Model Cars Magazine Forum

58 Biscayne 20 Days to go!

IMPALA SS 427

• 2 weeks later...

I am doing repairs on the blue custom convertible and couldn't resist sitting the Biscayne on the custom's chassis:

DSCF2730_zps49d49c09.jpg

Now i want to make another one...

And it now has flat white on it as kind of a base coat so the gloss white and red will be bright (I have previously had a bit of trouble getting the White i wanted, the dark primer tends to make the gloss a tad bit dull) anyways here she is:

DSCF2732_zps6327815d.jpg

DSCF2733_zps22eb0595.jpg

I hope to have the gloss white on tomorrow and then on the weekend i will paint the red (if its dry enough to mask up)

Let me know what you think.

Thanks guys..

Charlie - As to making another one I probably won't at least not this year as I have a lot of projects lined up at the moment and if i do make another one it would most likely be a 4 door wagon. There is a Biscayne resin body available from bandit resins I think but its a 2 door: http://www.banditresins.com/gallery_gonzo.html

I would have started with this but I thought if i have to modify it anyway then why not make my own, plus it would be more fun to do it myself.

Its got the gloss white on I will have pics tomorrow.

Edited by IMPALA SS 427

This has inspired me to think sreiously about converting one to a Bel Air Sport Sedan - That's a 4-door hardtop in Chevy-speak. My dad had one when my folks were first married, and he still says it was his all-time favorite car. It was a two-tone turquoise and white with the 348 power-pack/Turboglide drivetrain. Making those taillight housings might be tricky...

Thanks everyone, it means a lot :)

I believe there are a few kits that have similar tail light housings There is a AMT mercury with a set sa custom parts and another kit that has them... i cant think which one...

Anyway here she is in gloss white:

DSCF2764_zps8c9bbe2d.jpg

DSCF2766_zps843de549.jpg

The rear wheels are off because of a misalignment issue... the whole rear axle sits more to one side and its was quite noticeable..

let me know what you think.

Thanks Bruce.

I got the red on, I found the unmasking process quite stressful as the white was almost perfect and i was afraid that red might have made it where it shouldn't have.

The paint job came out good apart from a piece of dust that made it on to the passenger door but it is not that bad and with a paint job that looks this good its not worth the risk to attempt to fix and have the possibility of ruining it completely..

Here are the pics:

DSCF2771_zps9a44cb65.jpg

DSCF2772_zps40a7e329.jpg

DSCF2775_zps2722b6d5.jpg

The front badge is from a AMT 55 Bel air i think and i have a matching one for the rear, I re-chromed it with some BMF and carefully applied the paint using the tip of a hobby knife blade.

• 2 weeks later...