Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dodge "A500" Phantom Flip Cab

Thanks, guys.

Andy, Brad (gasser59) sent me a chunk to experiment with. It's offcut from a used plate, so when I run out I'll be hitting up one of the local printers for more. I'm sure most printers would be more than willing, so you may want to check with one in your area.

I'm a little slow on the updates right now...have had a hard time with pain the last few days. But, I've got the spring pads and shock mounts on the housing, and made a pair of shocks and mounting bosses for them on the frame. Pics only show one...I forgot to charge the second battery for the cam but the other one will be in there in the next set of pics. I'm going to try to finish the mountings for the u bolts tonight, then I'll go over the whole assembly with weld beads. I think you guys will like how I do them.

First pic shows how I cut deep into the axle to install mounts, rather than shaping them to fit the housing. Not only are they easier to do, they're stronger. You can also see the backing plate and finned drum that'll I'm having my brother cast up. I'll use them on all four corners.

Dodge_Flip_RearEnd_17-vi.jpg

Dodge_Flip_RearEnd_19-vi.jpg

Dodge_Flip_RearEnd_20-vi.jpg

Thanks guys.

Bart, I've had an old issue L700 sitting here for years waiting for me to build it. It'll be interesting to see how this "little brother" version looks sitting next to it.

Almost done with the rear suspension. A little cleaning up here and there and put the welds in...and now I see I forgot the retainers around the spring packs so I'll throw those at it, too.

Dodge_Flip_RearEnd_21-vi.jpg

Dodge_Flip_RearEnd_22-vi.jpg

Dodge_Flip_RearEnd_23-vi.jpg

Dodge_Flip_RearEnd_24-vi.jpg

Dodge_Flip_RearEnd_25-vi.jpg

Thank you, Niko. :)

Retainers are better now, I think. I can live with them, at least. I think it'll all come together under paint.

Dodge_Flip_RearEnd_26-vi.jpg

Dodge_Flip_RearEnd_27-vi.jpg

Dodge_Flip_RearEnd_28-vi.jpg

This'll probably be the last update for a little bit. Time to go back and finish up the '41 Chevy and get some more done on the '27 C Cab...then I'll come back to this and dig into the other end of the chassis.

Beautiful work! You've inspired me. My dad started on a similar project about 15 years ago, using a 1/32 scale semi-truck chassis and one of these cutdown LRW bodies. He was building it to tow a big camper trailer. I'm going to have to dig it out and see if I can finish it for him.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...