Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pictures of your kit collections (waiting to be built)

Took these picture well over 5 years ago. At the time i had 1500 unbuilt kits it swelled to over 2300. I have been selling them off the last 3 years and is back down to a lttle over 1500 again. StashWholewall2-vi.jpgStashNo22-vi.jpg Just a couple pics as i have a shelf all around the top of the room with models 2 deep and 6 of the largests plastic tubs full as well

I've got cases of the Lindberg 64 330 Dodge sedan and 64 Pymouth Belvedere hardtop..Just can't get enough..Anyone want to buy a slant 6?

I'll buy multiples of what is my main interests ( old drag cars mainly) I get what I can , when I can, while I can. Theres been WAAAAAAY to many times in the past I'll pass on something only to find out later it's been dis-continued . And I have to find it in the secondary market at a considerable costs markup.( and I'm a tightwad by nature )

as an example I have nearly 3 dozen lindberg 1964 Dodge and Plymouth kits. And probably close to 18-20 or so Polar Lights Charger / Barracuda / Mustang Funnycars ( multiples of each one make/model)

i do have a question , why do people buy that many boxes just to put on shelfs ?

dotn get me wrong i think it looks freaking cool and i would love to go through those collections and see whats in them ..

already see coolness in the pics ..

but in a way i dont really get it ..

i mean you guys are never going to build all the kits in this life time , some people have multiple kist (the same) and i understand some are rare and might become real valuable ..

atm i have 4 kits in stock myself and those are already burning on the shelf ... ooh i want to start them so bad :)

my way is more like i want to build one kit at a time and i would def. like to make a collection of boxes , just i would want to have boxes in stock i want to build and wil build in a certain time frame ..

so anybody wish to explain the idea / feeling / drive behind the hudge collections ? like is that a hobby on its own , just the collecting of kits ?

and again dont get me wrong i think its awsome to see such extensive kit collections > love it

I see where Richard is coming from at 1 time I would buy a kit , build it and refrain which was hard from buying another kit before I was done with the current project.

Then I got the collecting bug and collected model kits until I had over 5000 of them, and one day when i had no more space to store them, and after two moves got tired of paying to have them carefully moved, came to the realization that in five lifetimes I would never be able to build them all, starting selling them off and using the money for model supplies and paying bills.

Now, I regret a lot of the hard to find kits being sold, but I do get why I sold them. I am currently down to about 100 and still trying to sell of the unbuilt kits because what i find my self doing is when i feel burnout on my current project (The Aztec Warrior, or any of the other 30 started, ill go look in the stash to start another one just to burn out on that one, and let it sit in the box) and then you get the point ill just keep adding to the unbuilt pile that I have some never touched in over 12 years. Which isn't unhealthy I just like to finish a model that I have started, but never seem to be able to, the last one completed over a two year process was my hell train build, it was very complicated and took a lot for me to stay on track to finish it, I am trying that with my most fresh and current build the Aztec Warrior but Im finding myself getting off track already.

Its a viscous cycle, and there is the building part of the hobby and the collecting end of the hobby as well which are both very good and healthy, but for me I am trying to get all the current projects finished then go back to the process of after the current build being done, go out and buy another new kit and start on that.

I say that now but keep going thru the remaining models to see what I want to keep, what I want to build, and not part with, like I said earlier I regret a lot of the hard to find kits I have sold in the last few years but keep telling my self that this is the best way to go.

So for me its a struggle, I loved having a garage full (couldn't fit any cars in it) of kits, was like having my own private hobby shop but for me was very difficult to manage, for others would be heaven.

Its one of those things that it depends on the person, having multiple kits for me for a current build means if i lose a part Ill have another one so i dont have to scratch build it or go out and find that Kit, Like the aztec warrior I bought three kits of the same 1950 ford pickup that way I have extra parts, like the doors i cut them out and if i did not like the result have another cab, and so on and so forth. its just up to that individual having cartons of the same exact kit. Some kits build up effortlessly and that is another reason. so you see if you want the stash of 5000 go for it, if buidling 1 then going out and buying the next one for your current project works, go with that as well.

That is what makes this hobby so unique and so fun, you do with it what you want to...

I like to have 2 of everything, one to work out the bugs, and one to do up right. Like a lot of us, if I built one kit a month I would pass on before the stash is used up. But i have an addiction of sorts, despite have 2 dozen vintage AMT 32 Fords, when I find one I just have to get it. My newest fascinaton is with the Japanese shakotan/bosozoku/hippari thing. I am collecting JDM kits and Hippari wheel sets. Its probably a good thing they have to come from overseas or I'd be spending a lot more. And then theres all those Modelhaus tires and wheels................and the new Pegasus Crossbars, soverigns, and chrome reverse, then Round 2 Releases the 49 Merc, the 40 delivery.........I'm in trouble!

Well there are 42 Peterbilt 378 long hauler, 6 Peterbilt 378 and about 30 Peterbilt 377s.

All European trucks are maybe 60 to 70 kits.

Kostas.

Kostas, I love semis and you have an impressive collection, makes me want to build a semi, been building one for a while then lost interest.

I feel left out, i have 4 F1 cars, a C5 racing vette, a 1970 Mustang Mach1/ Boss 302 and 2- 1/12 Shelby GT500's waiting to be built. I did have about 50 total and who knows how many glue bombs before my son was born last year but they all had to go to make room in our apartment. Sucks not having a hobby room anymore but the trade off was worth it.

Edited by jrherald420

I love this thread. I love seeing that I'm not the only addict. I love seeing that my stash, though too big, isn't as big as others. I love looking thru the collections and seeing kits I didn't know existed, and wishing that kit was hidden away never to be finished in my collection. And I'd love to go shopping in some of you guy's houses.

i might as well join the party.

It's hard to get a picture of all of them. They're in a little closet all by themselves. i'm fortuante to have my own studio just for modeling,artwork or whatever.

I've got 37 boxes of parts in the basement,too.

mod1.jpg

mod2.jpg

mod3.jpg

I even cleaned off the bench for you guys. LOL

bench.jpg

IMG_2639-vi.jpg

This is a recent photo of my work bench. The top shelf is just display, but all the boxes on the other shelves represent an unfinished project. This year's New Year's Resolution is to get more of them finished and onto the shelves. I'm currently finishing up the '34 Ford Rat Rod that had been sitting since 2005. There are many more that are much older than that. Let's just say that the putty and paint is more than dry!

Just a question to you guys that have hundreds and thousands of kits do you have insurance on them ?

As far as a seperate insurance rider to cover modle kits specifically ? No

I think I have a rider to cover to cover collectibles / jewelry. Need to ck with the wife god on specifics.