Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Dave.... thanks bud!! I think I got it to fit as good as I could...lol I am ready for the tin work to be done

Brett... Thanks buddy, I appreciate the kind words it helps for some motivation considering that I am sorta burnt out on this tin work but just have a little more to go on it.

Well I was able to get to the bench tonight and do a little more work on this tins. I got the outer lip made for the rear of the tins and I will be working on drilling holes for the rivets and sanding the tin work prepping for some primer soon. here is what I was able to finish tonight...

I added the rear lip on the two corner sections:

DP-Army-Vega3226-1_zps14433d37.jpg

Right Side, I still have some sanding and filling work to do:

DP-Army-Vega3231-1_zps16f680b1.jpg

Left Side, Little bit of work left to do on this side as well:

DP-Army-Vega3238-1_zpsbccb34bb.jpg

Here is the rear of the tin sitting in the body:

DP-Army-Vega3242-1_zps4a8e040e.jpg

Larry... Thanks. I can't wait to have the fabrication all done on this tin work and have it in primer.

Ron... thank you. I am trying to approach each piece as its own little model to make this the best build I have done to date and to challenge myself as well.

John... thanks big brother, its coming along

Scott... Thanks bud, right now what I am working on is somewhat time consuming but will be worth it....

Here is a sneak peek at what I am working on......

Adding Rivets to the tin work, Rivets are from Scale Hardware and I have many more to drill before I am done....lol

DP-Army-Vega3243-1_zps42ea5f33.jpg

John... thanks big brother, its coming along

Scott... Thanks bud, right now what I am working on is somewhat time consuming but will be worth it....

Here is a sneak peek at what I am working on......

Adding Rivets to the tin work, Rivets are from Scale Hardware and I have many more to drill before I am done....lol

DP-Army-Vega3243-1_zps42ea5f33.jpg

Is that gang graffiti?

Brad... Thanks buddy.... I am getting more excited about getting this tin work done. Drilling these holes are a little time consuming but I am hoping to have most of it done tonight then I can finish up the body work on the tins so it will be close to being done for paint.

Mike.... thanks bud....this tin has been a little bit of a chore... :lol:

Danno.... I think someone tagged my tin work... :o

Ray.... thanks for taking the time to look thru the many pages. I know there is alot to thumb thru. Thank you for the kind words

I have another quick update/teaser pic for you. Well as I have mentioned the drilling of the holes is time consuming and wanted to show where I am at with the tins. I sorta took a little break earlier and have started back up on it. I have put two different rivet sizes .8mm dia head (Brass) & .7mm dia. head (Stainless). I haven't figured out which I should go with on the final part when its all said and done. The .8mm is equal to .031" and 1:1 is equivalent to a .496" (1/2") dia. head and the .7mm is equal to .027" and the 1:1 is equivalent to .432" (7/16") dia head. Take a look land let me know what you think of the two....

I have gotten more holes drilled, I still have a ways to go and the two items to the right of the tin work is the pattern for the holes. I drilled them on a separate piece of stock and then use it as a template to transfer drill the holes:

DP-Army-Vega3250-1_zps200b45de.jpg

Ed... thanks man, I was kind of thinking the same thing with the .7mm ones. I need to buy 2 packages of the brass ones in that size because my plan and from my reference pics, it looks like they were painted. I also think that super glue will grab to the brass better.

Here is a shot of where I got last night. I almost got all of the holes drilled but I got tired and quite last night. I will be finishing them up this morning:

DP-Army-Vega3262-1_zps54f3ed9b.jpg

1 ... 2 ... 3 ... 4 ... 5 ... 6 ... 7 ... 8 ... 9 ...

Be sure to finish this model by November, Chris. You have to enter it in the IPMS contest in Mesa! It'll drive those IPMS judges crazy!

10 ... 11 ... 12 ... 13 ... 14 ... no, 16 ... whoops! Gotta start over.

1 ... 2 ... 3 ... 4 ... 5 ... 6 ... 7 ... 8 ... 9 ...

Danno... Are you counting the rivets already ;). I will definitely take it to that show. My goal is to have it done for the citrus nationals in October out in So Cal but hopefully I will have it done before then. I am hoping to possibly paint the chassis later this week if not it will be early next week.

Scott... Thanks brother. Yeah the more I look at this tin the better I like the smaller rivet. The shank is the same side on both of these rivets it was just the diameter of the head that was different. I would like to be done with this tin work it been time consuming lol

Steve.... Thanks for the kind words. The last thing I want my builds to do here, is to discourage people. I am hoping it is more of an inspiration and just learning from one another. There are many builders here who inspire me and who I look up to that make me want to build better.

Well I finally finished most of the rivets. there is a little work that still needs to be done with the firewall and dash but will get to those at a later time. I think I need a break from this tin work...lol

Here are a couple pics to share with everyone. Thanks for looking...

Here is the tins with the side panels completed with rivets, I still need to glue the rivets in and trim them on the back side:

DP-Army-Vega3265-1_zps87175c9f.jpg

And of course I had to put the tin work into the body and take a look at it and see how it looks mocked up, I know its not perfect but I have to say I am happy with how it looks and has turned out so far:

DP-Army-Vega3271-1_zpseddc2b31.jpg

Ohhhh Danno.... I counted the rivets for ya so you didn't have to.... so far there are 141 Rivets in this tin work ;) .... :lol: .... B)