Model Cars Magazine Forum

Herb Thomas 1956 Southern 500

jjsipes

I started another model. It will be a replica of the car prepared by Smokey Yunick for Herb Thomas to run the 1956 Southern 500. I started with a Revell 1956 Chevy Del Ray that I got in a trade with Chuck Most, thanks Chuck. I modified the trim on the rear quarters from the Del Ray to a 150 trim model, to the best of my eye anyways. I have primed, painted, cleared and bare-metal foiled the trim. I have started to modifiy the interior by cutting out the rear seat and filling that in with sheet plastic, no pics of this at this time. Got chassis painting started. Next up will be decaling.

Actual Car

capture-vi_zps39abedf8.jpg

baker56chevy-vi.jpg

Model

1008130951c_zpse39ffdf4.jpg

1008130951b_zps22dd55ea.jpg

Edited by jjsipes

Got decals from SlotCar Fever and wasn't totally happy with them. Could just be from not dealing with them prior, I don;t know for sure but I went and tried to make some of my own. I placed them the numbers on the car and the red bled thru badly so I hand painted over the decal to have a guide, not totally happy with results. I used some Fred Cady decals for the front fenders and some of the sponsors. I have painted the red in the middle of Smokey's on the front fender as well.

I have noticed in some of the pictures that the sponsors are in differnet location, the Champion moves from quarter to door in some pictures so I guess this car was run more than once instead of just in the 1956 Southern 500. Need to see if I can come up with what races it ran.

1011131420b_zps53bf0c70.jpg

1011131420a_zps7928107f.jpg