Model Cars Magazine Forum

Yet another newbie...Hello! Asking a couple ?'s

Hi gang,

My name is Jeff from New York. I've had a couple models kicking around for years. I decided I may as well start them! Trying to get the boys off the Nintendo you know. One has a Viper and one has an F-18. They are doing great, but it's their first one and expectations aren't high. But me, I want to photo quality, double take, fake vs real model right off the bat(Don't we all). Doing some research, I came across this site and wow...I'm glad I did. There are some real talented folks here. I however will not be one of them. I will try, and probably fail-too impatient!!! But I'm working on it, so don't pile on :) I have a 1:48 Huey and a 1:48 Apache from Revell. I have a 1:72 Space Shuttle from Revell and a 1992 Nascar Thunderbird from Revell (All the Revell is a coincidence, I don't know enough to be partial one way or another). Anyway I have a ton of cool stuff for the shuttle: Official Decals, tile configurations, masks, and more authentic engines-professional modeler stuff. That has potential to be real cool. But I am starting the Thunderbird first. It's the Valvoline Mark Martin, but I plan to turn it into the Keystone car. This brings me to my questions. 1) This kit came out in '92. I'm sure the detailing was quite good for the time. Do they make modern kits of older cars, but with modern detailing? I suspect the body is fine, but after seeing that Rusty Charger in process "On the Table", the frame,interior, and motor of that 1992 kit are pretty weak. I bet the 2007 cars now are much better kits, but I doubt the old body style will fit over the frame. I'm half tempted to buy an Action die-cast and just redo the paint scheme. Takes the fun and the challenge away I'm sure, but who knows. Plus (question 2) are there any good reference photos of the older Nascar cars with the bodies off? I've Googled under 1992 Thunderbird, Nascar, Winston, Roush etc..etc... I can't find anything.

Anyway, sorry to be long winded. Just wanted to check in, introduce myself and pick your brains. I'm eager to start, I have my exterior reference photos, but I'm temporarily stuck. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Jeff. Glad to hear you and the boys are building models!

As for your questions, you should try this link: http://www.randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/index.php

Nothing but Nascar talk over there at Randy's.

I think the '92 T-bird is a good kit that's representative of the 1:1 cars. The modern cars have a lot more bars, bracing, etc. underneath that the old ones didn't. Also, I think there were two big chassis fab shops back then, but their names escape me. Get those names and google them and I'll bet you'll find chassis/cage photos. Good luck!