Model Cars Magazine Forum

Portillo's worth a BILLION!

Worth $a Billion? Well, my experiences there have been.

I just don't know about the future . . . how's it gonna be with that green lizard hyping dogs and Italian beef?

I sort of know what an Italian beef sandwich is. Another Chicago thing I need to try next time I'm out there.

Green lizard hyping dog?? More importantly....do I want to know?

Charlie Larkin

I sort of know what an Italian beef sandwich is. Another Chicago thing I need to try next time I'm out there.

Green lizard hyping dog?? More importantly....do I want to know?

Charlie Larkin

Green lizard-- the Geico gecko---Geico is owned by Berkshire Hathaway..

50 years after starting out in a little trailer this man will be rich beyond his imagination.

Sure hope they don't screw up a good thing!

People will expect the food to be what it always was... I doubt the new owners would mess too much with the menu. They'd be foolish to mess with success.

People will expect the food to be what it always was... I doubt the new owners would mess too much with the menu. They'd be foolish to mess with success.

Sounds like it's one of Warren Buffett's companies, I'd be surprised if they were that foolish.

Years ago I had called Geico for a quote for my Mom's auto insurance and it was higher than she was already paying. You gotta shop around as I just changed my insurance company and saved 'bout $400 a year.

I switched from Allstate to Geico in February. My premium went down 50%.

It seems like the insurance agents charge whatever they want and hope that someone takes the bait.

It may "seem like it" but it's as far from factual as it can be.

First of all, agents don't set rates.

Secondly, insurance companies decide the rates they want to charge, but they must then ask the state for approval.

Nearly all states have insurance commissioners who decide what rates insurers can charge.

And, no, they don't always get what they want. It's up to your state government.

If so, then why is it that I got five quotes for the same insurance coverage and the rates varied from $820 to $1380 per year?

Because each insurance company chooses the rate it wants to charge, but must get approval from your state to actually sell insurance at that chosen rate. If the rate an insurance company asks for is out of line with public policy, your state should not approve it. The point is, insurance companies can't just charge whatever they'd like, they are regulated by your state.

Free enterprise kicks in, too. If you want to pay $1,380 you may. If you want to pay less, there are companies that will sell coverage for less.

But remember, you usually get what you pay for. Some of those bargain basement premiums (rates) won't get you much help when you really need it (in case of a loss). Most people don't bother to read the fine print until they have a loss and suddenly find out those "cheap" premiums got them really cheap coverage with a lot of hoops, hurdles, limitations, or exclusions.

Whenever you shop around for insurance, you should always check a companies complaints and sanctions rankings (as compared to other insurance companies) with your state's insurance department or commission. You might be surprised to find that $820 premium would buy you coverage with a company that gets a huge amount of complaints or sanctions (fines, penalties, license suspensions, etc.). That's a track record you don't need your insurance company to have when you have a loss.

And, on the other hand, some of the higher premiums may just be charging you for their reputation as a big-time insurance company. Many people find it comforting to be in the hands of a big insurance company with a huge advertising budget, even if they have to pay more for similar coverage.

It's not unlike any other product or service . . . you have to shop smart, not cheap. Pyro model kits were a lot cheaper than AMT kits.