Model Cars Magazine Forum

Project Phoenix: Custom '61 Dodge Dart resurrection: The Wall, March 29

Ace-Garageguy

• 1 year later...

I was following this thread with great interest in 2012 until life got in the way. Somehow, I forgot about it until this morning when I found the link to it. How has the project evolved since last you posted? After all that work, there is no way that you would give up. I am really taken with the idea of using fiberglass to make patch panels and mold parts. I used a lot of fiberglass in my shop when I was painting cars as I did a number of repairs on snow mobiles and even the occasional boat so I am somewhat familiar with the process but I never used it to actually duplicate parts - only for structural repairs. I'm going to do some experimenting here over the next while and see what I can accomplish as I have a couple of p;d annuals that are broken and have pieces missing. The fiberglass may be easier than cutting panels out and then cutting patch panels and trying to glue them into place and maintain some compound angles that have some tight spots on them that will be almost impossible to sand and get a good finish. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Thanks for dredging this one up, gennelmen. Since last September I haven't had much modeling time at all. Real-life has been, as they say, too much with me. But I DID find a resin kit of this experimental prototype OHC Hemi at the recent NNL South event, and it's bumped the Phoenix to the first in line...when I get some more free time.

l.jpg

Thanks for dredging this one up, gennelmen. Since last September I haven't had much modeling time at all. Real-life has been, as they say, too much with me. But I DID find a resin kit of this experimental prototype OHC Hemi at the recent NNL South event, and it's bumped the Phoenix to the first in line...when I get some more free time.

Bill, I would have sent you a complete styrene OHC HEMI...it's kitted in the MPC prostreet 1970 Coronet!

Glad you'll be back on this cool project again B)

• 10 months later...

I hit a wall on this one some time back, and didn't like the nose. There were a few too many defects on the RH splice area for 1-part spot-putty primer to kill entirely too.

Soooo...I decided to heavily sand the splice area and re-prime repeatedly. She's shaping up nicely.

The problem I saw on the nose had to do with conflicting curves between the hood leading-edge and the bumper insert. I sanded the crown of the hood flatter, and added material to the front edge of the bumper. This will be shaped into a curve that mimics the hood edge.

While I had her on the bench, I decided to go ahead and fix the gaps on the sides of the deck that had gotten too wide. A strip of styrene added to the RH inner deck opening proved to be all that was necessary, plus some final close fitting to come.

I hit a wall on this one some time back, and didn't like the nose. There were a few too many defects on the RH splice area for 1-part spot-putty primer to kill entirely too.

I think you have avatar Schizophrenia Bill. :)

• 5 months later...

Hey Bill!

Any news on the project? I've just gone through this all and would love to know where you are with this. Amazing job so far!

Thanks for your interest in this one, and thanks again to everyone who's commented earlier. :D

A few things had me a little stumped...not forever, just waiting for the muse to start talking to me again.

Problem 1: I want to make a separate windshield frame, removable, in the true "roadster" tradition. Nothing from other kits, like old Corvettes for example, is close enough to the right shape. So...I'm working on a way to make a fiberglass frame that fits the 'glass' I'm using, and is tough enough to shape, primer, sand repeatedly, and Alclad. It is the definition of "fiddly" work, and though I think I know how to do it, I've been putting it off.

Problem 2: The prototype OHC engine I've decided to use runs a toothed-belt to drive the overhead cams. That's fine and would work in reality, but I don't like the idea of the belt being totally exposed. It'd be way too vulnerable, and likely to mangle hands or get tangled in ties, pony-tails or timing-light cords. I need to make up a timing belt cover that looks the part, and doesn't spoil the unique appearance of the engine.

Problem 3: I'm still debating the best way to mount the taillights.

Problem 4: Ive been considering doing Lambo-style scissors doors from the beginning. I've already made molds of the door-skins and located a set of hinges that will work, but I just can't commit to cutting the body. It seems like that mod will only drag the build out much longer, and I'd really like to finish it before I die. :D

Thanks for your interest in this one, and thanks again to everyone who's commented earlier. :D

A few things had me a little stumped...not forever, just waiting for the muse to start talking to me again.

Problem 1: I want to make a separate windshield frame, removable, in the true "roadster" tradition. Nothing from other kits, like old Corvettes for example, is close enough to the right shape. So...I'm working on a way to make a fiberglass frame that fits the 'glass' I'm using, and is tough enough to shape, primer, sand repeatedly, and Alclad. It is the definition of "fiddly" work, and though I think I know how to do it, I've been putting it off.

Problem 2: The prototype OHC engine I've decided to use runs a toothed-belt to drive the overhead cams. That's fine and would work in reality, but I don't like the idea of the belt being totally exposed. It'd be way too vulnerable, and likely to mangle hands or get tangled in ties, pony-tails or timing-light cords. I need to make up a timing belt cover that looks the part, and doesn't spoil the unique appearance of the engine.

Problem 3: I'm still debating the best way to mount the taillights.

Problem 4: Ive been considering doing Lambo-style scissors doors from the beginning. I've already made molds of the door-skins and located a set of hinges that will work, but I just can't commit to cutting the body. It seems like that mod will only drag the build out much longer, and I'd really like to finish it before I die. :D

:D:D:D "finish it before I die"...this made me lol. Some people's bucket lists include cave diving and visiting forgotten nations...and then there's us, who just wanna finish our model projects. Soooo can you make a will that if you don't finish it, I can take over? Knowing my skills though, I would definitely die before I finished it. :D

Anyway, all 4 of those problems sound badas$ and I think you'll crank out a crazy cool solution. I'll keep checking in every couple months or so.

Lambo doors are SO year 2000. Even Lambo doesn't use them as much any more. This style custom screams ol' fashioned suicide doors, or no door mod at all. My 2 pennies.

Edited by bisc63
typo

• 3 months later...

I hope you get this up and running! Will look great completed with the ohc hemi! they have a DOHC hemi in them70 prostreet coronet kit.

Thanks for your interest and for pulling this one out of the cobwebs too. The resin engine I was going to use is apparently a copy of the one you mention, which I finally got my hands on. It's crisper than the resin version I have, and of course...no pinholes. There's nothing else other than that really delaying getting this one up again. :D

• 8 months later...

I just found this thread tonite and am really impressed with your design and construction skills.Your willingness to make completely new panels from fiberglass and integrate into a body that old shows not only a willingnes to think outside the box but bulldog like tenacity for combining it all into a most impressive street radical custom.Thanks so much for sharing your passion and skill with us!