Model Cars Magazine Forum

Introducing the 2014 Corvette Berlinetta... 1st 2014 Vette sells for?

If GM had put the prototype styling directly into production, as shown, I'd be selling every car I own (except the truck) and replacing them with that. Even though it's not entirely all-of-a-piece, stylistically, its heritage is so completely, obviously Corvette, that, knowing the performance of the recent cars as I do, I frankly couldn't imagine having anything cooler. It's in-your-face fast looking, agressive and again UNMISTAKABLY Corvette with no copycat anything. Bad-to-the-bone, and ORIGINAL. Anything 'derivative' is derived ftom some iteration of the Corvette, and it couldn't be anything else.

Hmmmmmm, are you sure this is not the bulky undrivable Michael Keaton 1989 Batmobile???

Sure looks like this particular design has all those added on unnecessary pieces.

I doubt it could even be parked, much less driven safely.

Nothing original about this. But it would make a neat plastic model.

CadillacPat

If they had put that prototype into production, even with the doofy taillights, I'd be a lot more interested.

In the meantime, in the event I hit a large jackpot, my local Chevy dealer has a white/silver C6 Gran Sport in the showroom that they'll "give me a deal on."

Charlie Larkin

Do you guys know that the C7 was planned to be released in 2011, that was a long time before the Ferrari F12berlinetta was in production , in theory , yes GM could of stole the design of the F12, but I really doubt that, but again I could be wrong , anything is possible, I am sure GM would of been able to get pre production photos of the F12, or the new Viper as well

So does it look a lot of cars, yes it does, but so many other cars out there do, and you know why cars have the same shapes, is because those shapes and designs are the ones that have come back from the wind tunnel with the best numbers.

But here is something , half the cars from the 40's -60's all looked the same, they all look liked misinformed bubbles, or bricks on wheels, so why is it such a bad thing now that cars all look the same?

The only thing I can think of is pot , meet the kettle, you all know the rest, but I also know you dont care either :lol:

Edited by martinfan5

So does it look a lot of cars, yes it does, but so many other cars out there do, and you know why cars have the same shapes, is because those shapes and designs are the ones that have come back from the wind tunnel with the best numbers.

But here is something , half the cars from the 40's -60's all looked the same, they all look liked misinformed bubbles, or bricks on wheels, so why is it such a bad thing now that cars all look the same?

The only thing I can think of is pot , meet the kettle, you all know the rest, but I also know you dont care either

Wow. Is the philosophy free tonight?

Actually, the development cycle for any "new" production auto design is so long that neither Chevy nor Ferrari could have "stolen" any styling features from the other.

People tend to overlook the fact that ideas often germinate independently but simultaneously. As has already been stated, trends are trends and more than one styling group can interpret a trend in a particular manner.

Wow. Is the philosophy free tonight?

Actually, the development cycle for any "new" production auto design is so long that neither Chevy nor Ferrari could have "stolen" any styling features from the other.

People tend to overlook the fact that ideas often germinate independently but simultaneously. As has already been stated, trends are trends and more than one styling group can interpret a trend in a particular manner.

Thats what I was saying, thanks for backing it up, nope,not free for you, its going to cost you

I'd say Rick Hendrick has plenty of brains. He's one of America's leading Corvette collectors, owns dozens of Chevy dealerships and...oh, yeah..one of NASCAR's most successful race teams. This is a charity deal and a business thing.

Edited by sjordan2

Ya know, I really like this car. Cannot wait to see the real deal at car events this year. I like the concept car too. Two different animals in my opinion. Every new cycle in the Corvette's styling brings the same pro-con arguments. I haven't built a model Vette newer than 1973. Everything after looked bland to me except for the C6. I WILL be buying C7 kits when they come out. (patiently waiting, Revell, AMT, whoever.) If someone does market an aftermarket rear bumper cover, I hope they offer a 6 tail light version. LOL.

Meantime, 2013 Viper #001 - a car over which precisely nobody has puled "IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A VIIII-PERRR" - was also auctioned at a Barrett-Jackson event.

Almost 200 more horsepower, about double the retail. After a hiatus, no less. For under 1/3 what the first C7 brought in.

Yeah. Some "failure", this new 'Vette.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

I'll just repeat what I said above -- this sale was a charity auction, which typically brings much more than if the car was being sold on its own, and can't really be compared to actual or perceived value. People like Hendrick don't worry too much about the final price in such a circumstance.

Duly noted and fully agreed, which is why I did an auction-to-auction comparison - even if I did mention some common-sense factors that should have worked to the Viper's comparative advantage.

Viper #001 was also a charity auction, with proceeds benefitting the Austin Hatcher Foundation for Pediatric Cancer, fwiw.