Model Cars Magazine Forum

66 Impala

Dom87SS

just starting to get back into models, its more of a winter thing for me since the summer is filled with some sort of racing nearly every weekend. Anyway this is a little project ive wanted to do for a while, and now the kits are readily available i can tear them up with no care. Plans are to be based around a stock style suspension car, full interior, BBC/th400, single 91mm turbo, air to water intercooler, on drag radials. I started this about a week ago and am takin it pretty slowly here. This is the second cage ive ever done so it does need some work to make it more authentic, but is gonna work for me and this project the way it is. Let me know what you guys think of it so far.

here is the wheel and tire combo ill probably go with

img02920298942.jpg

img02990344326.jpg

checking the fit of the cage to the A and C pillars

img03156316948.jpg

img03176331805.jpg

img03206371971.jpg

img03196346862.jpg

Here is how i intend the car to sit

img03326501405.jpg

img03336521262.jpg

img03296475686.jpg

Edited by Dom87SS

Dom, with all that GREAT interior cageing, I PERSONALLY think that you should have removed the back seat. but THAT'S just MY opinion. You don't see too many race cars with them. But other than that, I think it's commin out GREAT so far! Gonna be a real looker when she's done! Where did you get the Drag Radials? They look REALLY good! Great work so far, keep it up!:lol::):blink:

well i wanted to retain a street car look and all the stock interior. The cage is actually a pretty simple one, it just has a funny car hoop added to it. I probably would have tossed the back seat and part of the floor if it were a 25.2/25.3/25.5 style cage.

As for the radials, its a design i made in CAD and make on my own.

I don't think I know many if anyone here nor anyone from Illinois looking to make radials. I'm going to be making a bunch of different sizes and patterns, hopefully soon.

As for the car, the stock flat hood is staying. Its going to be an injection manifold that I'm designing and will be making soon.

What is the bag thing on the roll cage?I think it looks great but the cage is a little overkill for a car with all the furniture still in it.

here is the bracket above the backseat i made to hold the intercooler up in the place i want it.

to me, the amount of interior isnt what justifies a vehicles performance ability. If you look at it, its a standard style 8 point cage, i just added a funny car hoop to it. It doesnt have any floor bars, a double frame rail, an X door bar, rocker bars, or even a dash bar. Plus i like the street car look way over the gutted race car look.

I think it's called an "ice bag", and it cools the air from the turbo. But I don't know much about turbos B)

the air goes in the bottom and through a mini radiator and out the top. Water/ice is then stored in a tank, usually in the trunk, with a pump to keep the radiator part cold. This cools the air passing through it lowering the air inlet temps.

Very cool project, I'll be watching it! Where are those Drag Radials from? Nice job on the rollcage also, I like '66 Impala body too so this one will be very nice one when finished. Keep these coming, very good looking so far. :lol::lol:

i will be selling them, hopefully come january. im looking at making slicks in different sizes, then an assortment of different drag radials in different sizes. Well see how it goes. Same goes for the turbos and intercoolers along with a few other items im currently working on designing for scale use.

made a mount for the turbo , modified the floor to tuck the engine/trans up higher and further back, trans cross member, motor plate.

img04010368009.jpg

img04020380102.jpg

my first set of headers ive ever built. not the best by any means, but after spending hours redoing this part then that part i said im done, it is what it is. Now i gotta keep moving on with the collectors, merge pipe, crossover, exhaust, and intercooler piping which all im sure will be a joy to fit in that small space.

img04260411959.jpg

img04270420233.jpg

i will be selling them, hopefully come january. im looking at making slicks in different sizes, then an assortment of different drag radials in different sizes. Well see how it goes. Same goes for the turbos and intercoolers along with a few other items im currently working on designing for scale use.

Can you tell, how do you make them? It's just too hard to buy something from USA... I would like to try my hand out there...

Impala looks very good so far, keep us posted. :)