Model Cars Magazine Forum

1955 Chevrolet 3100 Cameo Pickup

Well I just finished this one up today. This is my second truck build ever...the first one being my 1950 Chevrolet 3100 pickup I finished about a month ago. It's a refreshing change from all of the cars I have built over the years. This is the AMT kit painted in Testor's "Gloss White" enamel with no clear glosscoat over it. I couldn't believe how shiny and smooth this enamel paint came out. It took about two weeks to dry enough to handle it without leaving marks on it though. I guess the downside of using enamel paint versus lacquer paint. The red trim paint around the front, back and side windows was a bit tricky since there was very little room to paint and apply BMF without covering up the red. As far as I know the Cameo pickups had a two-tone red/white interior but there was not enough detail in the interior to paint it that way so I went with a solid red interior to reduce the cuss rate! Anyway, here it is, have a look and see what you think and thanks for checking it out.

AMT1955Chevrolet3100Cameo1.jpg

AMT1955Chevrolet3100Cameo2.jpg

AMT1955Chevrolet3100Cameo6.jpg

Very nice job on the finish Randy. I built one up a couple of years ago just like your's, I think you got it right! I recently found a '57 Cameo to build which is slightly different. I love pickups especially the early ones.

Edited by rmvw guy

Nice looking little '55 Cameo Randy! It looks clean as a pin in that white. I wonder why Chevy painted the inside of the bed a different color than the body on these trucks?

That's pretty much the reason, to match the cab pillars. Plus there was the fact that the Cameo, as well as its GMC stablemate Town & Country, were considered to be the Truck equivalent of the Corvette and Nomad. Of note, all Cameo/Town & Country trucks were 2 tone, with the '55 Cameo being the only one with only 1 color scheme option. Also, the inside bedsides being the secondary color was a Cameo/T&C only feature, the standard pickups used the trucks primary color on the bedsides with a flat black bed floor.