formula and Trans AM mixed. I wanted a Formula body with a Trans Am spoiler like the 96-97 Firehawks had. Kept it an LT1 cause personally I like the LT1. The turbo is made of solder, crimp connectors, rubber O ring, metal washer and heat shrink. Pontiac blue met on the engine, DupliColor black with krylon clear for the body, Krylon primer with flocking for the int. The wheels are off of a Nissan R32 Skyline, they stick out a little too much, but nothing I can do about that. The rear bumper was a Trans Am bumper that I filled and shaved to kind of look like a Formula bumper, also removed the side skirts. The hood is part of the center off of a Revell 99 Silverado custom pickup hood. I do need to put the upper rad hose on, and one rear shock. Don't know where it went to...

modelcars_022.jpg

modelcars_017_430358.jpg

modelcars_020.jpg

modelcars_012_293334.jpg

modelcars_016_128295.jpg

Edited by JasonC

Thanks, it does shine lol. And Google STS Turbo, they seem to work very well for where they are located.

Looks like a mixed bag of results according to some of the stuff I just read. The old P-47 Thunderbolt had its huge turbocharger mounted back in the fuselage between the wings & the tailplane, so there is precedent for a remotely-mounted turbo with big pipes running the length of the vehicle!

Great finish on that paint! Do guys actually put the turbo that far away from the intake on 1:1 cars? Seems terribly inefficient...

It works better than you might think. All the hot piping is under the car. Reduces underhood temps by hundreds of degrees. They work pretty well.