Model Cars Magazine Forum

This is my biggest project yet! It is far bigger than the NX-01 Enterprise that I built years ago! It is the Seaview from Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea. This model measures a staggering 39" from stem to stern and thankfully the hull comes in two sections for assembly. My airbrush is going to get a good workout painting this behemoth with the hull getting a generous coating of flat light ghost gray and the bottom of the hull getting a coating of flat camouflage gray.

This project is a needed change from doing cars for so long. When I originally bought this kit, I was hoping to be able to build the movie version Seaview (starring Walter Pidgeon, Robert Sterling, and Barbara Eden). This kit only builds into one of two TV versions and since I paid a hefty price for this kit several years ago, I couldn't justify getting the newly released movie version. I plan on adding some lights to the interior for viewing the inside.  This model is huge and the rest of the kit including the Flying Sub, mini-sub, and the diving bell.

More to come...

Seaview02.JPG

Seaview01.JPG

Seaview03.JPG

Edited by mrmike

Thanks Ira!

Since I am working out the details for possible lighting of Seaview's interior, I went ahead and started working on the Flying Sub, mini-sub, and the diving bell.

More to come...

Seaview04.JPG

Seaview05.JPG

Seaview06.JPG

Edited by mrmike

Thanks guys!

Nice. I'll be watching,too. I didn't know all that was included in the kit. Are they all to the same scale?

Jim, I think the diving bell is undersized compared to the mini-sub and the Flying Sub.

Edited by mrmike

Hmmm, a diorama for Seaview. Do you realize just how big that'll be? At this point, I still don't know where I'm going to display this thing in the house!

A chance for a little assembly today! I still have to putty the seams, sand them, and then primer and paint.

More to come...

Seaview10.JPG

Seaview11.JPG

Seaview12.JPG

Edited by mrmike

• 4 weeks later...

I got the two halves of the hull glued together.  I glued the retractable doors to the front lower hull.  The fit is tight enough that I can leave the lower hull section as is until I can finish the interior and insert it into the main hull. I am concerned with the fit of this section as it bows a bit at the rear. I'll have to come up with a solution to fix the fit.

More to come...

Seaview13.JPG

Seaview14.JPG

Seaview15.JPG

Edited by mrmike

WOW!  4 1/2 years since my last posting on this thread.  Lately, I have been staring at the incomplete Seaview sitting in front of my bookcase and thinking about it some.  I think I should get back to working on the Seaview and try to finish it this year.