Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/18 scale Transkit

Hello there. On ebay, there lists a 1/18 scale transkit for converting a Ferrari 355 into a Koenig Specials "light-tune" car. You all know how much I love Koenig Speicals, so you all know how tempted I am by this kit. And don't worry, I won't bid without having the money first!

Question is, has anybody used a kit like this before and are they worth it? Here is a link to the listing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=110409067968

Anybody worked with these 1/18 scale transkit's? The photo he displays of the finished project looks really cool. Just wish it came with KS logo's for the car.

Would need a set for 1/18 scale Ferrari.

Edited by FujimiLover

hey fujimilover, i never have built with a trans kit before, but i would give it a try! :lol::lol:

just like this one, i really want to build it! its for the tamiya 1/12 ferrari f50, and if you look on the right of the page it shows from stock version and the gt transkit!!!!

http://www.autoplacemodel.com/product/prod...gtcomplete.html

this f50gt transkit is a dream build for me!

Edited by KUZTOMMODELS88

• 3 weeks later...

Back in the mid 90's I did quite a few transkits for a guy in Ohio that imported them from Germany. He had kits for 1/18, and the 1/8 Pocher Ferrari's and Porsche 993's. Most of the kits were fairly strait forward, but one Porsche I did used parts from two Porsche diecasts, from different manufacturers, along with resin, and photo-etch. I still have a 1/18 Bburago F-40 trans kit that has aluminum rims, and tons of photo-etch, along with seatbelts. The kit was kinda pricey, around $250. The kits here look very simple, and the price is right!!!

Thank's man. The Ferrari 355 Trans kit does look simple and if I already had a Ferrari 355 model, I'd go for it. But, unfortunately, I would need to buy the model as well as the kit and I'd have to find a red one.

The seller has told me that the kit works best with the Hot Wheels brand model and is pretty much a bolt on. I can see holes in the bumpers where they are screwed into the factory settings. The rear wing looks a little more difficult. I'm not sure if that's bolted in or glued in at any case I find it difficult to get those thing's to line up properly.

The wheels being of resin color, I'm not sure how I would paint theme to get that nice gold finish their supposed to be.

I'm very tempted by this kit, but would need to find the red Hot Wheels 355 at a reasonable price first. I dont' want to pay 80 bucks for a die-cast and another 80 for the transkit or whatever the price tag was.

The seller also told me that it would come with the Koenig Special badges and logo's which is nice. You can't have a car that "look's" like a KS car without having KS logo's. And you can't just simply slap on KS logo's and call it a KS car. It's gotta have both or neither in my book! :)

Edited by FujimiLover

Thank's! I saved it in my watch-folder. The seller of the transkit suggested the same thing too so it's all even. I'd just hate to repaint a die-cast model for fear of not getting the same nice results as the die-cast. I don't mind painting the body kit to match, assuming the red's are the same. I guess that's the point isn't it? Is to get the red to match.

Anybody have any idea what color Hot Wheels used on this Ferrari? It does not appear to be that orangey red that Italian Red is known for. So, I'm curious. Also, does anybody know what exact color Ferrari used on this particular model? Any way I can get factory matching paint in spray-bottle form?

Noticed I changed my avatar? You like?

Edited by FujimiLover