Model Cars Magazine Forum

"The Little Old Lady From Pasadena"

CorvairJim

I built this Lindberg '64 Dodge 330 for the "Cars of Rock 'n' Roll and Country Music" CBP that I started about 13 months ago. I guess I set a lousy example taking so long getting it done, but at long last it IS done. I had my share of problems with this one, caused by both being unfamiliar with Lindberg models and pushing my personal envelope as far as aftermarket parts goes. I don't usually wire my engines and this was my first attempt at using a whole photoetch set. I gave up on that before I was completely finished because I found the little individual D-O-D-G-E letters for the hood and decklid to be just too fiddly to work with and get straight (although I did get the tiny Pentastar emblem on the right front fender!). Also, I haven't been able to find any Bare Metal Foil with decent adhesive for a couple of years now so I did the trim the old-fashioned way: Kitchen foil and Micro-Gloss! So here she is, my "Brand new, shiny red, Super Stock Dodge"!

DSCN6700.jpg

DSCN6699.jpg

DSCN6695.jpg

DSCN6697.jpg

Thanks for the comments, guys! Even with all the hassles I had with it, it was still fun... for the most part. Yes, Shane, the grille is P.E. I have a line on a "Little Old Lady" resin figurine; I think it's from Jimmy Flintstone and the price isn't too bad either. One more thing I want to do for this build eventually is my first attempt at a diorama - a "Rickety old garage", with "A pretty little flowerbed of white gardenias" beside it!

Oh, and CrazyJim, about that "Shiny": I was trying for a period-correct "Shiny", meaning not not necessarily as shiny as a modern basecoat-clearcoat finish, but still nearly completely smooth. The generic rattlecan red with no clearcoat, then polishing it with a polishing kit and Meguair's polish brought it to that point just the way I wanted it to be.