Model Cars Magazine Forum

How many forum posters does it take to change a light bulb?

Ummmm....the 100 watt-equivalent CF bulbs only use 25 watts to make the same light as a 100 watt incandescent. They are available in several colors of 'white' light. They produce very little heat to run up your AC bills in the summer, and they save WAY more on energy cost than it costs to buy them. Several srores that sell them here accept the burned out ones for disposal....but they last for years and years. What's the down side? Please enlighten me.

By the way...halogens don't save much energy. LED bulbs are the next bright thing, they make compact flourescents obsolete, and they last just about forever.

Put a 100 w incandescent next to a 100w CF, big difference IMO.

I've bought several of the corkscrew bulbs. Advertising a five to seven year life... Only problem is the ones I've gotten haven't lasted a full three years. And the last one to fail tried to burn down the table lamp as it flickered out for the last time.

They are cheaper power usage wise, but...

And come, IIRC, 2014, incandescents will no longer be available for sale in the US of A.

I've bought several of the corkscrew bulbs. Advertising a five to seven year life... Only problem is the ones I've gotten haven't lasted a full three years. And the last one to fail tried to burn down the table lamp as it flickered out for the last time.

They are cheaper power usage wise, but...

And come, IIRC, 2014, incandescents will no longer be available for sale in the US of A.

I'm not worried. I have enough incandescent bulbs on hand to last the rest of my natural life. ;)

Have two of the CFL's that have lasted 4+ years in the kitchen that WalMart handed out to employees free. They didn't last a year in the bathroom. They do not seem to hold up well when they are turned on and off a large number of times a day. An electrician friend says we would be better off leaving them on all day. It would make them last longer and still would use less electricity than the old bulbs.

Well I put old bulbs back in anyway and they currently have two+ years on them. So I'm not sold on the new ones plus not liking the mess they cause if broken.

NEVER call the FD and ask what to do when one breaks. A neighbor did and it cost her a couple grand before it was done! Could not believe how anal the County health department got about it!

I don't worry about the Lighbulbs being discontinued.

I plan to just print them out on my new 3D Printer, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CadillacPat

Way to go, Pat !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad you've seen the light and are embracing the future !!!!!!!!!!!!! (Even if it is to make horribly inefficient, wasteful and totally obsolete bulbs.) ;)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Way to go, Pat !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad you've seen the light and are embracing the future !!!!!!!!!!!!! (Even if it is to make horribly inefficient, wasteful and totally obsolete bulbs.) ;)

Ace, I bought 5 of them.

I'm using 4 for jack stands under a '65 MGB body, and the fifth I made an aquarium out of.

CadillacPat