Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Ford roadster gluebomb rework. April 26: back on track

Ace-Garageguy

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

McLove this angle shot.Seeing crisp pics (peruse) must help you out with future work.Keep the updates coming.DSCN7608.jpgJoker

Me too, this is an amazing, inspirational rework. The wheel and tire combo are exactly what I'd like on an AV8 I'm planning. Do you remember where they came from?

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the interest on this one too, gennelmen. Last time i worked on her, I decided to replace the hood sides and make a factory-looking insert for the underside of the decklid. Got the pix for the decklid from a real car, and started drilling the valve covers for plug wires...broke my .015" drill bit.

Once the '49/'50 lakes '28 has some primer drying, this one is first in line to re-boot.

• 3 months later...

Bill...any chance of bringing this one back to the bench any time soon? You're getting close with the other beautiful build...just wondered what was next.

Thanks for asking, Wayne. I just got some pix of the underside of a real '32 decklid, and since I opened this one, I'll be doing something soon to represent that. I wanted to get the '28 lakes car at least to the point where the primer was shrinking-in before getting sidetracked.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

When I get to points where I don't like how something is looking, or where I don't know exactly how to proceed, I put the build away until the muse returns. This is one very nice thing (to me) about building models, as opposed to building real cars. No pressure, no deadlines, only my own vision to answer to.

I didn't like the profile look of the hard tonneau for the race-version of this one, and just recently figured out how to get it looking like what I had in mind. Some harking and sanding, close fitting, and I'll have it shortly. Got it down a couple scale inches in front, and flatter overall. If I can squeeze out another inch, I'm golden.

And...since I opened the rear deck and made trunk hinges, I wasn't happy about the detail-free inner deck. I got some shots at the shop of what it was supposed to look like, and made up a quickie cardstock mockup just to get a general impression, and to fit the correct outline of the part. With about a 1mm standoff from the deck, a styrene part with the correct diameter and placement of holes will give me enough of what I'm looking for. Just gotta get the right size hole-punch.

What it's supposed to look like...

• 2 months later...

Well Bill,,, you've made me want an aircraft model now!!  The Lindberg Gee Bee was one of the models my Uncle and I put together as a kid.  I remember now that it was not quite 1/32nd scale, can't remember what plane he got to build but it was true 1/32nd scale, there was a major size difference!  You are correct, with a little fiddling it can be turned into a pretty stunning model, I've seen a couple built by talented aircraft modelers.

• 10 months later...

Amazing Bill...thank you for the hyper link to your build.It took awhile but read it all.enjoyed it immensely. learned alot.and saw your amazing work.I understand how projects get set back.I lose direct because of the unsatisfied feelings,till the problems get solved.then its back on.

I understand the "reveal"  stamp as its being called.you did smokun work on the frame...you know...I don't know if I want it on my 32 frame....I'll have to think about it.I mite choose to remove them or not put them in on my 32..I still wonder what Fords purpose for them was....you know?

thank you again for your help on the 32 ford and MPC 32 ford of Milners coupe.I have mine now.it came a few days ago.will be looking it over along with reading more of the info you suggested....thank ya so much Bill.....Chris

• 7 months later...

Well, it's been a while. I've given her plenty of time to finish herself up, but it's just not happening. Guess I'll have to do all those fiddly bits I've been putting off myself.

I made a decklid inner panel to give the impression of the real thing with the deck open. No, it's not particularly accurate. And I don't care. 

DSCN0931_zpsuxdp0haz.jpg

Installed, with the seam buttered with Squadron Green to form a radius. No problem if it shrinks here. I'll fill and radius the center hole.

DSCN0938_zpszqn3tuo1.jpg

Also finally got going on drilling the distributor cap and valve covers for .015" wire. None of the commercial caps had exactly the look I wanted, and the ones I like were too big to snuggle in to the recess on the firewall.

DSCN0937_zpsz5asu6bt.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Well, it's been a while. I've given her plenty of time to finish herself up, but it's just not happening. Guess I'll have to do all those fiddly bits I've been putting off myself.

I made a decklid inner panel to give the impression of the real thing with the deck open. No, it's not particularly accurate. And I don't care. 

Man, if they would finish themselves up I'd sure appreciate it too.

I'm right there with you on accuracy, the impression is all that matters. If anyone got into my model with a micrometer to measure for accuracy, I'd drag him off by his ear.