Model Cars Magazine Forum

So you have run out of ideas from the northern six continents.

I have just gotten back into modeling, so I haven't jumped into a scratch build yet, but I hope to someday build some of these vehicles. This is a small collection of photos of unique Antarctica vehicles that are in service working at McMurdo Station, the largest US station on the Ice. I am headed back to the Ice in about six months, so I am hoping to take down some supplies to work on some scratch building while down there. I hope this gives someone some ideas for some builds.

Pegasus%20Penguin%20050.jpg

This is a '50's vintage Cat SD-8LGP. These 'Stretch 8's' were build from 1953 to 1959 by Cat for the US Antarctic Program. There were eight delivered to the Ice and I have heard that there were four sent to Greenland as well. These rigs were stretched 36" in the center section and the tracks are a huge 54" wide. They have incredible draw bar pull rating for the low ground pressure. There are three of these still in service on the Ice. One should be at the SeaBee Museum in Port Hueneme, CA, one is that the bottom of a cravasse in the shear zone of the Ross Sea, and three have been scrapped.

IMG_4345a.jpg

Here is a better view of the width of the tracks.

Delta%20Terra%20Bus%20Sidea.jpg

The next group of vehicles are all made by Foremost in Canada. http://www.foremost.ca/index_vehicles.php

This one is called "Ivan the Terra Bus", everyone that gets off of the plane for the first time in Antarctica and sees Ivan to take them to town. You see all of the returning folks running away from Ivan looking for a ride that goes more than 10 mph.

Delta%20Scharen%20Side.JPG

Delta Scharen is a fuel delivery truck used to resupply fuel tanks in remote areas of town.

Delta%20Two%20from%20Runwaya.jpg

There are three passenger Deltas in town that are used for moving people back and forth to the airfields.

Delta%20Tirea.jpg

The tires are 66x44-25's. These are the same tires used on Monster Trucks, so these would be easy to get tires, at least the Chevron style.

Nod_3.jpg

Nod_4.jpg

These two trucks are Nodwell 110 units and they are both older ARFF trucks. They were slated for disposal a few years ago, but they are in service for a few more years now until replacement units are secured.

Red_1.jpg

There are two of these units on the Ice. One is a 4-door unit, and a 2-door unit as well. They are also airfield fire apparatus.

Red_6.jpg

This is the newest ARFF rigs. There are four of them in serivce now. They are 2005 and 2006 F-550's with Mattracks or Grip Tracks.

If anyone wants some additional photos let me know. There are some cool vehicles down there.

R.J.

http://picasaweb.google.com/airrj1

Edited by airrj
  • Like 1

I guess those would qualify as Large Scale! Those are some unique vehicles and would be cool to see built up. I'd defiantly be carrying a pocket of clothes and a trunk of building supplies if I was going there!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

:unsure: Thank you for posting those pictures! I, for one would love to see more please post somemore or you can email me directly. So what do they do with the old equipment like the cats and "Ivan" when they are finished or worn out? Do they have a "bone yard" where all that likd of stuff is put so that parts can be pulled if needed to keep other equipment running? I can't see hauling an old D9 away as being practical- but maybe they do. It looks like one of those places that most of us know exists but not a lot ofpeople wonder about daily life for the people and equipment who live and work there. It would make a neat diorama if one was to replicate parts of the facilities there - and a unique way of preserving a piece of history. A diorama of the layout of the facility and one of the shops where the equipment is serviced and worked on.

Another question - how do those newer trucks hold up in the severe cold with all of the plastic that they have in them? How do the electronic components do in the cold? It has to be a hard life there for any type of equipment.

I like the shot with the penguin init.. they're cute little guys although they can probably be a nuisance I am sure. I have heard and read that they are not afraid of people - is that really so? Hmmm.. so many questions and more coming to mind as I write.. Thanks again for posting. :rolleyes::)

• 8 months later...