Model Cars Magazine Forum

Polar Lights 64 GTO

farmallgray

Saw the snap 64 GTO at Michaels this evening. Just wondering if it was a decent model. Also wondering what kind of wheels it has. The box art shows mags.

I guess there are plenty of ways to find out about kits these days, but I always liked when the box art showed photos of the actual built kit. That was always a good way for me to determine if a lot of the kit's acuracy.

Am actually building this kit right now. Here's the link to my build: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=97344. From what I've gleaned from the board here, folks indicated it's not totally accurate in some spots, but it's been fun for me to learn with (am just getting back into the hobby). I've found a ton of online 1:1 pictures that are really helping with the interior, exterior, etc.

I know the kit has wire wheels plus some sort of mags. It doesn't have the redline tires, but that may or may not be important. Overall, not too much flash in my kit....a few things I've had to trim, etc.

Overall, it's been fun for me to practice painting with, etc.

--Tony

I built these from the pre-painted versions of the kit.

2005_0219GMABODIES0078.jpg

ad22d8b5-fdbb-4a71-b170-bcbb668d641f_zps

I polished out the paint, Bare-metaled the chrome trim, added photoetched emblems, re-painted and detail-painted the interior, wheels, grille, and added red lines to the tires. On the convertible, I adapted a set of steelies, and created a set of dog-dishes. It is a wonderful slump-buster kit, that goes together quickly.

I am hoping that Round 2 reissues the '65 Coronet in an unpainted kit next. I missed the original release, and I would like to get a couple. I will probably pick up one of the GTOs just to have a GTO in the same scale as the rest of my models.

I built these from the pre-painted versions of the kit.

2005_0219GMABODIES0078.jpg

ad22d8b5-fdbb-4a71-b170-bcbb668d641f_zps

I polished out the paint, Bare-metaled the chrome trim, added photoetched emblems, re-painted and detail-painted the interior, wheels, grille, and added red lines to the tires. On the convertible, I adapted a set of steelies, and created a set of dog-dishes. It is a wonderful slump-buster kit, that goes together quickly.

Do the wire hubcaps like on your turquoise model come in the new kit?

That actually looks like quite a nice looking model, Ive heard various rumours that it looks like a banana ?, I have the old Monogram 1/24 kit in the stash which is probably still a nicer kit, but I might pick one of these up at somepoint to have a bit of fun with.

Oh and I second the vote to re-release the Dodge Coronet snap kit, I missed the boat the 1st time round and Id love a couple of those.

That actually looks like quite a nice looking model, Ive heard various rumours that it looks like a banana ?

I read the same thing and spent some time googling pics of the PL GTO. I couldn't tell from the pics whether it has a problem or not--at least one that would bother me. Guess I'll have to pick one up and judge for myself.

It does have a bit of a curve to it. I have several of the AMT '65 reissues, more than I'd ever build. Thinking I might try adapting the AMT body somehow.

I haven't checked for width differences or other issues yet for a swap of the front and rear ends so I don't know if it's feasible. If not I might try swapping the sides of the bodies leaving the ends and horizontal sections intact and straitening out the curve.

Do the wire hubcaps like on your turquoise model come in the new kit?

The wire wheel covers came in the Hardtop Kit. The Convertible Kit got the custom wheel covers.

1964%20Pontiac%20Accessories-21.jpg?m=13

I made up a set of dog dishes fro the convertible. However, Missing Link resin does a very nice set of '64-70 Pontiac Dog Dish Caps.

to me, from memory of the real car, it looks kinda stumpy somehow. maybe its that it might be too far off the ground but to my untrained eye either the door is too short, or the panel behind the door is too short, for overall effect of roof looking too short. or maybe its too short in the trunk. maybe its the photos too, but they all seem to be consistent in that look.

i have always liked that first gen GTO, far more than what came after

jb

• 3 weeks later...

This kit is my current one I've been working on. I'm just a new guy here, but to me the kit is a lot of fun. I would post up pics, but I can't figure out how to post them to this forum...my posts will only let me type text sentences (and I'm too lazy to figure it out).

This is the link to my pictures I've uploaded of the kit so far: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?app=gallery&user=14918. I think you may have to be logged in to see them.

--Tony

PS: Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to run fuel lines and parking brake cables....note that you need to run the brake cables BEFORE you attach the driveline...oops, figured out that one too late!!! :D :D :D

Edited by Tony_B

• 2 weeks later...

The body does look a bit "stumpy" as someone mentioned, especially at the front. To me, 90% of the perceived flaw(s) lie in the front fenders; they appear just a little too short front -to-rear. They also slant downward from rear-to-front too abruptly, thus the "banana" reference, though that implies a curve, and it really is an angle issue. Sight down the top of the front fenders as they align with the door belt line and you'll see it. I think the old 1/24 Monogram kit is much more accurately proportioned. My 2cents!