Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '61 Starliner Styleline kit

I recently picked up a reissued AMT '61 Galaxie kit. I planned to swap the roof from a '60 Starliner onto it to build a model of a local guy's '61 Starliner, but I'm not so sure I can pull of the switch.

Just in case, was there ever a body and window unit for a '61 Starliner made for this Galaxie kit? Part of the reason I am reluctant is because if I screw up the swap, there's no "Plan B"! I am aware of a resin '61 'Liner trans kit for the AMT '60 model, but that's my last resort!

Edited by Chuck Most

I'm most certainly NOT an authority on promos, but I believe there was a '61 Starliner promo made.

If there was, it has to be very rare and probably very expensive.

The Modelhaus lists the resin body, interior, rear glass, etc. for $32.00, to be used with the Galaxie kit that you have.

I'm most certainly NOT an authority on promos, but I believe there was a '61 Starliner promo made.

If there was, it has to be very rare and probably very expensive.

The Modelhaus lists the resin body, interior, rear glass, etc. for $32.00, to be used with the Galaxie kit that you have.

Yes there was a promo made as well as a kit by AMT , they come thur e-bay from time to time. You can pick up a restorable one for around 40.00. I have a 61 Sunliner Kit car here that I am starting on soon.

I checked the roofs on both models, and the curve of the roof at the windshields of the two bodies match up perfectly. It's the back end - Mainly the lower backlight trim, I'm worried about. I'll have to check out that issue, Jairus!

I'd really rather make my own Starliner out of the Galaxie kit than buy one ready made, even though I'm sure nobody but me will notice the effort!

The Modelhaus kit for $32? Wow! The one I saw was close to forty bucks... BEFORE shipping and handling! Guess it pays to buy direct, huh?

Edited by Chuck Most

• 2 months later...

Well- the top is on (has been for a month or so now), the chassis (all 3-1/2 parts of it :unsure: ) is finished, now I've just got to hack the interior up into a bucket-seat configuration, make up a billet-style grille, figure out the rear window's lower molding (should be easy now that the 'Liner roof is in place), and get the special orange paint I need, since I'm building it as a replica of a local guys car. I even managed to find a set of wheels and tires close to what the guy's car has. This is the first time I've ever attempted to do a model of a real, existing 1:1 customized car.

yep- just went ahead and did it- let the countour gauge be yer guide! Thanks for the encouragement guys, and the stuff I thought would be the 'BIG' projects ended up being child's play. Guess the resin kit will wait for another day!

Ever notice how a '61 Galaxie is kind of an ugly car, but when you lose that frumpy, formal, old-mannish square roof and schlap on that svelte, sexy, Starliner lid, it instantly becomes one of Dearborn's best designs EVER? Weird how a few simple lines can change the entire look and demeanor of a car, isn't it?