Model Cars Magazine Forum

old wrecker and tow truck pictures

When the Can Do kit came out before I built it I talked to the owner of it it was accurate and they had one built and in thier office I bought 3 when they first came out . if I can find the plans one of the model Mags put out for scratch building the Holmes 750 twin boom I will be glad to make copys

When the Can Do kit came out before I built it I talked to the owner of it it was accurate and they had one built and in thier office I bought 3 when they first came out . if I can find the plans one of the model Mags put out for scratch building the Holmes 750 twin boom I will be glad to make copys

I'm sorry, Madd Trucker, but the kit has many inaccuracies. The "Can Do" wrecker is a Pete 379, the kit is based off Revell AG's Pete 359 kit, which I also have. The wrecker body is correct, but everything forward of it is wrong! The 379 is a completely different truck compared to the 359. The photos on the box proves the kit is not accurate, the engine shown in the pictures of the real truck is a CAT, and the model has a Cummins! The interior of a Pete 379 is also no where near what is in the kit, and the cab and hood of a 379 is wider than the 359 cab and hood in the kit. The roof marker lights in the kit are also no where near what is shown in the pictures of the real truck on the box. I've driven trucks for over 12 years and drove wreckers for a couple of those, and I tend to notice the little details. I even asked former truck resin caster Clint Freeman at one of the shows of the former model club I was a member of why, with all the detail he put into one of his models, he didn't put in the air line running up the shifter to the range selector.

It is a little rusty and bent, but here is the only wrecker photo I have...

junk47.jpg

I don't have any closer photos of the winch and such.

junk48.jpg

If I ever get back to the yard and it is there I am going to crawl all over that thing!!

If you are interested in older wreckers and tow trucks, and not only American prototypes, you may be interested in the book

Wreckers & Recovery Vehicles by the Olyslager Auto Library.

It is copyrighted 1972 and the ISBN No. is 0 7232 1466 2

It can still be found on the internet quite frequently for very little money.

This is the book:

CCF08042010_00000.jpg

And here are a few examples:

CCF08042010_00001.jpg

CCF08042010_00002.jpg

CCF08042010_00003.jpg

Nick, personally I have had experence with Vulcan rollbacks , their "Eagle Claw " and their piece of Junk Cradle Lift ! I wouldn't own a piece of anything Vulcan ! Now , if you want information as to the mechanicals of their so called wreckers , you have my e-mail. Ed Shaver

Nick, personally I have had experence with Vulcan rollbacks , their "Eagle Claw " and their piece of Junk Cradle Lift ! I wouldn't own a piece of anything Vulcan ! Now , if you want information as to the mechanicals of their so called wreckers , you have my e-mail. Ed Shaver

Ed, the "Eagle Claw" I referred to actually was made by Eagle, the one with the spring loaded "claws" at the end of the wheel lift that automatically wrap around the tires of the vehicle being towed. Of course, Vulcan does make one very similar, which is called the "Intruder", that also has "claws", but they are hydraulic and do not automatically wrap around the tires. I never operated the "Cradle Lift", in fact never even seen one until the pics here, but I must agree, that does look like a piece of junk!! The Eagle Claw and Intruder both are very good for repos, just "hook and book", as they say on TRU TV's "Operation Repo"!

Ed what was I thinking I should have asked you.

I got a great explanation from Ed,

April 8, 2010 9:10:33 PM

The cradle lift operates using the overhead crane and TWO pans that are chained paralel to the uderside of a vehicle .These two pans are seperate because of the varying widths of the tires and of course suspension differences .

Now, with the disable vehicle on the ground , place ONE pan at the rear of the Front tire as we are going to tow this one from the front . You would do the same for the rear if you were to tow the vehicle from the rear . You are noe ready to place the front pan paralel as you did the rear pan in FRONT of the front tire . Then chain the two pans together with the supplied chains on BOTH sides . You will note that there are TWO triangle shaped rings in which the TWO straps that hang on EITHER SIDE OF THE OVERHEAD Bar . WATCH YOU'RE HEAD ! It's here that most drivers will hit themselves as they are attaching one or both straps .Now CAUTION HERE, Make sure that the straps will not do damage on the fenders of the vehicle If the pans are well centered, this should not occur ! Raising the vehicle , you then will notice a "Tounge that is dangling from the center of the front pan . This needs to be securely attached to the ajoining piece on the wrecker bed . You do this by raising the crane , and running the IN -OUT portion of you're overhead crane . Now lock down the tounge with the locking pin . In states that require rear towing lights , it's time to attach these to the rear most corners of the disabled vehicle . if you'r e towing from the rear , make sure to SECURE THE STEERING WHEEL !!!!!!!!!! If towing dollies are required such as four flats or in the case of MODERN 4 X $ 's you should place them under the rear or front axles to prevent damage at this time using a good floorjack .

Hey Nick,

I think I have already given you these pics, but if not, then here they are. The first is a roll back I built from scratch (from the back of the cab reward: the cab is the stake bed truck). There are a few shots of the underneath. I asked a guy in a parking lot who was dropping of a car if he would put his roll back through it's paces and let me photograph it. He did and I went home and built this from the photo's I took. Best research you can do and most tow guys will be impressed that you want to build a model of what they drive.

The second one is a rat rod wrecker that I saw at Billet Proof in Ocala last year. I took shots to build the thing. Notice the gear shifter and the sprockets and chain.....totally cool.

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z83/Karmodeler2/Rollback/

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z83/Karmodeler2/Ratrod%20wrecker/

David

Nice pictures, David. I really like your rollback. I've been thinking of doing one similar with parts of a Ford Louisville I got from a friend of mine, he gave me the cab and frame, but no engine or bed. :wacko:

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Nick,

Dont know if you are still looking for pics, but try these out:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164719

http://tow411.yuku.com/forums/92/Vintage

Might be something interesting here.

Rick

Hi, thank you, I actually came across Tow 411 around 2 months ago, it was very handy!

thank you for the other link, I never found that one before.

Nick

Hey Nick, glad that one was of interest. Heres one that has always caught my eye ,a 46 Chevy, thought the Revell 41

kit might me a good base to start off with and build something like this. Use Plaskits 2 ton wheels and tires and

think it might be a good build opportunity. A lot of scratch work for sure but well worth it.

http://www.stovebolt.com/gallery/images/hardy_spanky_1946b.jpg

http://www.stovebolt.com/gallery/images/hardy_spanky_1946c.jpg

Rick