Model Cars Magazine Forum

Restoring and old bomb: '81 Corvette

ismaelg

Hello,

Seeing modelers like MJ Styro and others having so much fun restoring old glue and paint bombs, bringing them back to life after what seemed like a worthless cause, I want to jump in.

These 2 incomplete bombs were in a "junker" of parts I got on eBay a while ago. These are the old Monogram snap '82 Collectors Corvette.

Yes the model is not the greatest in the world, yes it is easily available, yes it's been reissued, and YES I have a few still in shrinkwrap, but that's not the point.

Let's see if something nice can come out of this.

Yes, I think that's fingerpaint!!! :blink::o

DSCF2258-vi.jpg

DSCF2641-vi.jpg

DSCF2635-vi.jpg

Back in the summer of 1986, just weeks after my 16th birthday (and learning driver's permit) I went for a college summer computer internship at the Lawrence Livermore National Lab in California. While there, I saw plenty of nice cars, but one day I saw a 1981 white Corvette with dark red interior. At the time the car was 5 years old, but it was detailed like show car. I fell in love with it and always wanted to do a model of that.

Thanks,

Edited by ismaelg

And I was just noticing this kit is now discontinued again :o

Should be fun...I have some Corvette Americas in a similar state. Having seen a handful of them when I lived in Pasadena, I've always had a soft spot for that very long Corvette. One of these days I'll get one of them back up to snuff. Part of me wonders what a C6 America would look like :blink:

I have some Corvette Americas in a similar state. Having seen a handful of them when I lived in Pasadena, I've always had a soft spot for that very long Corvette. One of these days I'll get one of them back up to snuff.

I have 2 America junker bodies but they are beyond hope. For some reason the plastic became so brittle it crumbles and desintegrates in your hands like dry foam. And none is complete. I plan to use some parts of that for this project.

Part of me wonders what a C6 America would look like :lol:

:lol::D:blink::blink::blink::blink::o

Hello,

First order of business: Tighten the gaps and make the hood fit better by extending it to the sides. The body will also be massaged in order to make it fit as good as possibe. I plan to glue it shut and make it curbside.

DSCF2257-vi.jpg

DSCF2259-vi.jpg

Thanks,

Ismael,

Your restoration is going to be great. I've always liked the "shark" Corvettes. ime I walk into the basement, I see my disassembled 1/8 scale 1982 Collectors edition corvette, which I built in 1983-84. I painted it with a deep brown, with a tri-tone brown interior, and the kit decal stripes. IO'd love to get a set of those 1/8 scale stripes, strip the brown off, and get some Champagne Paint (a lot of it), and re-do the car. I may even leave it brown (if I can rub the Pactra Enamel out), as it doesn't look terrible, and I believe it's all there. The prices of those kits have been pretty high on Ebay. I also have a '65 to restore, that belongs to my mom. I painted it with Pactra Candy Orange. I haven't seen it in about 20 years, but I think I can resurrect it. I had a set of 1/8 scale American 5-spokes, but I misplaced them. If I can get a set of steelies and dog dish caps for my 1/8 scale deuce, I'll purloin the Americans from that kit for that one.

Hello,

The body has been cleaned. Sanded and shaved all emblems, locks, handles etc. and removed the snap tabs. Filled the oversized mirror location holes. Panel lines were deepen and the first coat of primer shows how it's going. The hood is white because I alternate gray and white primers when doing bodywork.

DSCF2261-vi.jpg

DSCF2262-vi.jpg

Thanks,

Hello,

Mirrors were cleaned up. Horrible mounting tabs removed. I pinned them at the base and drilling twice measuring once(or was it the other way around?) they can easily be installed after painting.

mirrors-vi.jpg

Thanks,

Hello,

After a good cleanup, primer and ready for color. I added the seat backs and reworked the steering column. Added door pulls/handrests from the parts box. The steering wheel was cut off. I may use flocking, but the glass parts are tinted dark....

DSCF2637-vi.jpg

Time, the most precious commodity :P

Thanks,

Hello,

Body was painted Cobra Colors Arctic white followed by a pearl midcoat and clear. It is very hard to photograph but I love how it looks even before polishing.

DSCF2666b-vi.jpg

DSCF2667-vi.jpg

Thanks,

Nice job Izzy... its fun restoring old bombs and I love the C3 body style. It always looked like a spider squatting from the rear!

I have to build mine now after seeing yours. I'm going to kitbash mine with a 78 Pace Car for the aluminum wheels, windshield header and t-tops, clear glass,better chassis, exhaust system and engine block. I cannot replicate the glass t-tops correctly, I may have them Plated, or smoked. Between the '78, and '82, I can fill a few holes, as I like the Monogram 1/24 body better than the MPC 1/25 bodies.

On this episode:

Remember I'm NOT doing a wild street machine, or a race car. I'm doing an early to mid 80's cool ride. These cars were not the fire breathers they were in the late '60s.

I want to use these wheels.

DSCF2353b-vi.jpg

But I can't seem to find a proper set of tires. Again, period correct. After checking in my tires stash (here is some of it)

P4187646-vi.jpg

I decided to make my own Big 'n littles. I want the same type of tire, same brand, same height but slightly wider in the back. Just like my 1:1.

So out came Rusty Trusty...

DSCF2622-vi.jpg

a careful off center cut:

DSCF2620-vi.jpg

put the wide parts together

DSCF2618-vi.jpg

some sanding and careful gluing:

DSCF2625-vi.jpg

and TADA!!!! you have your own Big 'n littles!!!

What do you think?

Thanks,

Hello,

I can't thank Steve Milberry enough for showing how to do this trick. This really adds to the character of the car.

DSCF3038-vi.jpg

Thanks Steve!

This will be the last update for a while, maybe until it's finished.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I like the glass T-tops on late Sharks. This been a snap kit bomb restoration, it would require major surgery to remove the tops and make them out of clear plastic. And Clearview 2000 is no longer available :rolleyes:

So the best way to replicate a tinted glass top is to have a super glossy black finish on them. Careful masking was needed since they are molded in place.

Cobra Colors ultra black

DSCF2988-vi.jpg

Healthy coat of cear..

DSCF3017b-vi.jpg

... and polish the heck out of it

DSCF3019b-vi.jpg

What do you think?

Thanks,