Model Cars Magazine Forum

Exhaust painting tips

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!! I believe I'll be trying the solder wire trick.. just need to go get some now.. I was looking at some tubing today at hobby lobby, but I wan't sure what size I needed for 3" pipes. When its broke down into hundredths I cant convert that to inches in my head. 1/8= 1.25, right??? :huh::blink: What about the colors of the pipes you see on the NASCARS pipes?? Is that Jet Exhaust???

Solder does come in 1/8", which decimals out to .125". Now 1/25th scale is .040" to the inch, so .125" scales out to 3 1/8 inches. If you can find it, pure tin solder, in 1/8", bends as readily as the common lead/tin stuff, but being stiffer, holds its shape a lot better!

Art

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Various shades of Metalizer paints airbrushed on and a wash of artists' acrylic burnt sienna, ultramarine blue and Tamiya acrylic clear orange to replicate the heat discoloration around the welds.

AbarthBuild111_zps8ba8abb2.jpg

This is in a slightly larger scale (1/10th) but you can still use the same technique.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
On 9/3/2011 at 2:34 PM, Steve Keck said:

DSC01757.jpg

Various Alclads and Metalizers accented by dry brushing.

Those are maybe the best scale headers I’ve ever seen.  Pity the post is nearly a decade old because I’d like to find out more about how those were done! ?

I usually just shoot straight Alclad "Polished Aluminum" and "Dark Aluminum" on the exhaust systems of my builds, but I usually don't spend a lot of time on the underside of my projects anyway.

I do however like to add a little more detail to the exhaust manifolds of my models.

I usually do this by spraying a coat of Alclad "Dark Aluminum" over the entire part, followed by a little airbrush shadowing with some Alclad "Exhaust Manifold"  around the areas where the manifold attaches to the head and the exhaust pipe.

Then I give it a very light dusting from a long distance with a little red oxide primer.

image.jpeg.0e366ffedb44278c8da7ce5137f46b13.jpeg

Steve

On 8/28/2011 at 7:48 AM, musclewrx said:

what do you guys use for the exhaust tips?

I found a source for thinwall stainless steel tubing recently:
https://www.mcmaster.com/hypodermic-tubing

Good old thread to dredge up, I see some awesome work and ideas here.  The OT question is really vague, sure depends on what your are doing.  For example, an old beater pickup with cast iron manifold would look silly with some of the techniques above.  I simply painted Testors 'leather' brown, and sprinkled on baking soda while it was wet.

IMG_1350_Fotor.jpg

On 4/16/2014 at 3:54 AM, mikevillena said:

Various shades of Metalizer paints airbrushed on and a wash of artists' acrylic burnt sienna, ultramarine blue and Tamiya acrylic clear orange to replicate the heat discoloration around the welds.

AbarthBuild111_zps8ba8abb2.jpg

This is in a slightly larger scale (1/10th) but you can still use the same technique.

These look great! Nice work!