Model Cars Magazine Forum

white western star ext.hood

I told myself I was going to build a nice little day cab out of this kit,but that idea lasted about two seconds after opening the box! Opened a port on the drivers side to take a second air cleaner and extended the hood somewhere around one scale foot. The sleeper was a chore, used two and a half standered sleepers to make this box. Filler putty comes next to clean up the gaps. Comments are more than welcome......thanks Q!

That should look pretty good! What's your plan for diesel motivation since you have all that space under the hood to fill? I could easily imagine a nice 12V71... Even with twin turbos! :)

Edited by BigBad

well I have a nice v8 cat I have been looking at. im building this truck kind of backwards. I wanted to get the body the way I want it and kind of build around that platform. does that make any sense? one thing I have decided on was the color.

using the straight edge and the back side of my xacto knife I scribed panel lines to break up the emptiness of the sleeper sides and then used the pin vise to make rivet dents. since i'm running twin air cleaners I choose to stick with the square ones just because they go along with the boxyness of the truck itself. I had to rework the one for the left side by cutting and regluing the intake on the back side next to the cowling. now the frame. with just the hood and cab setting next to the kit chassis, i can kind of ballpark the stretch i'm looking for. for extra frame rails, I used square stock and cut it in half. find a spot on the stock rails and cut. I try to find a spot that can be consealed if need to be. use angle on the inside for support, and walla! shes straight and square............enjoy Q.

Sweet looking build John like the sleeper just looks so much better. Glad it's not a true coffin sleep those where true coofin if you woke up you were very lucky.Just think of sleeping under the front of the trailer in the front on the old trucks behind the drives and before exhausts where raised up.!

Now with the chassis together,axles and suspension go on. Kit bashing the IH 4300 for the front and axle stubs for the rear, I ended up narrowing the front by an 1/8 inch so it would fit under the fenders. The rears went on as normal.After that was done,its time to start a mock up and figure out where fuel tanks etc, will be placed....thanks ,looking forward to comments.......Q

• 2 weeks later...

Finally played down some paint on hood and cab.duplicolor primer chased with aluminum base coat and followed with purple pearl. Used the kit supplied decal stripes and added extras to the fenders.

I chose to leave the sleeper in bare metal form just for kind of a wow factor. I've seen pics and I've seen in person these old mercury sleepers left with a shiny finish. First its different then the main stream plus their just neat looking. Q

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While the forum was down a lot has changed on this build.first the bare metal sleeper had a book accidently dropped on it, so I went with a smaller box.bad paint reaction. So.....on to a different route. Heavy haul, as normal the razor knife came out and went to work . enjoy...john