Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '50 Chevy Pickup - Doctor Cranky's All-Time Favorite Kit Is Getting Re-Released

• 2 weeks later...

Will this kit also contain the custom option from the 1995 issue thata had the Independent suspensions, LT1, those GOD UGLY puke-swirl wheels on BRITTLE Camaro tires, and the rest of the 90's mumbo-jumbo custom stuff? Or will it mostly focus on the whole Texico theme with only one building option.

There was a completely seperate custom 1950 Chevy truck that included all the stuff you are mentioning. This kit is pretty much all stock equipment.

If you guys go to Round 2's website, you can download the instructions for this kit which show a few new items. Looks like the additions are the push bumper, some warning lights, a sun visor for the windshield ((I don't recall that being in the kit before), and of course some Texaco decals.

http://www.round2models.com/models/amt/texaco-chevy-pickup

I've got a couple of these trucks already but I'll add at least 2 or 3 more when they come out.

Will this kit also contain the custom option from the 1995 issue thata had the Independent suspensions, LT1, those GOD UGLY puke-swirl wheels on BRITTLE Camaro tires, and the rest of the 90's mumbo-jumbo custom stuff? Or will it mostly focus on the whole Texico theme with only one building option.

I have both versions of that kit, the custom version had a chrome dropped I beam and Mickey Mouse EFI and some chome parts for the 216, plus a different rear axle the vaguely resebles a 10 bolt GM rear, no IFS or LT1 engine. It did have the wheels/tire you mention, though (I didn't like them, either).

What would have been even better is if they had retooled into a 3600 (3/4 ton) or 3800 (1 ton), instead of just adding parts to the 3100. It would be much more accurate to what a real service station would have had, or at least closer to any that I've been around. Wouldn't have required much in the line of parts, chassis, rear axle/springs, driveshaft, longer running boards, longer bedsides, 8 lug 15" split rims for the 3/4 ton, 8 lug 17" split rims for a 1 ton, and maybe retooling the engine to have the 4 speed (optional 3/4 ton, standard on 1 ton). All other parts would be the same.

Maybe they might consider doing that with the '55/'57 Chevy truck. I would definetly welcome a 3200 (long 1/2 ton) or 3600 Task Force truck!

What would have been even better is if they had retooled into a 3600 (3/4 ton) or 3800 (1 ton), instead of just adding parts to the 3100. *snip* Wouldn't have required much in the line of parts, chassis, rear axle/springs, driveshaft, longer running boards, longer bedsides, 8 lug 15" split rims for the 3/4 ton, 8 lug 17" split rims for a 1 ton, and maybe retooling the engine to have the 4 speed (optional 3/4 ton, standard on 1 ton). All other parts would be the same.

:blink: They might as well create another kit with some shared tooling then, as what you suggest would require a lot of work, unless by some miracle all the new parts you suggest are arranged on the same tooling insert.

I think Round2 realizes the '50 Chevy pickup is one of AMT's best "newer" tools, and Round2 decided to sweeten it a bit with a few new parts, ensuring it could still be built stock in future re-issues. The '50 Chevy pickup was voted Kit of the Year by SAE subscribers when it was released, so when you have a kit which is guaranteed to sell well (see also Revell's '69 Camaro), you don't mess with success. ;)

Edited by Casey

Guest Johnny

Did they ever fix the issue with the exaggerated point on the front of the cab roof? That is was turned me off on the kit when I bought it and I traded it away! Still would love to build it if it were corrected.

:D They might as well create another kit with some shared tooling then, as what you suggest would require a lot of work, unless by some miracle all the new parts you suggest are arranged on the same tooling insert.

I think Round2 realizes the '50 Chevy pickup is one of AMT's best "newer" tools, and Round2 decided to sweeten it a bit with a few new parts, ensuring it could still be built stock in future re-issues. The '50 Chevy pickup was voted Kit of the Year by SAE subscribers when it was released, so when you have a kit which is guaranteed to sell well (see also Revell's '69 Camaro), you don't mess with success. :rolleyes:

That's where I was really going with the suggestion, new kit with shared tooling, like they did with the Task Force '55 and '57s. I certainly would not want them to ruin the 3100 kit by altering the tool for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll see about getting some pics up later- the new parts are die cut plastic- the flasher base, push bumper, and it's brackets, and the amber sprue from the AMT big rig kits is supplied for the flasher dome. Just got the kit today, might go back later for the T-Bird. B)

I DID get the T-Bird! :lol:

Oh, and here's the picture-

R2014-vi.jpg

There is a large card depicting the boxtop artwork, and here you see the die cut bumper and flasher base, the amber sprue from the big rig kits, and the Texaco specific decal sheet. Other than that, it's the previous stock version of the kit, molded in white.

Me, too! :D

Nice kit ... the new parts are very welcome additions, and I LOVE the decals! One small nit ... the use of differently-sized wheels and low-profile tires isn't really appropriate for an early-60s custom. Either the chrome reversed wheels and wide whites from the '62 Pontiac custom or the wheel/tire combo from the '57 Chrysler custom would be better choices.

My feelings exactly, though I can think of all sorts of more appropriate applications for 'em!

Going to have to get one of those! Perhaps they'll consider doing similar conversions on some of the other vintage pickups in the Round 2 catalog. Maybe mix it up a bit, instead of a push bumper, perhaps a snowplow? Or maybe a basic pickup bed tow rig?

I do rather like the approach Round 2 took with this particular kit- using simple die cut pieces and an existing amber sprue to provide a few building options. And tooling for bed mounted tow booms and snowplows already exists... who knows? I, for one, would be all over it!