Model Cars Magazine Forum

MINIDREAMS 62 FALCON TWISTED OUT PROMO !

Ok here is project i want to try and finish up in the next 3 weeks !

101_1722.jpg

I picked this up last year at the HEARTLAND CONTEST price really isn't important when your buying it to build but lets just say this ! The seller said make offer and another guy holding 2 other promo's said he needed to complete his 62 collection of promos and asked the seller to pitch an offer . When the seller said i dont know how about $35.00 ! Then the guy holding the other promo instintly started to pick the car apart saying THE HOOD IS GONE AND THE FENDERS ARE SCREWED UP, BAD CHROME, FOGGED WINDOWS , ETC. And asked the seller would he take $10.00 bucks and lookin over the shoulder of the guy i spoke up and said I'LL GIVE YOU $25.00 LOL LOOK WHO WON THAT 1 ! LOL ! :lol:

Here is waht it looked like on the bench after the swap meet !

101_1723.jpg

101_1724.jpg

101_1725.jpg

101_1726.jpg

But me being a smart one and knowing that i wasn't buying it for a promo value i went right to work getting parts together to build this and here are some in progress shots !

101_1727.jpg

101_1728.jpg

Rough fender cuts and missing hood SOLVED ! :lol:

Now to get my stance rogether !

101_1729.jpg

And since the hood was already butchered i just thought i should keep cutting it up so out came the saw and took care of the molded in chassie ! And hinged the hood and built inner fenders , firewall and core support!

101_1730.jpg

101_1732.jpg

And since the knife was out on the bench i just couldn't help but to keep cutting up the car . :unsure:

101_1736.jpg

101_1737.jpg

101_1738.jpg

101_1739.jpg

101_1740.jpg

101_1741.jpg

If you guys couldn't see i trashed out the promo interior tub tring to un build this car so i took a 67 amt comet and started robbing the interior items out of it ! And i started a power plant !

The motor started off as the 05 revell mustang gt but i had to beef it up a bit ! LOL!

101_1770.jpg

101_1771.jpg

The motor sticks up a tad to high instead of fixing a manifold i built a scoop ! LOL!

101_1775.jpg

101_1774.jpg

101_1765.jpg

101_1763.jpg

101_1766.jpg

Started to build the motor so i can see what kinda of room i had when i started to under hood items and make sure the hood hinges cleared the valve covers !

101_1777.jpg

101_1778.jpg

Here is how its been sitting for about 4 months ! I got into some family things and put this back in the box but its back out and i want to get it together in less then 3 weeks !

101_1780.jpg

101_1781.jpg

101_1783.jpg

101_1784.jpg

101_1786.jpg

101_1787.jpg

101_1789.jpg

101_1790.jpg

And just for the fun of it i left the most part of the chassie alone so to kinda prove that this started life as a promo / craftsman kit and not a resin item !

101_1791.jpg

I hope the next rare promo or kit you guys pick up is being bought to build ! Enjoy your money fellas cause if you buying stuff just to collect dust your not enjoying this hobby ! :unsure:

101_1780.jpg

WOWSER!! Man, Dave, tha's one awesome Falcon! Wish I'd had one like this back in 1971 when I got my only speeding ticket. I was driving my Dad's '67 and had it's 144ci goin 80mph and got busted by Leo in his big old Impala. If'n I'd had this bad boy, he never woulda caught me :unsure: Very nice work! Lookin forward to seeing it done.

That is really a sharp lookin' car there. You have done a great job with that promo, I know I had picked up a few promo's to try and do something with them, but nothing even comes close to what you have done..... looking forward to seeing this one completed.

STEVE ALLEN

I know you got the last laugh on that one! I have a '62 Falcon kit I bought a few years back. I haven't made my decision yet, but I want to do a showroom of '62 Fords. That one was the missing link. Of course mine will be Replica Stock, but I am diggiing what you are doing with yours. Maybe I'll pick up a resin kit, and go that route.

Oh and PS, the correct term is not "unibody", but rather..."Integral Cab"

LOL

And there is a lot I like about that 62...

Richard

You are correct Sir, but whenever I have ever brought up an Integral to anybody outside of a True Oval Fan, or Hard Core Automotive Guy/Gal, they usually look like these guys ---> ;):blink: Yet when I say 1960's Ford Unibody Pickup, then they are more respondant :P

Looks like you have some Great Yard Toys though Richard :lol::D Seeing that pic already gives me ideas of what I'd do to them, if they were in my Yard :D;)

• 4 weeks later...
You are correct Sir, but whenever I have ever brought up an Integral to anybody outside of a True Oval Fan, or Hard Core Automotive Guy/Gal, they usually look like these guys ---> :rolleyes::P Yet when I say 1960's Ford Unibody Pickup, then they are more respondant :angry:

Looks like you have some Great Yard Toys though Richard :):unsure: Seeing that pic already gives me ideas of what I'd do to them, if they were in my Yard :(<_<

Well without wanting to hijack the thread...but maybe it will provide some inspiration...

The Falcon wagon is a 1-owner car (inherited from my grandparents) with a 170 six I installed in 1971. Converted to a C4 trans 12 years ago, there is a 302 waiting for it, and an 8.8 rear axle, Granada spindles and disc brakes. 15x7 steel sport wheels and a set of salt discs for rolling out to nearby El Mirage...Paint plan is 1990s Ford Turquoise metallic...

The F100 needs its 428 Cobra Jet (70 Cougar Eliminator) freshened up, it has nearly 300,000 miles since it replaced a 390 in 1989. The C6 trans also needs freshening. A little buffing of the original Aqua Blue paint color and slot mags with fresh rubber, and she's ready to cruise again!

Richard

Sweet Falcon you got going there. While you robbed the Comet of it's engine compartment, you should just shorten the Comet chassis, There's a bit of a step behind the seats- shorten the area between that and the diff 8mm and you're there. Nice Pickup, too- I've always heard them referred to as 'unisides'.

Thanks for the coments fellas !

As for the color choice i am unsure at this point ,

and to the comment about the comet chassie ! I was going to go that route but i am proving a ponit with this build to a few NONE BUILDER , PROMO COLLERTORS , that are in my area ! I have built a few cars that started life as a promo or a curside kit and went full detailed ! This car was snatch up just to cut up and build ! Too many great kits are just sitting in someones closet, or basement collecting dust when they should being built ! I am good freinds with 2 guys that dont build but have tons of great stuff ! I love to see there faces when i show them that the nife has cut up another great peice of plastic ! So keeping with the promo chassie and cutting it and detailing it is to show them that a PROMO CAN MAKE A GREAT BUILT MODEL ! LOL ! :angry: