Model Cars Magazine Forum

hollow vinyl tires

Using Amt's 68 hemi RR plymouth kit, an awesome kit, I want to build straight out of the box. Problem is it's difficult to properly seat the inner and outer wheels in the hollow tires. Anyone ever fill the void (open space)? Maybe that foam stuff you get at Home depot, ha ha! Seriously, maybe thin evergreen strips wide enough to fit from the back to front tire lip? Thanks in advance.

Mark, you are correct, one side of the tire lip is twisted, and out of line. Luckily the other is OK, and I'll use this side for the outer wheel. Even when I glue both inner/outer wheels together the fit is not great. I may add a styrene strip between the 2 wheels, or add a strip on the outer edge of the glued wheels. Should be correctable. Thanks!!!

ah yes amts very bad worn out hollow vinyl tires. i also have them too! 8 of em from rc2s 34 ford race car kits that i had 2 of em. mainly for the cool parts and the old amt 29 ford woody n roaster p/u 4in1 kit. also has em and i even have truble with those tires. but at least the wheels R good. but like he said swap em and keep the old ones for a futer kit.

I've stuffed them with styrofoam packing peanuts which seemed to work. I later heard these may react with the tires but its been 5 years and so far no problems. Styrofoam is just blown styrene so I would assume any reaction would be the same as the tire wheel contact point.