Model Cars Magazine Forum

MG TC 1:16.....again

Twokidsnosleep

those chrome spears on the running boards are kool. the strip of chrome immediately in front of those spears should be rubber, not chrome metal.

the weird little lip on the fenders you mention is actually upholstery beading that fits between the body and the fender and isolates it to cut down on rattles and make the bond waterproof. it is constructed of roughly 3/8" tubing surrounded by a stitched piece of naugahide or leather with a tail on it that is in between the body and fender, the covered tubing part constitutes the weird little lip.

the part that looks out of place to me is the chrome running around the rear area behind the seats.

jb

Edited by jbwelda

To help out, send the Pocher's to me for safe keeping...

Ha ha funny guy, you almost slipped that one right past me

Sorry, those two Italian beauties are stowed away.....and I will put "fraaagillleee" on their boxes b/c they are Italian and were a major award.

(That is a Christmas Story reference for those of the 'slow on the uptake' variety)

As for all you anti-chromics, there is no help for you! And it's my party and I'll chrome if I want to

I think I better go to bed now, I am deliriously hilarious.

i would try lightening the tone of the darker one to see if you can get it somewhere between where it is now and the lighter shade one. looking great either way though.

jb

JB, that is the darkest wood I had in a bag of veneers from Lee Valley (woodworking company in Canada)

It has a clear floor varnish and no stain on the wood, so it's a pretty dark exotic wood ......Jatoba, Paduc not really able to ID it

I used it b/c it was the thinnest of the whole lot of veneers that I had without a lot of big grain that would pull it out of scale

Believe me, I like it a lot, not much hope of changing it's colour though

Had fun making both of these

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

Another dashboard option is to download the wood grain of your choice from the following site, reduce it to a scale that looks right, and make a decal or appliqué. The advantage is that real wood showing 3D grain would be out of scale at anything under 1/8. The pictures are of real wood veneers, not artist renderings.

http://www.certainlywood.com/search.cfm

The site has hundreds, if not thousands, of veneer samples to choose from. Click on a thumbnail for the type of wood you'd like, then click on any of the thumbnails that come up for a large image that you can download or crop. For example, mirror-finish French Walnut was a popular veneer in the old days (and most classic wood appointments were veneer over a harder wood in 1:1 cars). However, most TC/TD cars I've seen have a low-gloss dash. You can reduce the grain on your computer.

Here's one of several French Walnut patterns.

Picture%2049_zpsxt5pnwzn.png

Edited by sjordan2

Another dashboard option is to download the wood grain of your choice from the following site, reduce it to a scale that looks right, and make a decal or appliqué. The advantage is that real wood showing 3D grain would be out of scale at anything under 1/8. The pictures are of real wood veneers, not artist renderings.

http://www.certainlywood.com/search.cfm

The site has hundreds, if not thousands, of veneer samples to choose from. Click on a thumbnail for the type of wood you'd like, then click on any of the thumbnails that come up for a large image that you can download or crop. For example, mirror-finish French Walnut was a popular veneer in the old days (and most classic wood appointments were veneer over a harder wood in 1:1 cars). However, most TC/TD cars I've seen have a low-gloss dash. You can reduce the grain on your computer.

Here's one of several French Walnut patterns.

Picture%2049_zpsxt5pnwzn.png

I need a bit of a tutorial on how to make those decals

I have the sheet of paper, but not sure how to get the images properly organized and sized

I need a bit of a tutorial on how to make those decals

I have the sheet of paper, but not sure how to get the images properly organized and sized

I don't know what graphics programs you have, but you can make adjustments in Photobucket or others. I'm on Mac and use Quark XPress, so I can't be of help to Windows users.

The most basic workaround I can think of is to use a hard finish laser paper or photo paper, take the art above and experiment with printing it out in different sizes like 50% or smaller (you can use cheaper paper for experimenting with size). Cover it with adhesive clear laminate and it should work, especially since your dashboard is totally flat.

I invite others to give you a better tutorial.

Edited by sjordan2

I will play around in one of the Mac apps it will just take some fiddling...I can't stand working in windows, but my work software necessitates having it

I was looking at the MG's gauges last night and thought I might either draw or paint them right onto the decal paper as the decals from the kit are a bit sad

I know Harry did something with a dash and gauges on one of his builds, will have a look for that too

Saturday Morning Miscellaneous Ramblings.....remember those articles in Road and Track??

The past week I worked on a steering system out of brass and aluminum. Not going to solder it as my soldering sucks so will be CA glued

Also got in mail from Las Vegas some ID tabs for my builds. This will look good for the little diorama I have planned for the MG

8374b246-e9b3-4663-bf9b-17263936e1f6.jpg

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

Wow, the computer gods are against me this AM with both laptop and ipad crashing on me on photobucket

So I have also been working away on the two dashboards I made.

Harry P did a little how to on this in one of his Big Boy builds so hats off to him for helping, merci!

I found the kit decals for the dials pathetic so went to the internet to search the TC's dials. They are beautiful analogue works of art- Jaeger dials

IMG_0199.jpg

I took this dial and shrunk it down and overexposed it to brighten it up, then through trial and error printed out the little dials until I got a couple close in size. White glued the paper to thin styrene sheet (Evergreen) and then white glued a bit of plastic cut with an appropriately sized hole punch. Cut it all out and dry fitted them in.

I need to diddle with the exposure and saturation still to get all the dials to match, but getting close.

My computer at the office is the best one to use as the home printer sucks and slows me down

The process is shown in the picture below moving left to right

imagejpg1-16.jpg

Close up of the pear wood dash.....need to match those dials a bit better; the spedo on the left looks better than the washed out tach on the right. Look at that vs the kit decals though..yikes!

imagejpg1-17.jpg

C'est tout pour maintenant

Scott

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

A Whole Day of Modelling

That is something very rare, but happened today....with research, dog walks and meals interspersed

No cleaning, shopping, errands or nothing, just a rare treat of working on a model car

So I got quite a bit done; some major assembly with body, fenders and interior together and cemented to the frame.

Have been working on hooking up all the little bits and wires.

I added a magneto and its wiring, oil lines, fuel line to my fuel pump(single one now) some fake wiring to tail lights as well

I have a bit of a hard time in the engine bay as no parts are labelled in the instructions and some of the bits I cannot ID from my book or the Internet. These are old cars and lots of mods also occur.

Getting a bit ansy to just slap the last stuff in and call her done, but I am unhappy with the dash still and can't put in the steering column until the dash is in. So I will pace myself, slow down and finish it off right.

No pics, she looks the same as all those dry fit shots I have been boring everyone with.

Later, Scott

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

A Whole Day of Modelling

That is something very rare, but happened today....with research, dog walks and meals interspersed

No cleaning, shopping, errands or nothing, just a rare treat of working on a model car

So I got quite a bit done; some major assembly with body, fenders and interior together and cemented to the frame.

Have been working on hooking up all the little bits and wires.

I added a magneto and its wiring, oil lines, fuel line to my fuel pump(single one now) some fake wiring to tail lights as well

I have a bit of a hard time in the engine bay as no parts are labelled in the instructions and some of the bits I cannot ID from my book or the Internet. These are old cars and lots of mods also occur.

Getting a bit ansy to just slap the last stuff in and call her done, but I am unhappy with the dash still and can't put in the steering column until the dash is in. So I will pace myself, slow down and finish it off right.

No pics, she looks the same as all those dry fit shots I have been boring everyone with.

Later, Scott

No pics. Didnt happen ☺️

Edited by lanesteele240

Ok smarty pants you asked for it!

Just another of the same shot to bore your socks off, but this time everything not lying on the grass is glued on!

Oops, forgot to paint the brass steering column first...that was a late night goof up and when I decided to stop

imagejpg1-18.jpg

My magnifier/holder man has his hands up in surrender...or maybe he's saying "WTF, finish it already"

Edited by Twokidsnosleep