Model Cars Magazine Forum

'55 Chevy Flipnose Gasser - 1:1 Replica...

Bluzboy66

Here ya go guys, my latest addition to the 'Under Glass' category. I built this Flip-nose '55 Chevy model for a friend who owns the real 1:1 full-scale version. The old 1/24 Monogram '55 was the basis for this build. I glued the hood shut, molded everything smooth, and then cut the front end off with a jeweler's saw. The firewall and flip-nose bracketry and framework are scratchbuilt, and the interior and engine bay are built to resemble the real car.......as close as I was able to get, anyway! I learned a lot about scratchbuilding and flip-nose mods on this model, and I'm looking forward to taking the next one to the next level......

Mike

scan00012.jpg

scan0001.jpg

The actual paint from the real car was used for the model, but I used Testors clear instead of urethane. The model looks more orange in my photos.......

S5008802.jpg

S5008787.jpg

S5008826.jpg

S5008820.jpg

S5008794.jpg

S5008799.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Thanks guys. I spent the most time replicating the engine and the surrounding area, since I knew that my friend Bert, knowing his car inside out, would pick up on the details. I had to reshape the valve covers to look like the ones on his crate Chevy small block. The radiator surround and front clip supports were replicated using Plastruct. Other minor details, like the Grant steering wheel, shifter, ladder bars, etc., were key.

Also note, the Monogram '55 probably would have been my last choice as the base kit, but Bert already had an original kit from '75. In reviewing the kit, we both thought that it would make good Gasser material. I've been noodling with this project on and off for 2 years. Now that the new Revell '55 is available, it's a no-brainer......I'd definitely go with that.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next project......I want to delve a little deeper into finer detail. Underhood wiring and plumbing is still quite a challenge for me, but I'm learning one kit at a time. My current projects include a John Mazmanian Cuda, and the Ramcharger funnycars, so I'll be getting some good practice! I'll pot some pics in 'On the Bench'.

Mike

Edited by Bluzboy66

Hey, that thing looks more 1/1 than the 1/1!!!! ;):huh: Nice job Mike, like our VP at CPMCC says, hope you can bring it to a future meeting for us to enjoy!!!! B)B)

Sorry Cruz. The '55 Chevy is no longer in my possession. I presented it to my buddy Bert this past week. He'll be displaying the model with the 1:1 '55 in Ocean City, Maryland next weekend, Oct. 9, 10, 11, 12. If any of you are free, you might wanna head down to O.C. MD for a day or two. The Endless Summer Cruisin' is an awesome event, WELL worth the trip. Take a camera! I plan to ride the motorcycle down for a day....probably Saturday.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...