Model Cars Magazine Forum

Painting color coats (3rd try) - shoot body separate from resin hood?

Fnlally ready for another attempt at my '66 Nova paint job. This time, different color and a resin outlaw hood. All prep work done and primed for both peices. Should the hood be shot separately and just kept in sync by counting coats? The car will have interchangeable hoods with a flat black one with pro stock scoop.

Thanks!!!

A lot depends on the color. Some cover better than others, and counting coats doesn't ALWAYS guarantee you'll get exactly the same paint thickness and coverage everywhere. This can even be a problem on 1:1 cars...it's not unusual for a hyper-critical old car-painter like me to spot a slight mismatch between panels on just-finished showcars.

Ideally, the hood should be in place when you shoot the color. This can lead to more problems if the paint gets into the seams and sticks the hood shut...causing a real mess when you try to cut it free.

If you're going to use a clear top-coat, shoot your base-coats with the hood in place to assure even color, and remove the panel to shoot your clear.

I still use a wire coat hanger to hold my models.With a separate hood,you can usually find a space to stick it somewhere so that as you move the can or AB around it gets some color. I don't worry too much about solid colors matching, but metallics , and candies present special care to get the color on in the same pattern at the same time.