Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mongoose II 71 Duster

AZ Boy

Just finished this. Modified the wheel wells, the rear spoiler, scratchbuilt the doghouse and added the hood bump in front of the injector. Did the usual chassis modifications (lowered chassis, plumbed/wired engine, etc). I'm happy with the results, but not thrilled. Hope you enjoy.

Aaron

Mongoose063a.jpg

Mongoose058a.jpg

Mongoose054a.jpg

Mongoose052a.jpg

Mongoose050a.jpg

Very Nice Build. I think this turned out fantastic. I have to ask is this 1/16th or 1/25th scale and if its 1/16th where did you pick up the decals from??

also ment to ask are you going to be out at the Desert Scale Classic in April?? would be great to see this in person.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Just finished this. Modified the wheel wells, the rear spoiler, scratchbuilt the doghouse and added the hood bump in front of the injector. Did the usual chassis modifications (lowered chassis, plumbed/wired engine, etc). I'm happy with the results, but not thrilled. Hope you enjoy.

Aaron

Aaron, nicely done! I have the same thing planned for one of my Mongoose Dusters.

Thanks for the comments guys. Rich, those wheels are the Cragar Supertricks from Comp Resins. I like them a lot. But they're flat on the backside, so I had to trim down some stock Revell super tricks for the backside. Chris - This is 1/25th. Its from the new issue Navy Duster. For those who are building one of these, the set of headers I got in the box were way too long. The came away from the body by at least a scale 16 inches. Thankfully, I had a set in my parts box. I'm pretty sure they were from the JJ Vega. Those are just the right length to clear the body. And yes, I'll be at the DSC in a month. Hope to see you there!

Aaron B)

Man, your right, it is pretty bad! You better box it up real carefully and send it to me so I can get rid of it for you! You don't want it to infect your other models so you should do this right away!

:D

Great build! What paint and color did you use? Thanks.

This was just Tamyia Metallic Blue over their silver. Be honest, I don't know if it color matches the 1:1 Mongoose, but I love that Tamiaya paint. It may be the combination of their nozzle and paint formulation, but it goes on fantastic everytime.

It got interesting when I tried to clear over the decals with the 'wrong' Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic (yes, I bought the Walmart version). Won't make that mistake again. The decals started to 'pucker' and didn't want to stretch out again. So I went with my "Nuclear Option". The two-part urethane in a can. That worked a lot better, but there were some dust muzzies on the clear coat. I had to wait till the next day to block sand the body down and try again, but by then, the urethane had already hardened. So I went to the Testors Wet Look lacquer on top. That worked well. The dust muzzies are gone, but there is some slight wrinkling in the flames. Oh well, it might not do anything at a model contest, but it will look good up there in my display case with my other funnies.

Aaron

P.S. Thanks again for the comments, guys. Very appreciated!

Thanks Aaron for the paint info. Never used Tamiya paints, may have to branch out a bit. Came out gorgeous. Isn't it funny how the modeler is rarely satisfied, as we know each flaw. Anyone would be proud to display that one, such a great job on what I think if one of the most appealing FCs of all time.

Always used Testors paints for years, last year I tried some of the Tamiya spray paints & I love them!, they spray so much better then the Testors,I still use the Testors Metalizers & some other Testors, but for painting bodies it's Tamiya for me!