Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where are all the South Texan Modelers?

Just wondering if there is still a car model following here in San Antonio or am I the last one... I know there used to be the STAM- South Texas Auto Modelers and there is the Alamo Squadron of IPMS but can't find a current car modeling group or club here. I don't mind IPMS but seems to be a lot of planes, tanks and figures to wade through for a couple of cars...hehe

Is there anybody out there? (Sorry, Pink Floyd was just on the radio)

Alone in Antone

• 4 weeks later...
Just wondering if there is still a car model following here in San Antonio or am I the last one... I know there used to be the STAM- South Texas Auto Modelers and there is the Alamo Squadron of IPMS but can't find a current car modeling group or club here. I don't mind IPMS but seems to be a lot of planes, tanks and figures to wade through for a couple of cars...hehe

Is there anybody out there? (Sorry, Pink Floyd was just on the radio)

Alone in Antone

i know what u mean well i would like to start model club so what kind of models do u build i build customs street rods and street machines contacted me on yahoo saraiders2002@yahoo.com

Well, well, hello fellas, nice to know that there are others out there! I knew somebody had to be out there buying kits and paint from Hobby Lobby besides me. I am out on the Northwest side/Sea World part of town, but for car comaraderie, I'm willing to drive.

My main interests follow my 1/1 tastes. I like F1, sports/endurance racing, and sports cars in general. I do appreciate anything automotive, however.

Hmm.... Are there any more of us out there????? Who knows, maybe we can get enough people to start a club. And then we can bombard Alamo Squadron's Model Fiesta with Automobiles!

Later,

Greg

Well, hello there! I had given up hope and completely stopped checking on this thread and see what happens???!!!

I am also on the SeaWorld side of SA!

I am currently into hot rod and pro touring style muscle but also have lots of exotics in the pen. I am also know for occasional excursions into the prehistoric realms. Not much into F1 but do have a few kits. My collection is very diverse to include not only cars and dinos, but also ships, sci fi and a few other unique items here and there.

My current projects are a Lindberg '34 pickup that has been roadstered, bobbed, z-ed, channeled, suicided in more than one way, drilled and dropped, an AMT '57 Corvette gasser that has been dropped, tubbed, pro streeted and the mouse has been replaced with a blown rat, and an almost box stock Boyd Coupster that just has a few plug wires added. Maybe I can get these done by the next Model Fiesta... Then again, maybe not...

Now we are three... Any more??

Just us three???? No more?

First, I have never been to a model club meeting before. So, it is a clean slate with me. I am ###### sure not a know-it-all, and quite the opposite, well maybe not, 'cause that would mean I am know nothing at all. So, we will have to compare schedules, and find a place to meet.

No laughing at my paint jobs! I need a lot of work in that area.

Well, get back with me and let me know. Any other takers out there let me/us know too.

Later,

Greg

• 1 month later...

Hey!

I live near the Medical Center area...I went to an Alamo Squadron meeting once with my son. Great group of people, but I felt a bit out of place because all of them are military/plane/armor modelers, except for I think two of them.

It would be cool to organize a scale auto model club...

:P

Hey Marcos, I agree wholeheartedly. I've never been in a club, but it sounds like fun. And even more so to help form it. I do have a question or two. What do most clubs do for meeting places? What are some do's and don'ts? Some pointers would be most appreciated.

So, Kerc, Torinobradley, and SAmustang2001, what are your thoughts? Or anyone else for that matter. Having never been in a club, how do we go about forming one? What are you guys looking for in a club? I saw what Zoom Zoom's group did for Lemans, and I thought that was cool. Theme builds? Car shows? I'm not looking for a specific genre of cars either. I would want it to be open to everything model cars wise, with no preference or discrimination towards any one type.

As for scheduling, I have an odd work schedule. I work 24 hours, and then have 48 off, not including overtime, and covering friends shifts on occasion. So, I don't have a set days of the week off. I just started a 48 hour shift today.

I guess Kerc pm'd a couple of people, and hopefully that will get us in motion. Ideas and members welcome.

Greg

Well, if you're in the mood for a contest, we have 2 annually in Irving, not too far from Texas stadium. Check out http://www.themcma.com. We're the Metroplex Car Modeler's Association and we have members from all over the Metroplex.

I agree with Cruz. A club is a great way to get together with others who share our sickness, even if they aren't into the same automotive style you are. You can learn a lot and it's just plain fun to be around other modelers.

Edited by Nate

I'd like something just slightly organized. :) Here are some ideas from the top of my head (which is not that deep anyway):

• Initially, just get together, look at cars, talk about modeling.
  • If we get enough people involved, formalize a meeting place.
  • Also, create and print flyers to promote the group.
  • No fees, unless we decide to do some sort of show. Otherwise, all voluntary work.
  • Encompass all things automotive...and maybe motorcycles too. No planes, tanks, etc.
  • Find a name? This should be done when we become more organized.
  • Is there any conflicts if there's an existing IPMS groups like Alamo Squadron? My idea is that we would support their activities too, like ModelFiesta.

That's it for now...Food for thought, I guess...

Hey Marcos, I agree wholeheartedly. I've never been in a club, but it sounds like fun. And even more so to help form it. I do have a question or two. What do most clubs do for meeting places? What are some do's and don'ts? Some pointers would be most appreciated.

So, Kerc, Torinobradley, and SAmustang2001, what are your thoughts? Or anyone else for that matter. Having never been in a club, how do we go about forming one? What are you guys looking for in a club? I saw what Zoom Zoom's group did for Lemans, and I thought that was cool. Theme builds? Car shows? I'm not looking for a specific genre of cars either. I would want it to be open to everything model cars wise, with no preference or discrimination towards any one type.

As for scheduling, I have an odd work schedule. I work 24 hours, and then have 48 off, not including overtime, and covering friends shifts on occasion. So, I don't have a set days of the week off. I just started a 48 hour shift today.

I guess Kerc pm'd a couple of people, and hopefully that will get us in motion. Ideas and members welcome.

Greg

As you guys probably already know, I belong to 2 Clubs here in Maryland. Maryland Automotive Modellers Association and the Central PA. Model Car Club. For the M.A.M.A. Club, we meet in a recreational center and for the one in PA. we meet at a Fire Hall. For the M.A.M.A. club we don't have any fees, like my President (Lyle Willits) says, it will cost you more to quit than to join!! :lol: What we do is donate money to cover the room expenses. For the CPMCC Club, we have an annual fee of $20.00 Dollars which I think it is very cheap considering what we do with the money. Both Clubs are very well organized and I am very proud to say that I am a member of both. Kerc brings up a lot of good ideas, I say just make sure to consider him for President!! :lol: Anyway, as you guys get together and recruit more and more people it will be just a matter of time before you will be hosting an NNL in a few years!! ;) One thing I love about our CPMCC Club is that we attend lots of real car shows and while doing so we set up our Club display and attract new members to the Club. I have been a member for about 5 years now and even though this Club has been around for a while (if I am not wrong, 20 years) I have seen it grow and the talent just keeps getting better and better. Just start it out probably in somebody's house if you guys find someone that has a bit of room and just take it from there. Good luck and if you have any questions just ask, I will be happy to help as much as I can!!! Good luck.....

Hey Guys, some great input here! Thanks Marcos and Nate for taking an interest in us. Your help is and will be appreciated. I like a lot of the points that Kerc made. I think we should compliment, not compete with other clubs. It should be automotive subjects to include big rigs, bikes, emergency vehicles and such. Just not tanks and what not. No ships, planes, submarines and whatnot either. I don't want any type of car discriminated against. We all have our preferred cars, and we should be able to share them all. I know I have lots and lots of room to learn and grow, but I don't really want to hang out with rivet counting elitists! Constructive criticism is welcome for me. Most of all, I would like to make some friends who are passionate about cars, and car models.

I have the next two days off, and girlfriend, yard, and auto maintenance willing, I am going to go by Hobby Lobby and see what they say about sponsoring us with a room. They would get extra business for sure! If not, maybe my union would help out, albeit, I doubt it would be free. We have an excellent building on IH10 between Medical and Wurzbach. Anyone have any other ideas?

I will get back with anything I find out about.

Regards,

Greg

You might also try a library. Resturants that have meeting rooms are a possibility. The city would also be a place to check. Since gregbear is a fireman you may be able to get into a city building for little or no cost.

Here in the Metroplex we meet monthly at a city owned "meeting hall". We don't have to pay for the building since one of the long time members works for the city of Irving.

Until the club got really big we met at members houses.

At another club we met at one of the members store that he owned, after business hours.

It would be cool to have another contest to make a road-trip to as we regularly make trips to S/A, Austin and Houston for contests. Not bad mouthing the IPMS, but it would be really neat to have a car based venue to attend.

Besides hobby shops other good places to get interest in a club would be to approach the promoters that run 1/1 car shows to see if they would provide space and tables to run a model car contest. Also any car dealerships that have periodic 1/1 car shows are usually receptive.

One good rule of thumb for meetings is to have a pretty consistent day and time for the scheduled meetings.

GOOD LUCK!!!!! :)

Hey Guys, some great input here! Thanks Marcos and Nate for taking an interest in us. Your help is and will be appreciated. I like a lot of the points that Kerc made. I think we should compliment, not compete with other clubs. It should be automotive subjects to include big rigs, bikes, emergency vehicles and such. Just not tanks and what not. No ships, planes, submarines and whatnot either. I don't want any type of car discriminated against. We all have our preferred cars, and we should be able to share them all. I know I have lots and lots of room to learn and grow, but I don't really want to hang out with rivet counting elitists! Constructive criticism is welcome for me. Most of all, I would like to make some friends who are passionate about cars, and car models.

I have the next two days off, and girlfriend, yard, and auto maintenance willing, I am going to go by Hobby Lobby and see what they say about sponsoring us with a room. They would get extra business for sure! If not, maybe my union would help out, albeit, I doubt it would be free. We have an excellent building on IH10 between Medical and Wurzbach. Anyone have any other ideas?

I will get back with anything I find out about.

Regards,

Greg

I think we have exactly the same ideas! :lol:

It will be awesome if you get to find a place...What Hobby Lobby are you gonna go to? Crossroads? And what's the building you talk about? I work at the Colonnade I building and live at the end of Medical, so that's my area right there! :lol:

Hey Guys, thanks for the ideas Vanagon. Much appreciated! Kerc, as for the building I was talking about, it is the San Antonio Professional Firefighter's Association building. Yeah, I should say that Medical is close! I used to assigned to Engine 37 there at Vance Jackson and Wurzbach, so I've made about a billion different runs both in the Colonade and Medical. The Bank of America building has cost me a lot of sleep over the years!

The Hobby Lobbys I was going to check on are the Culebra and 1604 store, and the Bandera/Leon Valley store. I live off of Wiseman, so those are the closest to me. I keep forgetting that there is one at Crossroads. I'm done with the lawn, so if I can talk the girlfriend into it, I'm going to go check on it in a little while.

Later,

Greg

Hey Kerc, since the Culebra Hobby Lobby is thankfully next to the HEB, I was afforded the opportunity to go inside. I talked to the manager there and he said that we could use their classroom for free if we follow a couple of conditions.

1. Fits with other classes etc already scheduled

2. Financial commitment to Hobby Lobby. In other words, he wants us to buy stuff. I said that wouldn't be a problem, as I already spend way too much there already!

3. We put the above on a letter to him, along with describing us. ie- model club, participant numbers, regular meetings etc.

All in all, it sounds like a pretty good deal. Can't beat free!

On another note, it was hard not to walk out of there with new kits. They have the new Gt500, and all three special edition Revells in stock. I, of course, had to buy some paint. If they just carried Tamiya paint.....

Let me know what you think.

Regards,

Greg

Hey Kerc, since the Culebra Hobby Lobby is thankfully next to the HEB, I was afforded the opportunity to go inside. I talked to the manager there and he said that we could use their classroom for free if we follow a couple of conditions.

1. Fits with other classes etc already scheduled

2. Financial commitment to Hobby Lobby. In other words, he wants us to buy stuff. I said that wouldn't be a problem, as I already spend way too much there already!

3. We put the above on a letter to him, along with describing us. ie- model club, participant numbers, regular meetings etc.

All in all, it sounds like a pretty good deal. Can't beat free!

On another note, it was hard not to walk out of there with new kits. They have the new Gt500, and all three special edition Revells in stock. I, of course, had to buy some paint. If they just carried Tamiya paint.....

Let me know what you think.

Regards,

Greg

Greg, that sounds great to me! I can get started by write a draft of the letter. How can we get to know their schedule? This is taking shape...how cool. :)

I'll PM you my email and phone info so that we can keep in touch.

Thanks!

-- Jose

In a hobby store??? :lol: I am getting jealous!!! :) Good to see this is moving forward guys, I am excited and I live miles away from you guys!!! :P Now let's see, 1,300 miles @ 3.69 a gallon w/ an 8 cylinder engine........ :D

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to put this topic back at the top, just in case there are any more interested people, and would like some info on where we are at. So far we have a meeting place: Hobby Lobby Culebra @1604. We don't have a schedule yet. Jose (Kerc) has been laying the ground work for us, and for that I am thankful.

What I would like to suggest is that we have a meeting of the minds (being generous for myself), so we can discuss this stuff in person. Maybe a local restaurant or watering hole? Any thoughts?

I want to thank again the board members who have been helping us with info, and encouragement.

Thanks,

Greg

I'm game, let's throw out a couple of places and dates and see what works best for all of us. That intersection at Culebra and 1604 has Bill Millers, Taco Cabana, Waterburger and Chili's. I would think Bill's would be the best place considering the openness of the room but any would be good. Weekends and nights are good for me with a bit of forwarning.

• 2 months later...

Is anything up and running for a car club in San Antonio? I expect to be moving to SA in the near future. I'm just getting back into cars after several years away. We're trying to get an informal club going here. No special meeting place except someone's house. I hope to get together with you when I get there. My interests are hot rods and Mopars.

Gary ;)

Is anything up and running for a car club in San Antonio? I expect to be moving to SA in the near future. I'm just getting back into cars after several years away. We're trying to get an informal club going here. No special meeting place except someone's house. I hope to get together with you when I get there. My interests are hot rods and Mopars.

Gary B)

Damm I miss bein thar in a REAL state an a REAL city an an an ana ana ana a ana a Watterbuger :lol: Ed Shaver