Model Cars Magazine Forum

Upstate New York Modelers

Guest 66dragfreak

Guest 66dragfreak

Just wondering if there is anyone here from Upstate New York, north of Albany in the Lake George region. The LHS said there was a group in a week or so ago looking for othe rmodelers from this area. Although I'm only here in New York for a couple more months, it would be cool to meet up with anyone who might also be on this forum.

i know where they are south of albany maybe 90 mins, but not sure where you are

there is an albany IPMS chapter, mixed modelers i can try to get you info if you like, i know they exist as i know several of the members and have gone to thier shows

good luck

Just wondering if there is anyone here from Upstate New York, north of Albany in the Lake George region. The LHS said there was a group in a week or so ago looking for othe rmodelers from this area. Although I'm only here in New York for a couple more months, it would be cool to meet up with anyone who might also be on this forum.

Guest 66dragfreak

I appreciate the offer. I know all about the IPMS Chapter. Unfortunately, because my main interest is not in military or aircraft, I am not readily accepted by those who are members. I know not all chapters are like this and I don't want to turn this into an IPMS bashing thread. I was just wondering if anyone who frequented the LHS near Glens Falls frequented this board...

in defense of the albany crew, they arent as anal as you think, and have judged them to be. like any modeler they have thier favorite specific time frame, and specific pieces, but also have car builder s and said builders varie in the mediums they build.... 1 builder recently buillt a coast gaurd cutter.

the mis nomer and mentality toward IPMS, is the old IPMS view, not the modern view, and i for one have not converted my liked desires or anything else, but have accepted a few challenges from these members, and am working on military pieces..... my mentor says at least im building and learning more skills, even thogh i'm out of my element.

there is a multitude of benefits to being part of an ipms club.... but at this point your looking for people just to build with, so i would suggest if you can, go meet with them, and i could give you a few names, and seek these people out, and learn skills to help your build vs about a plane or a tank, and please please lose the mindset thay are all military modelers.... my first few models in my lfe 35 yrs ago were military as i built with my grandfather.... as i got into cars, i built cars and big rigs...... now i vary on what i build, hell i currently have a motorcycle on my table primed.....

so i suggest keep an open mind, and learn skills, and make friends / colleagues/ mentors help is the best way to build abetter model, i am learning this, and firmly believe it.... and i dont care who treaches me, aslong as i can build better

I appreciate the offer. I know all about the IPMS Chapter. Unfortunately, because my main interest is not in military or aircraft, I am not readily accepted by those who are members. I know not all chapters are like this and I don't want to turn this into an IPMS bashing thread. I was just wondering if anyone who frequented the LHS near Glens Falls frequented this board...

Guest 66dragfreak

Like you, I also model a variety of subjects from armor to aircraft to automotive subjects. As I said, I don't want to turn this into an IPMS political thread. However, I will share with you an experience I had about 5 years ago when I entered the Albany Chapter IPMS NoreastCon contest. I entered a 1/72nd scale A-10 Warthog modeled after the actual aircraft I crewed during Desert Shield/Storm. Now, keep in mind I was with this aircraft the entire time of it's deployment and knew everything that went on with that aircraft. Well, I modeled my A-10 with air-to-ground as well as air-to-air ordinance, just as they were equipped during the war. My A-10 carried Sidewinder AIM-9 missles for air defense as well as Mavericks, Clusterbombs and so forth. Well, 3 judges proceeded to tear my model apart during the judging claiming these aircraft were never configured for air-to-air combat. I obviously didn't win anything, but after the show 2 of the judges approached me and actually confronted me about my "misinformation". Imagine their surprise when I took out a photo album showing my aircraft being loaded with Sidewinders on the outer wing pod station as well as the Mavericks and clusterbombs. It wasn't about winning an award at that show, mind you. What it WAS about was the lack of respect shown for the builder's efforts and they way they openly ridiculed the kit and the builder for spectators to hear. I had actually entertained thoughts of joining IPMS that day, up until I overheard the negative comments and was confronted by the "experts". Needless to say, that idea went to the wayside after I proved myself right in the way I modeled the aircraft I crewed for 3 years.

As I said, I harbor no ill will toward anyone associated with IPMS, I just had a bad experience and I prefer not to let myself be subjected to such perfectionists. I'm happy with the way I build and what I build and I don't need "experts" tearing my work down to make themselves look more intelligent. They only succeeded in making themselves look totally ignorant and foolish that day.