Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rocketeer Gee Bee R-1 “Betty”

This will be a fictional version of the famous Gee Bee. Normally it should be red & white, but I am doing it in the colors of the Gee Bee Z, black and yellow, but still following the scallop design of the R-1.
I found a Russ Heath drawing inspired by the Dave Stevens graphic novel and have drawn the Betty Page likeness and also will be making decals for the scallops :
RussHeathBettyGBR1_zpsc6d7e8f3.gif
I’m not making an exact copy of the Heath art, but I intend to keep the theme and overall look.

I started with the Williams Bros. 1/32 scale kit. It’s a little rough, but then it’s from the mid ‘70’s.

Basic interior assembled as the kit provides; I added the suede-like seat surfaces using flocked plastic from an adult beverage vac-u-formed liner and painted it. (The very green velour was a bit too much for this application.)

DSC04490_zpsdc035957.jpg
DSC04488_zps22b3bee7.jpg
DSC04489_zps24cc63bd.jpg
Most of the clean up has been done...
DSC04544_zpsa93a2abb.jpg

I have seen Betty spelled Betty and Bettie. I believe Bettie is correct, no ?

Yes. But definitely worth a Google search, you know, just to make absolutely sure... ;)

PS. You guys know there's a full-scale flying replica of the R2 built in 1991, right?

Also, the Lindberg / Pyro kit that is listed as 1/32 actually scales out to about 1/26 (only the pilot figure is 1/32). The L/P model has some glaring inaccuracies like ribbed wings, but it's a great starting point for a fine model.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The kit comes with plastic molded wheels/tires and these optional rubber tires and plastic rims. I sanded the seam off the tires and did some minor re-engineering of the wheel pants and wheels with brass tubing so the wheels can be installed into them after they are painted. The kit has the wheels being sandwiched between the pant halves.

DSC04552_zpsac803b27.jpg