Model Cars Magazine Forum

Not Another Super 7, But a MGTC Hybrid!

jbwelda

thanks john, yeah i try to avoid messing around after painting but in this case my impatience got the better of me and i am where i am to paraphrase a common expression. i did actually scrape a bit of paint off the front rails fitting that radiator shell but they will touch up with a brush before i spray the clear and i had to do some touch up in the back anyhow so its no big loss.

meanwhile, interior bucket is about done, pretty much out of box with some added goodies for interest:

interiorbucket.jpg

interiorbucket2.jpg

aluminum dash, aluminum steering column and super 7 steering wheel, moon pedal:

dashandparts.jpg

that red dot is covering a mess up...have to further complete it by doing a little touch up around it to make it appear to be a ignition lamp. also going to make a little reading lamp for nighttime rallys and put it on the passenger side...other than that i think i am calling it done.

again thanks for looking!

i hear you john but i like those belts and i looked all over to find one...probably should have used a photoetch buckle and a tape belt but its glued in there now (or at least i think it is...i tend to stick stuff like that down with blue-tac putty so i can remove it if i think better...maybe i should check). i think that piece makes for a bit of "vintage" look.

and that stupid restraining strap i put over the fire extinguisher keeps coming up...have to glue that sucker down good!

• 4 weeks later...

some progress to report: pretty much all the pieces are ready for final assembly as you can see from the following photos. i think i will epoxy in the dashboard and paint in the lines on the front panel tonite, then proceed to mount the interior bucket then the front subframe and see how that goes!

a look at most of the pieces:

mglayoutfromabove.jpg

i decided to use the front fenders from the stacy whatevers rat roaster and they look pretty nice...a little yellow pinstripe from the decal bin looked good too...got a yellow subcolor thing going on if you hadnt already noticed:

mgpieces.jpg

speaking of yellow we got the classic yellow grille work going on:

mglayoutfromfront.jpg

and also some yellow on the polished bare metal fuel tank:

mglayoutfromrear.jpg

alright many thanks for looking and of course comments appreciated!

• 5 months later...

Back from a long hiatus (all in all, desert exploring in Utah and diving and generally living the high life in Vanuatu ain't a bad exile), this car got done in the meantime, check it out in the Under Glass section, here is a couple quick shots of the done deal:

9e8c.jpg

7xad.jpg

Just love it Bill....

Just one small question. How do you keep the hood from flying off and hitting you in the face at high speed? Maybe need a couple of leather hold down straps attached to the side of the firewall and the side of the rad?

Just a thought........

Tony

Just love it Bill....

Just one small question. How do you keep the hood from flying off and hitting you in the face at high speed? Maybe need a couple of leather hold down straps attached to the side of the firewall and the side of the rad?

Just a thought........

Tony

I bet he does it with super-duper earth magnets, or electro-mag-locks. B)

Its magic!

plus at 150 kph in 1/24 the hood doesn't budge!

yeah it would, originally I was going to use hood pins in the four corners but didn't get enthused enough to follow thru.

problem with hood straps is there wouldn't be anywhere to strap to unless you went all the way down to the remnant of the original fenders but that might actually look ok. know where to get any appropriate photo etch buckles?

i'm serious, anyone know of 1/24 buckles I can make some leather hold down straps with? I swear I have seen some somewhere but searched around and no luck. any tips would be appreciated because the more I look at it the more I think it needs some belts.

i'm serious, anyone know of 1/24 buckles I can make some leather hold down straps with? I swear I have seen some somewhere but searched around and no luck. any tips would be appreciated because the more I look at it the more I think it needs some belts.

Look toward military PE parts for them, though typically are 1:35 or 1:48 scales, but still may work for what you want if you can find the right sized ones (despite scale) ...combined with the processed leatherette, or masking tape made simulated leather, should look good!

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/eduard/ed-49062

Edited by Jeremy Jon