Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell LaFerrari VS. Tamiya LaFerrari - Content comparison

mademan

Ive had a few people ask me to post a review/ comparison of the LaFerrari kit, so I figured I would post both for everyone to see the contents of each kit. I apologize for some of the photos, I am still learning to use this camera (Canon t3i)

IMG_6208_zpscbeadc56.jpg

]

First up, the Revell kit

IMG_6210_zps0617bad2.jpg

The body is mostly 1 large piece, molded in white. and the doors do NOT open.

IMG_6214_zps9b0926e7.jpg

IMG_6216_zps699ad0e4.jpg

IMG_6217_zpsca3252bd.jpg

IMG_6218_zps7b60aee7.jpg

IMG_6219_zpsdc346d6f.jpg

the decals look good, the chrome is very shiney, included in the packaging is some mesh for vents

IMG_6220_zps3fabed1b.jpg

The wheels to me are just "Meh" chrome is bright and shiney

IMG_6221_zps9ef971c0.jpg

tires are decent, they have sidewall detail

IMG_6223_zps6362bca1.jpg

Now for the Tamiya

IMG_6209_zps950c70d7.jpg

The body is multi piece, including opening doors

IMG_6225_zps3c98492e.jpg

IMG_6226_zpsbaf005c2.jpg

the front bumper is multi-piece with a separate valance, whereas the Revell kit is all 1 piece.

IMG_6227_zpsd4669935.jpg

Engine detail is excellent

IMG_6228_zps58621696.jpg

Multi-piece "skeleton" and chassis, whereas the Revell chassis and wells are 1 piece

IMG_6230_zps007d5785.jpg

the wheels are a Matte finish and are VERY NICE, all 1 piece, versus the Revell shiney chrome face with plastic "barrels". The tires are INCREDIBLE with very nice sidewall detail and nice tread.

IMG_6231_zps9068c0f9.jpg

This kit also comes with metal stickers, decals and mesh for the vents

IMG_6232_zps3320f1c9.jpg

NOT INCLUDED with the kit, but available from Tamiya, is this Carbon Fiber decal template which is very nice also.

IMG_6233_zpsfad9102b.jpg

The Tamiya kit is much crisper overall, Once I get into actually building I will see how each go together, Im sure the revel will build up nicely, however the Tamiya has much more detail.

Edited by mademan

Cheers for this. Both kits seem to have positive and negatives. I like how revell included the main wiring that is viable on the real car. Both require a lot of body work though. And an airbrush would be ideal to paint them bot due to the complex curves. I've got a tamiya laferrari in wait. I kille the first ones body work trying to strip a paint boo boo. Cheers.

Ben

I have heard the explanations but I still find it strange that Tamiya and Revell of Germany continue to mold their kits in colored plastic when every serious builder will paint every part. I much prefer the white plastic in Revell of North America Ferrari kits.