Model Cars Magazine Forum

'Snowball 2'

Abell82

<!--quoteo(post=239255:date=Dec 10 2009, 12:31 PM:name=99GT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(99GT @ Dec 10 2009, 12:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=239255"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I say we go ahead and start the project.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree. It is time to begin.

However...

There have been several new people that have stated their interest in participating, in this project.

I believe that this is good for the build, and the message board, as well. Which is what it was intended for. So I am going to add them to the list of builders. These are the new participants:

Dave Mikrut

Ictpacman

Lordmodelbuilder.

Now then...

Officially sign up was over awhile ago. However, I have stated that I would allow 12 builders. So I am going to allow these members a chance to participate. I do have to draw a line somewhere, though. So, these will be the last names that will be added to this project's list of builder's. I don't want this project to last, as long as the original, has. And as such I don't think we need more then 12 builder's, as it will draw things out far too long. <b>HOWEVER...</b>

If someone is interested in participating, then I do not wish to turn them away, as I do not wish to exclude anyone. Also, I have been warned, and seen first hand that people that have stated an interest will withdraw for whatever reasons.

<b>So...

</b>

Therefore anyone that wishes to join, after today will <b>ONLY</b> be allowed to join, as an <b>alternate</b>. This means that if someone withdraws, then they will be given the chance to fill the spot of that person. These spots will be filled on a first come, first filled basis. So there will be a chance for new members to participate. ( IF enough people state an interest in being an alternate, then we could discuss the possibility of an "alternate's" project ... )

I believe that this is the only way to be fair.

So here is the new builder's order:

So here is the list I now have:

(Revision 1)

1. Abell82

2. Envious8420

3. Cruzn

4. Len Geisler

5. 99Gt

6. TxRat

7. Pony Express

8. Dave Mikrut

9. Ictpacman

10. Lordmodelbuilder.

11. Roadhawg

12. *Matt LeBlanc*

Alternates:

1.Jason Vandergriff

2.Showrodfreak

Comments?

Edited by Abell82

I agree. It is time to begin.

However...

There have been several new people that have stated their interest in participating, in this project.

I believe that this is good for the build, and the message board, as well. Which is what it was intended for. So I am going to add them to the list of builders. These are the new participants:

Dave Mikrut

Ictpacman

Lordmodelbuilder.

Now then...

Officially sign up was over awhile ago. However, I have stated that I would allow 12 builders. So I am going to allow these members a chance to participate. I do have to draw a line somewhere, though. So, these will be the last names that will be added to this project's list of builder's. I don't want this project to last, as long as the original, has. And as such I don't think we need more then 12 builder's, as it will draw things out far too long. HOWEVER...

If someone is interested in participating, then I do not wish to turn them away, as I do not wish to exclude anyone. Also, I have been warned, and seen first hand that people that have stated an interest will withdraw for whatever reasons.

So...

Therefore anyone that wishes to join, after today will ONLY be allowed to join, as an alternate. This means that if someone withdraws, then they will be given the chance to fill the spot of that person. These spots will be filled on a first come, first filled basis. So there will be a chance for new members to participate. ( IF enough people state an interest in being an alternate, then we could discuss the possibility of an "alternate's" project ... )

I believe that this is the only way to be fair.

So here is the new builder's order:

1. Abell82

2. Envious8420

3. Cruzn

4. Len Geisler

5. 99Gt

6. Dave Mikrut

7. Roadhawg

8. Ictpacman

9. Pony Express

10. Lordmodelbuilder.

11. TxRat

12. *Matt LeBlanc*

Comments?

Ok I am In... Might want to have starting date after the first of the year ..But that depends on the individual.. and shipping.

Dave, you bring up good points, but I have addressed some of these issues already.

First, there is a time limit on this build. It is 1 month, per builder. Second, shipping is to be done by USPS WITH Delivery confirmation, (UPS is acceptable as well as long as some kind of tracking is used.). If the build is hand delivered, participants MUST, BOTH get a receipt. This is to prevent the build from getting lost. Third, there are currently 9 builder's. I was hoping for 12. This means that there are 3 slots that are actually still open. I would be honored, if you would joinus. And Ictpacman I would be honored for you to join as well. 12 will be the limit, though as I do not want the build to drag on for more then a year. (It will, once shipping etc is calculated in, I am aware of this.)

Now. You bring up a good point. I would like at least a general idea, of the overall build direction, before we start. I have PMed Gregg, to no avail. I would like for us to choose some style of build before we begin, and this is why I have not yet started. I would like for us to all be on the same page before we begin.

Jason,

I cannot participate, but I think Snowball is a great idea. I might suggest you add more detail as to what is expected of each participant. For instance, you asked for a one month time limit.

I would add to that, and suggest each participant agrees to forward to the next person at the end of their term with the kit, regardless of completion. This would serve to 'add pressure' to each one to "git 'er dun" so to speak.

What about offering an extension to a participant? If they really need it, maybe an extension would be good if someone needs more time.

Also, ask that each participant post photos to show progress, and help motivate all involved. Not a rule, of course.

There is already a web site to track progress... you are all reading it now. As the topic gets pushed down the board, just bump it.

And a question... do you recommend that each participant wait for the package to arrive, vs. just grabbing the same kit on their shelf, thus getting a head start?

So, one month, 12 people, = one year. Is that agreed by all? I hope this project is a success!

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update... I have given up on getting Gregg's input, and began working, on my part of this build. I will be sending this project on to the next player very shortly. Unfortunately, it's late and photobucket is down. Or I'd show a pic.

Good to hear the model is making progress. You can email me the pics & I will host them on my Fotki site if you like. Brad

Maybe you should try to contact Jim Haught. He may be interested in the project. :lol: Glad the ball is finally rolling on this.

I 'm quite certain that Gregg has his reasons. Like the updates to the forum for one.

Edited by Abell82

I was not sure, on how or where to start this project. However, with the help from a magazine that I found :Street Rodder Presents: A guide to building a 49-54 Chevrolet Street Rod (I'll be sending this along with the build, in case someone needs it.) I came to a decision.

The Original Snowball began with a custom hood, and I thought I would too. But then I realized that the majority of players would be doing body work. So I thought I'd leave the body work for someone else and begin where the least amount of interest, and greatest amount of repair was needed. The frame. I decided, to try to make an Art Morrison Frame for our project.

Here is what I started with...

102_2493.jpg

The rear of the frame near the fuel tank has a break in it, and is much thinner then the rest of the frame.

I began by removing the fuel tank, and sanding the leafspring mounts and old glue off.

102_2497.jpg

I then tried to reinforce the broken section, and remove part of the frame.

102_2507.jpg

I then added material to the frame to make it more of a uniform thickness...

102_2515.jpg

Added a cross brace...

103_0521.jpg

Removed the trans mount, and bracing...

103_0522.jpg

Added some new material and removed some more old material...

103_0524.jpg

Added the drive shaft support...

103_0528.jpg

Added the holes for the exhaust to go through the frame, and the mounts to mount the frame to the body...

103_0532.jpg

Comparison photo, for fun ...

103_0534.jpg

I did have to modify the interior portion slightly to get this frame to work, but I forgot to take pictures of that.

I have set up all the pictures for this in a public photobucket album. So you can see and follow it's progression, if these do not work. http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/abell82/MCMSnowball/

Unfortunately, it's too early to do much more then this, as I do not know what engine, trans, suspension, ect to set it up for.

I'll be wrapping up the rest of it, and sending it on to the next member this week.

It's on it's way to Envious8420. The ball is rolling! :)

So here is the list I now have:

(Revision 1)

1. Abell82

2. Envious8420

3. Cruzn

4. Len Geisler

5. 99Gt

6. TxRat

7. Pony Express

8. Dave Mikrut

9. Ictpacman

10. Lordmodelbuilder.

11. Roadhawg

12. *Matt LeBlanc*

Alternates:

1.Jason Vandergriff

2.Showrodfreak

Edited by Abell82

WOW, what a great idea, now i know why i took time to join this forum, it's the only one i've every joined and i'm glad of it, everyone is great, gets along very well with others, and everyone is willing to share all their tips, tricks, ideas, and projects with pleasure, a far cry from what it used to be like,,, where no one shared any secrets, i love this site!!!

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Jim... Nice start ..

lets see what You did?

You sanded out the belt line and cleaned up the Roof Lines.

anything else you did ?

actually i took a .25 in. pie cut out of the rear roof to bring it down a bit, then i split the roof 90% of the way forward to bring the door arch back then made a new upper door. removed the belt line, pie cut the hood and brought the front edge down.

still contemplating the 57 fins

actually i took a .25 in. pie cut out of the rear roof to bring it down a bit, then i split the roof 90% of the way forward to bring the door arch back then made a new upper door. removed the belt line, pie cut the hood and brought the front edge down.

still contemplating the 57 fins

Ok that's alot of work.. ..

I Like the fins ..

giving me ideas ..