Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell of Germany Ferrari 599 GTB (not really a review)

crispy

Just got my 599 from Revell of Germany. I'm patiently waiting for Fujimi to release their kit.

Anyway Here is the kit:

box205-vi.jpg

I really really dislike the red plastic. It has a different feel than the Revell USA Chinese plastic. A quick glimpse of the body and the pictures I have show it to be very close. My nit comes with the rear window. Just something I cannot put my finger on.

Their are a few mold lines on the rear and some slight mold lines on top of the front fenders. Without spraying some primer on it I cannot see any sink marks.

The kit is molded in black and red with chrome parts. 99 pieces advertised on the box.

I'm not real keen on the pentagram wheels, so I'm thinking some Fujimi Sportec wheels or Challenge rims.

I've not dry fitted any parts either so I cannot say if it has that weird chassis warp or unstable suspension.

Here are the parts breakdown with a shot of the decals:

599a-vi.jpg

599b-vi.jpg

First impression of the body reminds me of a Corvette and Viper, had they had a love child it would be this car.

599d-vi.jpg

599e-vi.jpg

599f-vi.jpg

599c-vi.jpg

Finally though, I look forward to building this car. I'm a huge fan of the front engined V-12 Ferrari's. The 550/575 were gorgeous cars in my opinion and the 599 is a bit different, but I think the more I see it the more I'll love it.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
Nice sneak peek. I'm not a big fan of red plastic either, but I envision Rubino Pearl on this car so the potential for bleed-through wouldn't be a concern.

LOL, Happen to know someone who might have any :o ? One color I don't have in my CC line-up.

So nice to see you posting Leon. I hope you'll be around a little bit.

Chris

All 599's have same sport seats, the Revell kit and the test shots of the Fujimi have them. The non full-power seats have a square stitch pattern unless Daytona inserts ordered. The full power seats have same shape, but have "canneloni" upholstery, which looks like transverse tuck-and-roll. They also can be ordered with Daytona inserts. Dash across vents can be either CF or leather, leather less common. CF paddles only come with CF insrument surround and CF wheel to with shift LEDS. These pics all have the optional CF door inserts, they are usually leather, and samples of upholstery I mentioned. PM me if you need any other pics, I may have a couple :shock:

The chrome on the 599 is limited to the grille and mirrors. The airboxes, wheels, tunnel, and paddles are either silver or black. I'm bummed they chose red plastic, but the body looks nice.

57ca401bda8be2182566ebd2834bff74_1.jpg

Charcoalfullleather.jpg

genev255dg.jpg

Lee, thanks for the pictures!
I'm just glad there are Ferrari modelers here. Here are a couple with leather rear deck, carpeted rear deck, leather middle dash, leather doors, alloy paddles, and LED/non-led wheel.

...just call me Chuck :roll:

3dash.jpg

2dash.jpg

1Postupper.jpg

060058car_558x372.jpg

P2270071.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

Hi Chuck! :lol:

These are pics I can use! Seems to be a staggering amount options as to how the interior can be equipped and detailed. I'll finally grok a Revell kit this Saturday. Saw the 1:1 599 at the auto show a couple weeks ago. I must say it was far better in person than in pics. Even in red, even w/pentagram wheels. My model will be customized not unlike my 612 Scaglietti. I certainly hope I figure out how to paint before then, considering the myriad of paint issues I had w/my Scag :roll:

I've seen some other 599 GTB seats, some custom-ordered ones w/Daytona inserts, that looked really sharp 8)

Speaking of Ferrari models, if I ever get an F430 GT I'd like to build one in blue like the one at Sebring, even if it wasn't the car involved in one of the finest laps of racing ever seen in this country.

I'm just glad there are Ferrari modelers here. Here are a couple with leather rear deck, carpeted rear deck, leather middle dash, leather doors, alloy paddles, and LED/non-led wheel.

...just call me Chuck :roll:

3dash.jpg

2dash.jpg

1Postupper.jpg

060058car_558x372.jpg

P2270071.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

Ohhh man, those are some great ref. pictures.

I'm very curious about the daytona inserts. I'm a daytona insert, scuderia shield kind of guy. Thanks again Lee!

Would you be o.k. with me saving these pictures and adding them to my fotki for reference Lee? LMK, and thanks again.

Chris

Lee, I forgot to mention, if you hold onto your $27 for the kit and wait until next year(yeah, that'll happen) you could probably get the Revell USA version in white plastic. :lol:

Either way, I'll have two more 599's coming, one of them Fujimi and the other next year from Revell USA. :D

Chris

Lee, I forgot to mention, if you hold onto your $27 for the kit and wait until next year(yeah, that'll happen) you could probably get the Revell USA version in white plastic. :lol:

Either way, I'll have two more 599's coming, one of them Fujimi and the other next year from Revell USA. :D

Chris

I'm glad I can get the Revell AG kit for about what the Revell US kit will retail for :lol: I'll get another one next year in white plastic :wink:

I actually think I'm going to pass on the Fujimi version, unless they do one w/the Challenge rims.

Chris, please use for refs, I have more prn.

I don't have a kit yet, need one. Will get second in white next year, as my red one won't be done yet.

Really needs Challenge wheels. Kit looks like it has Canelloni seats?

I love Daytona seats, but shields only go on racecars :lol:

Geez, I'm the only guy here poppin' retail? Where you scoring these?

I still haven't gotten around to getting an FXX yet.

Tamiya GT1 Porsche or Epson NSX have wheels close enough?

Maisto has 1/24 diecast out, friend has one, satan wheels, but nice per report.

You guys see the R&T numbers on this thing? 0-60 3.2, 0-100 7.0. 1/4 11.2 @ 129 and change. 0-186 in under 30 sec. Rates a coveted "adequate" on the LK scale.

BTW, you FXX builders may enjoy the rotor color variant in the last pic. Hard to do that 1:1. :shock: :wink:

Undertray2.jpg

2psp.jpg

engine1.jpg

103.jpg

Great pics 8)

Tamiya GT1 wheels not quite right, not sure about others, most kit BBS rims have spokes that are much smaller than Challenge rims. Scale Auto Style did a set of large Challenge rims; he may have used a "white gas" treatment on one of his molds to enlarge it from a smaller size, as they're identical to some 18" Challenge rims, just larger.

Chris, please use for refs, I have more prn.

I don't have a kit yet, need one. Will get second in white next year, as my red one won't be done yet.

Really needs Challenge wheels. Kit looks like it has Canelloni seats?

I love Daytona seats, but shields only go on racecars :lol:

Geez, I'm the only guy here poppin' retail? Where you scoring these?

I still haven't gotten around to getting an FXX yet.

Tamiya GT1 Porsche or Epson NSX have wheels close enough?

Maisto has 1/24 diecast out, friend has one, satan wheels, but nice per report.

You guys see the R&T numbers on this thing? 0-60 3.2, 0-100 7.0. 1/4 11.2 @ 129 and change. 0-186 in under 30 sec. Rates a coveted "adequate" on the LK scale.

BTW, you FXX builders may enjoy the rotor color variant in the last pic. Hard to do that 1:1. :shock: :wink:

Undertray2.jpg

2psp.jpg

engine1.jpg

103.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a sneak peak at the box, contents, instructions. Somewhat different construction and parts breakdown vs. Revell. If Fujimi kits a variant w/Challenge wheels I'll get one then. I am looking forward to comparing the two side by side. The Fiorano looks 1000% better w/factory 20" Challenge wheels but of course the kits have the ugly pentagram wheels :roll:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10055803

I may have to make mine look like this:

IMG_0923-vi.jpg

IMG_0922-vi.jpg

Grigio Titanio w/factory 20" Challenge wheels. MSRP $328K :shock:

Larry, thanks for the heads up!

Bob, Thanks for the parts breakdown! I really appreciate Fujimi separating the seats like they did. That will make the carbon fiber process a little easier.

I'm impatient, so as far as the wheel thing goes, I may have to just bite on the Challenge edition if it comes out.

Chris

Lee old buddy! How ya been? Good to see you too!

Those BBS REs are close, but you might be better with two other options to fill the Fiorano's wheel arches. The Museum Collection's metal Challenge rims for the 360 are pricey but they have the look and are the right diameter. (http://www.hlj.com/product/MCLTK-01), OR you can take the rims right out of the Fujimi F430 Challenge kit (http://www.hlj.com/product/FUJ12268) and still have an F430 to build! Hope that helps some!

Those BBS REs are close, but you might be better with two other options to fill the Fiorano's wheel arches. The Museum Collection's metal Challenge rims for the 360 are pricey but they have the look and are the right diameter. (http://www.hlj.com/product/MCLTK-01), OR you can take the rims right out of the Fujimi F430 Challenge kit (http://www.hlj.com/product/FUJ12268) and still have an F430 to build! Hope that helps some!

Before anyone makes any expensive mistakes, please read the following.

I have all the aforementioned wheels. The Museum Collection wheels are 18's, they're the exact same diameter and width as stock 5 spoke Tamiya 360 Modena wheels. They're so small on the Fiorano they get lost under there.

The Fujimi BBS RE's are the closest in design, but they're 19's, the F430 Challenge wheels are centerlocks and have a slightly different shape of spoke and are the identical diameter as the BBS RE's. Unfortunately both of these Fujimi wheels also get lost under the large wheel openings of the Fiorano. So far nobody makes correct BBS wheels for a Fiorano. I'm picky enough that I'd not be satisfied w/undersized Challenge wheels on the model. If anything kit wheels need to be +1 to look correct visually in scale.

I'm planning to take a set of Pegasus Vanquish 2-piece wheels, remove the centers (they're separate), and cut/fit Fujimi RE's in their place. This makes for a very good look, though not as nice as stock Challenge wheels because the rim portion is a bit thicker. But it's a better choice than all the undersized options so far. Unless someone takes some RE's and does the Coleman stove white gas trick to expand an RTV mold to the right size to make one master of larger than stock diameter.

If you have some .020" plastic sheet, you can wrap the RE wheel in one thickness to get it to just about the perfect diameter, and stretch the tire over it. I've seen modelers use this trick to make some traditionally undersized Fujimi wheels look much better visually.

I'm up for a set of whatever youse guys come up with. Satan wheels are now only wheel available as of April builds (430CS using up supply, or BBS tanking, dunno which). I will have some excellent reference material handy.

Other problem is both Fujimi and G-Rev appear to have canneloni seats, not the Daytona insert upholstery or the standard upholstery. Shouldn't be horrible to make, but not simple either. Does Superamerica have Daytona inserts? Cheap source for seat inserts for the lazy (me).

Before anyone makes any expensive mistakes, please read the following.
Bob, can you clarify expensive? :shock: :D

Here is a favorite 599 pic of mine

Ferrari599Starting.jpg

Ferrari599Drifting.jpg

Is BBS in that big of trouble? I knew it was bad but hadn't heard anything lately.

You're on your own for Daytona inserts, no current kit from anyone seems to have quite what you're looking for. Fujimi Maranello seats are hideous, Revell's have better shape but the inserts have offset "fingers", definitely not Daytona inserts.

Expensive? Those Museum Collection metal wheels are awfully expensive compared to Fujimi wheels, considering they're two sizes too small for a Fiorano. But we all know outfitting a Ferrari properly isn't for the weak :wink:

I tried some Maisto F430 wheels under the Fiorano, the size fits great and they look great on the car, if not for the fact it suddenly looks like a Z06 that way. Probably why the satan wheels are standard, and not twin-spoke wheels like the F430 and Enzo.

Pictures are worth a thousand words. Here is the Revell Fiorano w/wheels we've discussed.

With Museum Collection 18's; so small the car doesn't look like a Ferrari:

IMG_1196-vi.jpg

With 19" Fujimi F430 Challenge centerlock wheels; looks better in the photo than in real life:

IMG_1195-vi.jpg

With Maisto stock F430 wheels (they trounce the Fujimi ones) looks kinda like a Z06 :shock: :

IMG_1197-vi.jpg

With a couple home-brew wheels. The rims are Pegasus plastic Vanquish/Vantage w/o the centers, the fronts have Lamborghini Sportec 19's and the rears have resin repops of the Museum Collection 18" Challenge wheels. I'm going to slice up some BBS RE's and put them in these rims for my 599 as they're closer to the real design and fit the rim better, and I'll use a smaller diameter front tire:

IMG_1194-vi.jpg