Model Cars Magazine Forum

IPMS Nats Orlando questions

Jantrix

Okay, I've just verified today that I will indeed be able to attend. However, mail in registration and online registration is now closed for the convention.

I've been over the main page and I'm awaiting authorization to post on the IPMS forum, and I cannot figure out whats going on.

The cost of the convention - $50?

I just want to enter the contest is it still $50?

Can I register at the door?

Anyone have an email contact? To get to the ones on the website require Outlook to be set up and I've never used that on this PC, so it's not set up.

Any help would be appreciated.

IPMS had a cutoff date for the $45 registration. Put your cursor over the person's name and then look in the lower left corner of your screen. You should see the person's email address. If you click on it you'll go to Outlook. Don't click - just write down the address and then type it into your email address (it works for me).

By the way, I'm working model registration and convention registration but I don't if about paying at the door to get into the contest. I know several people who are going for a day - I don't think they plan on entering the contest, though.

Its a lot faster to pre register but there will be a walk up registration table at the show. I plan on going Friday and I'll register upon arrival at the show. The IPMS only asks that your membership the the association be in good standing. Also, If you look on the IPMS 2012 convention web site there is a FAQ page.

Well guys, that tears it. $50 to enter a contest......to compete.....that ain't happening. I know that there is cool stuff happening the week of the convention, but I can't afford the time off to enjoy it. I was going to have to take a vacation day to go up on Friday to drop off models, so that would be a further loss. I'll probably show up on Saturday and see ya'll but I can't justify the cost. Especially after I just now joined the IPMS to be able to compete.

Sorry. :( And thanks for info.

Edited by Jantrix

Well guys, that tears it. $50 to enter a contest......to compete.....that ain't happening. I know that there is cool stuff happening the week of the convention, but I can't afford the time off to enjoy it. I was going to have to take a vacation day to go up on Friday to drop off models, so that would be a further loss. I'll probably show up on Saturday and see ya'll but I can't justify the cost. Especially after I just now joined the IPMS to be able to compete.

Sorry. :( And thanks for info.

Yeah Rob, unfortunately this kind of an expense for a model contest is not for everyone. This is a big deal contest with a high price tag to put on so the show organizers have to share the expense somewhere. In this case it's everywhere. $50 Dollars is a lot for entry but is multiple days of full access (if you choose) and any of the little extras in the registration packet such as the yearly decal sheet that every National convention provides. But the bottom line is it's everyones choice to participate or not. To me the expense is worthy as it isn't every year that you get to compete in a show at this caliber and size.

Of course Daryl and I, and anyone else that may be with us, have no intentions of shelling out the $60 dollar dinner price tag before the awards ceremony on Saturday night. That is just too far over the top, IMHO.

I was under the impression that if you were an active IPMS member (even just locally) you paid $5 to enter the contest. That $50 is for all- access for all the seminars,activities etc.and unlimited models entries. That's what I experienced at the Nats in 2011 here in Phoenix. I URGE you to go just for the sheer amount of all types of modeling. Unless you don't have a pulse :D You WILL be blown away. I've been to 3 Nats now and everytime they just get better. I even took a second place in 2011(okay so there were only 2 entries) ;) Definitely check out the vendor area too. Tell the folks at registration that you want to enter the contest as cheaply as possible. Most everyone there is a modeler too.

I was under the impression that if you were an active IPMS member (even just locally) you paid $5 to enter the contest. That $50 is for all- access for all the seminars,activities etc.and unlimited models entries.

From what I have read, you must be an IPMS member just to enter the contest, for $50, regardless of how much of the convention you are there to see.

Anyone else can get in to view the model/vendors for $5.

Jim is involved with the contest, I figure if I was wrong, he'd have set me straight. And yes, I am going to attend. Just not to compete.

I paid the $45 registration fee to get into the contest, vendors, and seminars. I've never been to an IPMS national event and thought that's what you're supposed to do. According to the model registration computers, there are over 800 participants already. I registered people today from Brazil, PR, Spain, Canada, and from all over the USA. Unreal attendance. I had only a little time to get to 1 of 2 vendor rooms today. More tomorrow.

This is my first IPMS nationals and maybe the last I'll ever attend, Rob. There seems to be very little organization from the host chapter. Most of the model cars have been moved 3 times already because of lack of space and planning. The boats and airplanes have all the room they want but the automotive items are extremely limited. I heard today from people of the host chapter that the model room room doors will close at 5:00pm on Friday for judging. I also heard 5:30, 6:00 and 7:00pm. So who knows for sure?

I have the same schedule you have and it does look as if the model room will close at 2:30pm on Saturday. I have no idea why. The judging is supposed to be done Friday night after the room closes at whatever time.

I helped organize the model master sign in sheets into numerical order twice today. There seems to be over 2,000 participants already.

The host chapter didn't seem to anticipate the apparently high number of attendees.

You may want to think about saving your time and money and come up to the FAST contest in October.

It's all over but the shouting now. The vendors are gone and the model room was locked at 2:30pm. Now we have to wait until 11:00pm tonight to be able to get in the room and pack all the models - in an hour!! That'll happen, I'm sure.

This was the first national contest I've ever attended. It was great being able to meet 3 or 4 guys from this forum and meeting a whole bunch of other builders. The lack of organization was surprising - maybe because it was so big. I'm told 2700 entries by 400 builders and 359 in the automotive categories. I much prefer the JaxCon show and even better the MAGS shows. But that's only me.

Yeah, it was a crazy show, especially when you consider how large this is each year. And if you've never been to a show of this scope then it might tend to overwhelm you and how it's run. It's almost expected that the host club didn't consider just how many automotive subjects they would have on their tables because it differs from one year to the next. It was frustrating at first on Friday, to think that it took 1 1/2 hours to place 13 models on the tables but the efforts by the club members to rearrange and make room was to be commended. All in all it worked out. Seeing the international participation was very cool and the level of builds was phenominal.

It was also cool to see an automotive subject take overall best in show. It's virtually unheard of. The only other one that I know of was Mark Jones winning best in show a number of years ago in either Phoenix or Oklahoma, I can't remember which. I know that I had a great time, met some great and interesting people and saw some incredible models. I look forward to another one sometime down the road.

I took over 1,000 pictures so it will take some time to download them into my photo site. As soon as I do I will provide the link.

The convention moves around the country, local chapters bid on the right to host it. next year it is in Longmont, Co, a little north of Denver, in 2014 it will be held at Hampton Virginia, that is near Virginia Beach.

As far as banquet prices are concerned, I agree that 50 bucks is way to much, but go to your local large hotel and ask for prices for a banquet that can hold 300 people and see what the prices are. Just did that here in St. Louis and was told $48.50 per person. ouch

tb

I believe it's Loveland, CO.

What a great time we had!! Marcia spent all day everyday somewhere in DisneyWorld and I was at the model contest (and vendors). Since Marcia's brother lives in Colorado Springs, we might plan a trip to the 1013 IPMS show.

We went off site for dinner every night - Lone Star (twice), Chevy's, Applebee's and never spent over $40.00 on dinner for both of us. We brought yogurt (Marcia) and Twinkies & chocolate milk (me) for breakfast. We also packed wine, Tostitos, RC Cola and Jim Beam to take along.

We did go to the on site cafeteria one day for lunch. We shared a $8.73 cheeseburger and fries. It was terrible but what you'd expect from a hotel.

Yo Larry - SHINY :) :) :) RULES!!!

Edited by crazyjim

Yeah, it was a crazy show, especially when you consider how large this is each year. And if you've never been to a show of this scope then it might tend to overwhelm you and how it's run. It's almost expected that the host club didn't consider just how many automotive subjects they would have on their tables because it differs from one year to the next. It was frustrating at first on Friday, to think that it took 1 1/2 hours to place 13 models on the tables but the efforts by the club members to rearrange and make room was to be commended. All in all it worked out. Seeing the international participation was very cool and the level of builds was phenominal.

It was also cool to see an automotive subject take overall best in show. It's virtually unheard of. The only other one that I know of was Mark Jones winning best in show a number of years ago in either Phoenix or Oklahoma, I can't remember which. I know that I had a great time, met some great and interesting people and saw some incredible models. I look forward to another one sometime down the road.

I took over 1,000 pictures so it will take some time to download them into my photo site. As soon as I do I will provide the link.

Congrad. on your winnings