Model Cars Magazine Forum

Obscure Kits You Never Knew Were Made...Until Now

Steve is correct. AMT issued many Jo-Han kits from 66 through the mid 70's

That is only ONE of the Jo-Han Javelin/AMX offered in an AMT box

They also offerd the Penski Mark Donahue Nascar/Trans Am kit.

It was available both in stores and through Coca-Cola. I have 3 for Proof!!

1 bought in a JJ Newberry's the other 2 ordered from a card in a carton of Coke!!!

AMT also boxed the 66-68 & 70 Olds Toronados. I have the 67 & 70 in AMT and 2 70's in Jo-Han boxes

AMT also used the same Blue-Steak Stock car tires in their nascar kits that Jo-Han did.

How about a model of the machine that makes the models? The molds in the machine are of itself.

bandai-injection-mold-1m.jpg

I found two of these at a yard sale, both unbuilt. The kid told me his dad got them while on a business trip to Japan

DSC00046-vi.jpg

Do I sense a new Community Build? :lol:

You offering to supply a link/purchase location??

I have seen these on evilbay from RecoveryChannel, Tokyo Hobby, & TomChina only!!!

I would love to get one or both of those kits!!

How about a Drum Set, Banjo, Saxaphone, etc??

Bad news, The Banjo& Sax were at least $125.oo++ EACH!!

and over $20.oo more shipping

You offering to supply a link/purchase location??

I have seen these on evilbay from RecoveryChannel, Tokyo Hobby, & TomChina only!!!

I would love to get one or both of those kits!!

How about a Drum Set, Banjo, Saxaphone, etc??

Bad news, The Banjo& Sax were at least $125.oo++ EACH!!

and over $20.oo more shipping

How about this drum set ? Been in my closet for years . . . might even put it together one day !

Untitled_zpscc0ec52c.png

Austin, I'm not letting those babies go, I'm a '73/'74 Javelin hoarder, I love that car! If I could ever get the reference pics I want , I'll tackle correcting the horrible chassis and building a few of 'em myself!

I can respect that,the day I get a javelin Real or model they will have to pry it out of my cold dead hands. If you do start building one,please start a build thread on it.

I've been talking to a few 1:1 Javelin owners on the various AMC Forums, and they're trying to find me the pics I want of the chassis and suspension so i can finally build one that's close to accurate, as soon as I get some pics, I'll definitely start a WIP on it!

that drum set is available on ebay right at this moment for $22.50 with free shipping. edit: from more than one source, must have been reissued recently?

do a search on pearl drum set model

youre welcome

Edited by jbwelda

I think AMT issued the JoHan '74 Hornet F/C, too:

DragginFlyAMTHornetFC1.jpg

DragginFlyAMTHornetFC2.jpg

The AMT-boxed Hornet funny car is a '73. (The rear of the '73 and '74 differ.) It's the only Jo-Han AMC Hornet that AMT sold. Jo-Han produced annual kits (funny car version only) from 1970 through 1973, and did offer it with the '74 body towards the end of the Seventies. The '74 body funny car is probably the toughest one to find; it wasn't around long.

Other AMT-boxed Jo-Han kits include Olds Toronados ('67, '68, and '70), Olds 4-4-2 ('69 in one box, '70 in two different boxes), two-seater AMX ('68 in one box, '69 and '70 in two boxes for each year). (Jo-Han did not offer the AMX kits in its own packaging alongside AMT.)

AMT also sold the '71 Mark Donohue Trans-Am Javelin/AMX, the stock '74 Javelin/AMX, '72 Torino NASCAR version, '70 Challenger funny car, and '72 Maverick pro stock. The AMT/Jo-Han deal started in late '66 with the '67 Toronado, and I believe the Maverick was the last kit offered under the arrangement. Nobody has ever written about this that I'm aware of; it would be interesting to know who set the deal up, who chose the items that AMT would have access to, and why the deal ended.

The AMT-boxed Hornet funny car is a '73. (The rear of the '73 and '74 differ.) It's the only Jo-Han AMC Hornet that AMT sold. Jo-Han produced annual kits (funny car version only) from 1970 through 1973, and did offer it with the '74 body towards the end of the Seventies. The '74 body funny car is probably the toughest one to find; it wasn't around long.

Other AMT-boxed Jo-Han kits include Olds Toronados ('67, '68, and '70), Olds 4-4-2 ('69 in one box, '70 in two different boxes), two-seater AMX ('68 in one box, '69 and '70 in two boxes for each year). (Jo-Han did not offer the AMX kits in its own packaging alongside AMT.)

AMT also sold the '71 Mark Donohue Trans-Am Javelin/AMX, the stock '74 Javelin/AMX, '72 Torino NASCAR version, '70 Challenger funny car, and '72 Maverick pro stock. The AMT/Jo-Han deal started in late '66 with the '67 Toronado, and I believe the Maverick was the last kit offered under the arrangement. Nobody has ever written about this that I'm aware of; it would be interesting to know who set the deal up, who chose the items that AMT would have access to, and why the deal ended.

I think I had heard someone some wheres talking about the workers protesting at the AMT factory,thus making them have to get the model from another company. Maybe Art Anderson can shed some light on the subject,he knows A LOT about the modeling industry.

I also have the same same kit, '32 Ford Roadster (blue box)...have had it for at least 5 months...Bought it Complete...All in Very Good Condition...

I have yet to find this kit.. on eBay....Therefore i do believe it is a Obscure kit....

It is to my understanding this kit was offered thru a Mail Order.....By The Ford Motor Company at the time......Date ? Early '70's ?

Correction....i have seen this kit on E-bay.....but not complete...just for parts.....and one was a fake...and she wanted a lot of $$$ for it..

I don't think there is many of these kits around........Perhaps some feed back on this forum could shed more light on this..

Well Cheers to all...Don

I also have the same same kit, '32 Ford Roadster (blue box)...have had it for at least 5 months...Bought it Complete...All in Very Good Condition...

I have yet to find this kit.. on eBay....Therefore i do believe it is a Obscure kit....

It is to my understanding this kit was offered thru a Mail Order.....By The Ford Motor Company at the time......Date ? Early '70's ?

Correction....i have seen this kit on E-bay.....but not complete...just for parts.....and one was a fake...and she wanted a lot of $$$ for it..

I don't think there is many of these kits around........Perhaps some feed back on this forum could shed more light on this..

Well Cheers to all...Don

Those were offered between 1962 and 1965-66. There were four: the two Deuces, the '25 T double kit, and the '36 Ford coupe/roadster.

I believe the '32 Vicky was issued first, in '62. The dealer issue may have appeared before the kit was available in stores.

The roadster was next. It is the Sport Roadster with the sidemount spare tires. Some revisions were made to this kit after its first issue (mainly to the optional parts), I believe this dealer issue was the first to include the revisions. Oddly, for a Ford promotional issue, the optional engine is a Chrysler 392.

Next up was the double T kit. Again, it was revised from its first issue. The coupe body has the stock height roof. The parts configuration is similar to that of the Round 2 reissue with the stock height coupe body.

The '36 Ford was last. My kit has a decal sheet with a 10/65 date on the back. This kit is similar to the first issue '36 with the chopped coupe roof, except the optional Pontiac engine is not included. I'm pretty certain that the '61 Imperial headlight units (for the custom version) are gone too.

Considering how old these issues are, they aren't as tough to find as are other issues of the same kits. The Vicky and double T seem to be the "most common", with the roadster being next, and the '36 being the toughest one to find. Your experience may vary, however...