Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Project 6 x 6 Oshkosh

Hello Folks,

I've just become a member of Fotki so I can now show some phots of my project trucks. My latest one is a 6 x 6 Oshkosh. The cab and hood is a griffin conversion from STS. The engine is a detroit 8V 71 290 HP diesel from a wrecked Pete California Hauler as is the radiator with some modifications. The rear suspension and axles are from KFS. I drilled through the centre of the axle and installed a 4mm dia steel axle in both. The front suspension and battery box step is from a wrecked Kenworth Conventional. The front axle is a KFS. I fitted a piece of key steel through the centre of the axle. You will see from the photos that the truck has no wheels. I am waiting for the front stub shafts and the six wheel hubs to be manufactured in the machine shop. All wheels will rotate and the front axle will steer. The frame, transfer gearbox and flat bed are scratch built. This truck will have a Hiab self loading crane on the rear of the frame. I decided to have a go at weathering the truck. It has been working on installing stand by generators in remote locations. Hence the dirt. The truck is well looked after but works for its living!

Inspiration for the truck came from an Oshkosh for sale on Truckpaper.com, Casey Estok's (Casey 429) Ford C600 for details and weathering ideas and Dan's (Southgate) Paystar 6 x 6 for all wheel drive truck. Great builds!!

This has proved a very interesting project with still a great deal of work to do. I will update with new photos as and when progress is made.

Dave Bates

http://public.fotki.com/oldalbion/6-x-6-oshkosh

Hello Folks,

I've just become a member of Fotki so I can now show some phots of my project trucks. My latest one is a 6 x 6 Oshkosh. The cab and hood is a griffin conversion from STS. The engine is a detroit 8V 71 290 HP diesel from a wrecked Pete California Hauler as is the radiator with some modifications. The rear suspension and axles are from KFS. I drilled through the centre of the axle and installed a 4mm dia steel axle in both. The front suspension and battery box step is from a wrecked Kenworth Conventional. The front axle is a KFS. I fitted a piece of key steel through the centre of the axle. You will see from the photos that the truck has no wheels. I am waiting for the front stub shafts and the six wheel hubs to be manufactured in the machine shop. All wheels will rotate and the front axle will steer. The frame, transfer gearbox and flat bed are scratch built. This truck will have a Hiab self loading crane on the rear of the frame. I decided to have a go at weathering the truck. It has been working on installing stand by generators in remote locations. Hence the dirt. The truck is well looked after but works for its living!

Inspiration for the truck came from an Oshkosh for sale on Truckpaper.com, Casey Estok's (Casey 429) Ford C600 for details and weathering ideas and Dan's (Southgate) Paystar 6 x 6 for all wheel drive truck. Great builds!!

This has proved a very interesting project with still a great deal of work to do. I will update with new photos as and when progress is made.

Dave Bates

http://public.fotki.com/oldalbion/6-x-6-oshkosh

"Restricted access! Password required."

So says Fotki.

Perhaps you can move them to an unrestricted album.

What a monster! That's some nice work there. The weathering is spot on, and the 6x6 setup is really convincing. Now, I don't want to sound nit-picky but Detroit Diesels are supposed to be green. Just though I'd let you know in case you ever use another. But, I'm glad you got some inspiration from my Ford. After what I've seen so far, the finished product will be absolutely MASSIVE.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Casey you're quite right the Detroit is green. I think a read some where that it was Alpine Green, but not sure. My intentions were to paint the engine green but when i went to the model shop the choice of green paint was limited but wanted to pushon with the project so blue it was. I should have mixed my own green, but never mind, I found the weathering brought out some interesting details that could not easily be seen when painted in the show room condition. The detail in the AMT kits is really very good. It never ceases to amaze me the time and effort that goes into the design and manufacture of the molds. The costs attributed to this is probably one big reason why we don't see to many new Product Releases.

With regards to the Hiab self loading crane I will probably be using the Italeri conversions kit. Although I may have a go at scratch building a heavy duty version. I have saved the Hiab Web site as a favourite. It list all the latest model cranes with good detail photos. We'll see!!

My next build is either a heavy duty MACK DM 800, a twin steer Autocar dumper or a 351 Pete (Based on a truck Brad Wyke had on his Web site some time ago. This truck was red with black frame had an 8V Detroit, the whole truck requiring restoration).

Over the next week or so I will post updates for the Oshkosh and my other truck builds

Thanks

Dave Bates

The DD Alpine green is kind of a bluish green anyway, yours is a bit bluer but its not too bad, those Oshkosh trucks take a beating, the owner probably touched up the engine with some Ford blue paint :D

How are you liking the kit, I have seen a couple of interesting contract water tenders built on that chassis and think about getting one every time I go to the STS site.

Aaron,

The kit has proved very good. Details especially the dash are excellent. The resin is quite thin but strong. There have been no real problems to comment on. I,m not very good at painting so when it came to the grill I decided to cut the holes out in the grill itself rather than try to paint them in. The result is very pleasing and adds a little more authenticity to the model. The flat cab sides, front and back allow for easy glazing. ( No fancy shaped pieces of glass to manufacture) If you build the Oshkosh watch out for the engine sump interfering with the front differential. Also the position of the front fenders and bumper in relatation to the front wheels is critical.

Thanks

Dave Bates

Thanks John,

Whilst I'm waiting for the wheel hubs and front axle stub shafts I have made a start on the load. A diesel generator set from Cummins. There web site is very informative and they have an excellent range of generator products. Unfortunately not many drawings or photographs so I will require a bit of artistic license. I have a spare Cummins N14 525HP resin engine which I will use, the other items will be scratch built. The generator sets come in an interesting shade of green a bit like the Detroit Alpine Green. I'm considering having a go at a diarama for showing the trucks. Hmm! We'll see.

With regards to weathering. Its some thing that I hadn't tried before. on my last few trucks I have added bits of weathering to tyres, wheels fenders etc. But stopped at that. This time I thought I would go much further. One thing to remember is that dirt will be found more in certain areas than others and there are differant types of dirt to. A good example of this can be seen in Tim's "Used but Dirty" Pete 359 (The Brown one with bird Poo and bugs) The wind shield is superb very convincing. (Tim's Iron Pete is probably my favourite of all Tim's trucks. The weathering is superb. The oil slick a great little touch) The weathering on Casey Estok's Ford engine is great and is what persuaded me to have a go at weathering.

Why not have a go you might be surprised at the results.

Best Wishes

Dave Bates

Thanks Dave on your comments.

You have supplied me the name of the paint for the Detroits. I always guesed the colour of there engines.

I have tried weathering a HO Locomotive for a chap but he just moaned about it.

I thought my work was great as it nolonger looked like a toy.

I even offered to buy the locomotive but no he just moaned.

Cheers

John Wilson

Hello Folks,

Haven't done too much this last week, been one of them kind of busy weeks. Still made a start on the generator load. I got the idea for this from the Cummins Web site. There is still a lot of work to do but its starting to take shape. The photo shows a mock up with the wheels. I'm still waiting for the front sub shafts and all the wheel hubs. The machine shop has been busy this week. I'll post more photos and details as I go.

Thanks for looking

Best Wishes

Dave Bates

Oshkosh048.jpg

http://public.fotki.com/oldalbion/6-x-6-oshkosh/page3.html

• 1 month later...

Hello Folks,

After 4 months the big Oshkosh is finished at last. Wow! what a project! I spent as much time on the generator, crane and other items as i did the truck. First real attempt at weathering, quite like the effect. It's no where near the same standard as Tim and many others, but I like it and have to say really enjoyed building it. I eventually decided to use the KFS crane since it was of a heavier build in keeping with the truck.

Enjoy the photos

Time to start planning my next truck!

Best Wishes

Dave Bates

PS I will send some photos to tim at Truckmodeler.com. Hope I'm not too late for the next up date.

http://public.fotki.com/oldalbion/6-x-6-oshkosh/page4.html

Tim,

Thanks I've sent some pics to truckmodeler.com. Let me know if you have any problems.

John,

With regards to the numerous problems that I encountered, where to start? I think the planning stage of the project was critical. I struggled to find individual parts to suit what I was looking for. For example the auxillary transfer transmission I scatch built myself. All the axles have steel rod right through them. All the wheel hubs are brass. The front stub axles are steel and numerous other things. I worked out a general concept around the parts I could reasonably make myself and parts that were available from model kits and of course aftermarket parts. I have added some photo's of the detail drawings I did for the hubs etc. They haven't come out to well, but are good to emphasis the point of planning.

The overall cost is obviously to be considered. The conversion kit for the cab and hood is $ 50.00 to start with. Scratch building can be expensive. But where as a kit would normally take me 2 weeks maybe a month. It took me 4 months to build the Oshkosh. Certainly no production line. So maybe the costs balance themselves out per month? This is the 2nd truck I've scratch built and quite enjoy doing some thing a bit out of the ordinary. The most important aspect is that when it is finished it has to look right it must be balanced and look practical. Otherwise for me it just isn't right!

I will be posting another album on Fotki for my first scratch built truck a Pete 380 heavy hauler complete with scratch built drop deck heavy trailer. Very differant from the Oshkosh.

Best regards to all

Dave Bates

Dave,

Awesome work and detail on the Oshkosh build as well. Sorry I haven't emailed this to you sooner. Trust me..I understand the time and effort that was dedicated to this one..it paid off..I would be pround to show this truck off in my collect as well.

Please keep us all posted on your next build.

Kurt McLucas