Model Cars Magazine Forum

Motor Trend Car of the Year is...

If not selling them through a dealer, where do you get the car fixed at? Not that I want one, but buyin something on line for almost anythign is risky enough, not sure where these will be ordered and delivered from. I gue

Hopefully they will have an actual service center, maybe take over an old Sears that had service bays for a store and service center ;)

The hazards posed by electric car range from emergency responders being properly trained to deal with them in an accident setting to those that attempt to repair them without proper training and knowledge. Special tools have been developed to check the vehicle in case of an accident to make sure the whole vehicle isn't a literal "live wire" when police, fire and rescue crews get to the scene of a crash. While the big towns have budgets for training, remember that the majority of the fire and rescue responders are paid on call or volunteer and those departments don't always have access to the most up to date methods and equipment.

Then there is the hazards of what to do with the components when the car reaches the end of it's life. Yes, there will be recycling involved, but not in the sense that there is today because again, it will take some special training and tools. And unlike today, what will the market be for used electric car parts? That is a huge unknown because the automakers have engineered different components into their vehicles and to date the volume has been relatively low.

Something tells me that my 19 year old son won't be searching the junkyards in 20 years looking for parts to restore a 2008 Toyota Prius, but he might be looking for parts for a 2008 Mustang!

If not selling them through a dealer, where do you get the car fixed at? Not that I want one, but buyin something on line for almost anythign is risky enough, not sure where these will be ordered and delivered from. I gue

They have service centers, just like any dealer would.

And what are you talking about when you say buying online? You don't buy them online, you buy them from the showroom like any other car.

tesla's are also potentially dangerous the batteries get REALLY hot after a while and are at risk of explosion. plus when top gear UK reviewed the car tesla sued them for saying the battery life doesn't last as long as the company says it does.... needless to say Top gear won!. MT is as bad with cars as is IGN with games Bought and paid for reviews.

Guest G Holding

WOW....interesting thoughts ...NOW anyone here own cars in the 50K to 150K range? Didn't think so,I don't ! Go down to Lauderdale or South Beach or West Palm. SEE all the HIGH end cars cruising...most of the really rich have 4 or 5 cars or more. I see PA plates along with NY, NJ, and FL...lotsa expensive boy toys..A Tesla would fit in the garage next to his BMW Z8 or Ferrari 458, Maserati 47.

I saw all the toys when I was down in FL for business a while back...WOW !!! So I think the Tesla will do fine..one neat thing will be the acceleration ......

WOW....interesting thoughts ...NOW anyone here own cars in the 50K to 150K range?

Some of us do... my Caddy was in the $50k range when I bought it. With depreciation, though.... $50k is where typical loaded full size pickups and SUVs can get up to, or entry-lux cars like the BMW 3-series...lots of new cars in that range..

Go down to Lauderdale or South Beach or West Palm. SEE all the HIGH end cars cruising...most of the really rich have 4 or 5 cars or more. I see PA plates along with NY, NJ, and FL...lotsa expensive boy toys..

I see high end stuff in and around Scottsdale every day, not a big deal to see them.