Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi Mini Cooper

Bumblebi

I bought a Fujimi Mini Cooper this past Christmas, with the idea of building a replica of a stanced out Mini from here in Sweden! It's not going to be a perfect replica, more my own interpretation of it, but most of it will be the same.

322879-3148700.jpg

322879-3158794.jpg

(These are not my pics, they are borrowed!)

Already from the beginning I wanted to keep the front wheels' steering mechanism intact but get a lot of negative camber at the same time, which meant that I couldn't change the geometry in the front easily. So, I decided to go the simple way and make a small piece that would push the wheels out, give me the right camber angles, but keep the rest of the geometry and steering mechanism intact.

CAM00354_zpscc5180bc.jpg

CAM00357_zps9014e7d1.jpg

And since the real car had a set of BBS RS styled rims, I obviously went through my spare parts and found a nice set of rims that where the right size and roughly the same design as the original.

CAM00355_zps23767280.jpg

Compared o the stock Mini wheels, the new ones are slightly smaller, which is good actually!

CAM00359_zpse8b12ee0.jpg

Here's just a quick mock up of the wheels, angles and fitment.

CAM00367_zps79104eec.jpg

And the steering is still working.

CAM00374_zpsafb8fb60.jpg

The rear has more negative camber than the front. Yup, a lot of weird tire wear going on here...

CAM00375_zps770a0bad.jpg

CAM00376_zpsa22c50b0.jpg

More pics...

After test fitting the painting can start...

I've used a combination of Faskolor and Humbrol colours, and the body will be painted in Tamiya TS42.

CAM00399_zpskqkdgare.jpg

The front subframe has been repainted after this pic was taken, bad paint...

CAM00402_zps4oafqrdk.jpg

The interior is a bit less glossy now than at the time of the pic.

CAM00424_zpsswzpikhr.jpg

And the chassis has been completed.

CAM00425_zpsartlenlg.jpg

This is where I stand right now, waiting to paint the body since I'll have to get some practice when using spray paint as I haven't spray painted a 1/24 body in years, and that last one didn't turn out as nice as I wanted it to <_<

I'll do some more updates and add some more progress pics this weekend, hopefully I'll get some more small stuff done!

//Bumblebi

Edited by Bumblebi

Very nice build so far. While it may not be much help, I recently saw some after market tires, I think it was Pegasus, that had tires for just what you are doing on the negative cambered rear. They have the tread flat on the ground with the sidewalls shorter on one side to match the off camber just like some of the 1:1 tire manufacturers.

Very nice build so far. While it may not be much help, I recently saw some after market tires, I think it was Pegasus, that had tires for just what you are doing on the negative cambered rear. They have the tread flat on the ground with the sidewalls shorter on one side to match the off camber just like some of the 1:1 tire manufacturers.

Thanks! I'll have to look into that, sounds very interesting!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, I've been able to paint the body of the Mini Cooper, and it turned out pretty good actually, considering I haven't painted a body with spraycans since 2006 if I recall right...

CAM00481_zpsgufurpj2.jpg

Started painting some details on the body itself, turned out pretty good for being the first layer...

CAM00482_zpsx0432baf.jpg

Got the windows and some other small details first-layer-painted too, and the roof is on too.

CAM00483_zpscqvwd95v.jpg

Looking good, a slammed min-bin....... :) ......just a suggestion here but.... if you look at the pic from the back the car sits very much on the edge of the tyres. In real life they would squash down a bit, so if you sand them a little on the edges it will also lower the car more !

Looking good its nice to see something a bit more unusual being built !! Lowlife ! !

Edited by Lowlife ! !

Looking good, a slammed min-bin....... :) ......just a suggestion here but.... if you look at the pic from the back the car sits very much on the edge of the tyres. In real life they would squash down a bit, so if you sand them a little on the edges it will also lower the car more !

Looking good its nice to see something a bit more unusual being built !! Lowlife ! !

Thanks alot for that advice, will certainly do that, and thanks for the nice words :D

A good spray paint is pretty easy to use if done right.... looks good!

Indeed! Thanks alot :)

• 1 month later...