Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airfix 1914 Stutz Bearcat

GeeBee

Because they are actually molded as part as the body, they are not seperate parts .... it would have been a lot easier if they were !

I understand that, but wouldn't it have been much easier to do the masking and paint the "rubber" part before the fender units, chassis, seats, etc. had all been glued together?

Too late now, but let it be a lesson for next time! ;)

I understand that, but wouldn't it have been much easier to do the masking and paint the "rubber" part before the fender units, chassis, seats, etc. had all been glued together?

I don't think it would have been any easier, as the fenders are again parts of the body, either way, something would have had to be masked off ....

2012-10-02151059.jpg

Did a little more work on it today, finished off one of the running boards, just a little BMF to do around to rubber floor and the other running board, I'll reckon I'll get this finished in the next couple of weeks, just in time for my stay in hospital .....

2012-11-16211115.jpg

2012-11-16163422.jpg

Thanks for all the good wishes for my up coming hospital trip, the last time I was actually admitted into hospital I was taken ill in the U.S ....

Anyway, I've got the floor, running boards and all the BMF finished, so I can crack on now and get the rest of the build finished ....

After airbrushing the floor panel satin black, to me it looked a little too smooth, as it is supposed to replicate rubber, so I brushed on some of the Revell enamel thinned with lacquer thinners and tried to stipple it a little with the brush giving it a little more texture.

2012-11-19175057.jpg

2012-11-19175109.jpg

2012-11-19175118.jpg

Edited by GeeBee

Got a little more done today, got the steering column fixed into place, this had previously been painted using Alclad polished brass, but the bottom piece that joins onto the floor needed to be done in chrome, this turned out a lot easier than I had anticipated, using chrome BMF, it was fixed into place using 5 minute epoxy, what you can't see in the photo is that bottom of the column needed to line up with the steering arm, again this lined up a lot better than I thought it would, with the column fitted the dash could go on, again fixed on using 5 minute epoxy and a few clamps to hold it in place until the glue dries, I also got the radiator masked up to airbrush the semi gloss black for the grill.

2012-11-20144319.jpg

2012-11-20144328.jpg

2012-11-20151627.jpg

2012-11-20151620.jpg

2012-11-20150017.jpg

Got a bit more done tonight, the seats are in, the boxes on the running boards are on, the pedals are on, and I was going to put the headlamps on, but then I noticed that while the body of the lamps needed to be done in the brass, the reflectors inside needed to be done in chrome, so some BMF was cut into a circle, put on and trimmed to size, you can see the difference in the photo as the one is still not done ...

2012-11-21213853.jpg

2012-11-21212651.jpg

2012-11-21212658.jpg

2012-11-21212706.jpg

2012-11-21212728.jpg

Awesome, and so accurate.

My question is, did you mean to turn the headlights and radiator into the pewter look that I see, or are you still working on a brass finish?

And not to be a pest, but don't the seat shells need red stripes?

Edited by sjordan2

My question is, did you mean to turn the headlights and radiator into the pewter look that I see, or are you still working on a brass finish?

Believe me, they are brass, and look so much better in the flesh, but just don't come over as such in the photo's ....

• 8 months later...