Model Cars Magazine Forum

Altered Ego Fiat Topolino

Here's those pix Chris. First is a close-up of the linkage at the rear of the injectors.

Next few are the front hinge for the nose piece.

Hinge2-vi.jpg

IMG_6632sm-vi.jpg

Just after these pics were taken, the frame and body went to the spray booth for primer. Thanks for following along.

Edited by gasser59

Thanks Danno and Romell. I am really enjoying this build and wish I had more time to put into it. I suppose I could do less details and then I'd be......on second thought, nope!! Its the details and fabricating that I love doing so it'll continue to be slow going.

Edited by gasser59

Thanks Danno and Romell. I am really enjoying this build and wish I had more time to put into it. I suppose I could do less details and then I'd be......on second thought, nope!! Its the details and fabricating that I love doing so it'll continue to be slow going.

Thats OK Brad I'll watch for as long as it takes you. Slow and easy my friend let age like a fine wine. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the comments fellas. I've been working around some different color schemes and have settled on HOK Tangelo Pearl with black sections. Now that the color is in place, been working on a name and graphic. Been toying with this for the last few hours. It sure looked better in my head than it ended up looking like. What do y'all think?

Copperhead-vi.jpg

Edited by gasser59

Brad brought the car to the club meeting Saturday night and displayed it on the project table; he won the balloting for Best Project!

It looks even better in person than it does in pix, although I must admit I like the option of looking at huge close up images!! Mine eyes aren't as young as they once were.

B)

Frame's painted and dry and I've added the rear disk brakes. Painted the calipers Tamiya Clear Red and over the chrome, they look great. Now am finishing up the driveshaft. Am contemplating working U joints but they won't be visible with the belly pan I plan on putting on so I may not make them functioning.

IMG_6658sm-vi.jpg

Thanks for following along.

Edited by gasser59

After additional research, I realized that an altered doesn't have a typical automotive driveshaft with U joints but has an output shaft. I should have realized this from the original Wild Willie kit but it just didn't register. I thusly have made an output shaft out of a telescoping antenna piece and aluminum tubing.

OutputShaft1-vi.jpg

Much better. Now I can sleep properly tonight.

Edited by gasser59

Brad Looking good.... I have to say that it looks much better with the output drive shaft. You are just like me when a little detail some what bugs ya, you need to fix it and make it right B) I seem to do this alot myself too. Now time to polish that output shaft B) .

Thanks Chris. Yup, it was bugging me, big time. Today, in between watching my grandson and some bench time, I cut some printing plate and inserted it into the inside of the cockpit frame to cover the mold fill holes. I'm at wt work now but will post some pictures later, more like early tomorrow morning since I'll be getting home after midnight.

BTW - it IS polished.

Edited by gasser59

A bit of work done of the last two days but not much. Here's a picture of the printing plate inserts on the inside of the frame along with the floorboard. With the metal seat, metal sides, floorboard and metal output shaft tunnel (yet to make), its going to be alot of metal showing on the cockpit.

PPlateInserts-vi.jpg

Also, finally got around to putting the valve cover breathers on. I have been dreading these but I'm happy with them.

ValveBreathers-vi.jpg

Thanks for following along and your input is welcome.

Edited by gasser59

With the frame now painted and assembly starting to take place, I've come to the realization I'm going to need to remake my front axle. There just isn't enough room for the batwing and radius rods to fit in between the shocks and frame and still have the steering function. Over the past two days, I've been mulling this over and starting over is the best course of action so in an effort to make it more tolerable, I'll do a short How-to with progress photos and instructions. If others can benefit, all the better.

I'm still working on the interior components and as things progress to the point where I'm done with making the cockpit components, I'll start the new front end. Stay tuned and thanks for following along.

A couple small updates for you guys. Spent a bunch of time make the oil filter mount which the Wild Willie motor was missing and along with a machined oil filter which has yet to be painted and decaled. It took so long because half way through the first one, I dropped it in the carpet and was never seen again.

OilFilter-vi.jpg

Next was the master brake cylinder and rear brakes lines over the axle.

BrakeLines-vi.jpg

And finally got around to creating a oil pressure gauge which is mounted to the back of the blower. Its made from aluminum tubing turned on my Dremel Stylus and the gauge itself is white sprue finely sanded smooth with needle and indicator marks drawn in with a fine point marker.

FuelPressureGauge-vi.jpg

Thanks for following along. More updates soon.

Edited by gasser59