Model Cars Magazine Forum

Guest Anthony Oteri

Just my opinion, that is one of the most inaccurate kits ever molded. It is not an accurate Marmon. I belive it is a 359 Pete with Marmon nameplates on it.

Anthony Tim & John. He sent me a picture of the front of the box. Im like what the? The bunk, cab, and hood looked like it was Peterbilt. Im like thats no Marmon. I rember my friends cousin had 1.1 Marmon conventional with a 318 detroit double eagle sleeper. We drove it from one side of the yard to the garage to take out the 318 and put the juiced up Cummins 444 in. The old and tired boat anchor 318 labored and seized right in front of the garage door. Today I was out on the road Im like look at this and saw a chalked out red 1.1 Marmon with a high rise sleeper that looked like it came of a old Kenworth. Pulling a container on a chassis out of the rail yard. You guys are so right that kit is so inaccurate. From what I can remember the cab had a look all its own straight up and down windshield posts. Gotta love the style lines up by the vent window and side window that wrap around the back of the cab. The hood had the look like it came off a old Kenworth A cab conventional. Got to admit that was a cool lookin truck in its time for beeing all hand built. So again I gotta thank Anthony, Tim and John for talking me out of buying this kit and saving me $100. Ill take that cash and buy another Peterbilt. Thanks guys. Talk to you soon. 8)

Guest Anthony Oteri

The picture on the box tells the story pretty well. One look and you can see that ain't no Marmon. It's too bad that Revell even molded it, I wonder what the deal was with licenseing back then. If Marmon let them mold it looking like that then shame on them for letting it happen. I have built many Italeri trucks and wondered why they all had the same chassis, then if you look at either of the Petes it's like a breath of fresh air. The Pete chassis goes together very well and is very well detailed. When I saw how much you were looking to spend on the Marmon I thought Oh Boy! Glad to have helped, good luck.

We're lucky they even gave us Marmon plates and a grille. I used to get really annoyed about the Western Stars, Mack Superliners, Ford tractors, and others that came with Freightliner frames, but the thought of a cab/hood/sleeper along with the frame that was 200% inaccurate, shame on Revell. I'm glad you didn't buy it. Especially not for $100. I, like you, thought, wow, I'll get that kit because it's different, until I saw it. What a disappointment. But Revell has redeemed themselves. At least they and Italeri try to give us more up to date trucks and trailers.

Hmm,

I wondered about the accuracy of this kit. Having read the comments from others I,ve noticed one or two inaccuracies on other revell kits that I have. The "Can Do Wrecker" has a Cummins 475 twin turbo charged engine? But on the box it shows a Cat 3406? They don't seem to give much information on the make and type of engines, transmissions, axles etc. The same parts crop up time and again on Revell trucks, where as the old AMT ones have many different parts combinations. I,ve never seen inside the Marmon kit (except photo's on Ebay) but let me guess the engine is a Cummins twin turbo charged diesel??? The only other engine I've seen in the Revell trucks is a Cat 3408 in the W900 wrecker. (This kit looks very impressive!)

In summary just my opinion.

Although the kits are good they are sadly lacking in detail and information. More attention to detail and historical accuracy required!

:roll:

Dave Bates

Hmm,

I wondered about the accuracy of this kit. Having read the comments from others I,ve noticed one or two inaccuracies on other revell kits that I have. The "Can Do Wrecker" has a Cummins 475 twin turbo charged engine? But on the box it shows a Cat 3406? They don't seem to give much information on the make and type of engines, transmissions, axles etc. The same parts crop up time and again on Revell trucks, where as the old AMT ones have many different parts combinations. I,ve never seen inside the Marmon kit (except photo's on Ebay) but let me guess the engine is a Cummins twin turbo charged diesel??? The only other engine I've seen in the Revell trucks is a Cat 3408 in the W900 wrecker. (This kit looks very impressive!)

In summary just my opinion.

Although the kits are good they are sadly lacking in detail and information. More attention to detail and historical accuracy required!

:roll:

Dave Bates

The real Can Do is a 379 , the kit is a 359

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I just finished a Gortsema Marmon C.O.E. on a K.W. frame. Hope to find time to post tomorrow night. The cab was a mess, Dave will probably have to spend quite a bit of time to get the master in good shape!

I can get plenty of pictures of a 1994 Marmon SB57L and have a few of a 57P owned by a local milk hauler. If anyone needs them P.M. me.

P.S. Frank also did a 57P, I have one! Dave should have the master.