Model Cars Magazine Forum

'51 Chevy Hardtop 60's Style Street Rod - Update 01-07

Bernard Kron

As I finish my Lakes Deuce 5-window I’ve started this little side project – an AMT ’51 Chevy Hardtop done as an early 60’s street rod. Nosed, decked and shaved, with frenched headlights and the stock grill bar, a Revell ’49 Merc rear bumper at the front, stock rear bumper, rear wheel wells cut open and kit rake (raised shackles at the rear and dropped spindles at the front). The tires are Modelhaus, pinners at the front and M&H whitewall slicks at the rear. The wheels are kit fronts and Modelhaus rears. They will get Modelhaus chrome spyders. The taillights will be stock units, power will be a Revell Parts Pac small block Chevy V8 with dual quads. Paint is Duplicolor Gunmetal metallic and Testors Revving Red metallic.

Nothing very elaborate but a subject I don’t do all that often (it’s got fenders!). The style, too, is one I haven’t seen done that often among contemporary car modelers. Hopefully it’ll come out OK…

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

DSCF0999-web.jpg
DSCF1006-web.jpg
DSCF1009-web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

• 1 month later...

Thanx everyone for the kind words!

It’s been over a month since I last posted something about this project. In fact I’ve been plugging away steadily on it except for a two week period in early December when I was traveling and another gap to nurse a post-holiday cold. At this stage I’m ready for final assembly so here are some detail pictures as I finish things up

First off is the motor, a Revell Parts Pak small block Chevy, largely stock except for the ramhorn exhausts from my parts box. I left a fair amount of chrome on it to complement the shiny metallic paint of the body and the general “show ‘n’ go” of this street rod.

DSCF1109-web.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures of the interior. It’s largely stock except for some AMT bucket seats from my parts box. I deleted the rear seat but the roll bar is from the kit.

DSCF1118-web.jpg

DSCF1121-web.jpg

Here are the Modelhaus spiders mounted to the kit Chevy steelies at the front and some deep-dish Modelhaus steelies on the rear.

wheels-and-tires-web.jpg

The general vibe of this car will be that of a “boy racer” street machine, with a fancy paint job and its nose down rake instead of the nose up stance of a real weekend racing gasser. So I thought I would include the three quintessential “boy racer” decals of the 60’s: Mooneyes, Mr. Horsepower (the Clay Smith Cams woodpecker), and the sly reference of STP. Thousands of cars ran these decals without ever getting near anything resembling Moon equipment, a hot cam, or even heavy duty lubricant in the crankcase.

DSCF1131-web.jpg

The bodywork is foiled and most parts have been test fitted and adjusted. I hope to have this one completed within the next few days.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

Thanx!

Here’s another update. I’m in the throws of assembly, detailing and cleanup. Here are shots of the final install on the grill and bumpers and the Archer louver transfers I added to the hood. I’m hoping to tie up the loose ends and get her done in the next couple of days.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

DSCF1143-web.jpg
DSCF1133-web.jpg
DSCF1135-web.jpg