Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '62 Corvette Roadster 2'n1

Dr. Cranky

........ hmmmmm.............. try using the hard top from the old AMT 57 Corvette kit.(CORRECTION.... the AMT "62" kit)..... it needs only slight adjustment and the header bars match almost exactly....

You will need to "CAREFULLY" cut off the two tabs on the inside of the windshield part (the top NOT the bottom) to make the hard top fit better.... some additional sanding in this area is required and perhaps a notch will be needed in one of the parts on both sides but the version I have is very close already.... if anything it sits back a bit too far but carefully sanding the leading edge of the top will solve that problem...the molded header strip on the top is a bit thick anyway..... Carefully removing that header bar and reattaching it after removing some of the material from the top will let the rear part of the top fall just inside the rear deck panel line right where it belongs. And you will also need to add a very small "V" cut or filed into the base of the rear window bow to clear the rear wind-split as on the original....

SO..... now you all can go dig that new 62 kit out of the trash and get started on it!!!!

See..... now that wasn't that hard was it!!!!!!!!!! ....

62Uptop-vi.jpg

Edited by Duntov

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up the '62 Corvette kit at my LHS and it looks really nice ! I have to agree with Tim that the parting lines are among the best I've ever seen and sanding them will be a breeze ! I was more surprised at how faint the molded letters and emblem on the nose are , at least there are decals for them . Also , Bill is right about the hard top in the AMT kit , it looks like it was made for it !

Now , lets build a few of these and find something else to complain about !

Edited by TooOld

........ hmmmmm.............. try using the hard top from the old AMT 57 Corvette kit.(CORRECTION.... the AMT "62" kit)..... it needs only slight adjustment and the header bars match almost exactly....

You will need to "CAREFULLY" cut off the two tabs on the inside of the windshield part (the top NOT the bottom) to make the hard top fit better.... some additional sanding in this area is required and perhaps a notch will be needed in one of the parts on both sides but the version I have is very close already.... if anything it sits back a bit too far but carefully sanding the leading edge of the top will solve that problem...the molded header strip on the top is a bit thick anyway..... Carefully removing that header bar and reattaching it after removing some of the material from the top will let the rear part of the top fall just inside the rear deck panel line right where it belongs. And you will also need to add a very small "V" cut or filed into the base of the rear window bow to clear the rear wind-split as on the original....

SO..... now you all can go dig that new 62 kit out of the trash and get started on it!!!!

See..... now that wasn't that hard was it!!!!!!!!!! ....

62Uptop-vi.jpg

I tried the AMT '62 Corvette roof last weekend on my Revell '62 Corvette GASSER project and it fits perfectly, just as described by Duntov. Haven't check out how it fits with the quarter windows added, that's a project for this weekend! TIm

I have tried the hardtop and uptop from the MPC '60 Corvette, and the hardtop from the MPC '57 flip front Corvette and all three will work fine, but the headliner detail in both hardtops will take some work. Downside is that neither hardtop have the quarter windows which must be there as they did not retract. Simple scratch build.

I tried the AMT '62 Corvette roof last weekend on my Revell '62 Corvette GASSER project and it fits perfectly, just as described by Duntov. Haven't check out how it fits with the quarter windows added, that's a project for this weekend! TIm

Update from the "Nothing is easy when it comes to kitbashing" department: When I added the 1/4 window/backlight piece from the AMT '62 Corvette to the roof from the same kit, and placed it on the Revell '62 Corvette body, I found that the quarter windows are recessed too far inward to line up withthe Revell cockpit, which is wider in width than the AMT '62 Corvette. So,....onto trying the up roof from some of the other C1 Corvette kits....or else I can cut away the quarter windows and move them outward while still being recessed slightly from the exterior roof panel (which would give a more realistic appearance anyway). If none of that works, then onto one of the "up" convertible tops from C1 kits various....TIM

Maybe you missed this post on page three.

Hi gang,

Just got done eating crow here. :unsure: I bought this kit and it is a real beauty! Go out and buy one, you won't be dissapointed. Thank you Revell!

FYI - I test-fit the chrome gasser grille openings from the MPC '60 7n1 kit and it looks like they will fit this with just some filling of the corners of the center opening. Also, the Revell '41 Willys gasser frame should fit under the floorpan here, with minimal mods.

Happy Modeling!

So far, this is the engine and drivetrain....Sure some of you guys still want to avoid buying this one??? :D

Really nice work, but I'm still waiting for a reissue with a hardtop. Even if it's another stupid California Wheels thing, I'd rather have a hard top because I'd replace the wheels anyway.

Really nice work, but I'm still waiting for a reissue with a hardtop. Even if it's another stupid California Wheels thing, I'd rather have a hard top because I'd replace the wheels anyway.

This current version is pretty much the CA Wheels version, with it's larger diameter wheels and tires, custom decals, and not much else in the way of optional parts.

The hardtop is happening in the next version and the Big John Mazmanian 'Vette is the perfect choice for a drag version. The body is close to stock, Revell has released previous BJM cars, and the rear wheel wells could be handled as they are on the '68 Hemi Dart kit. When is Revell announcing it's 2013 Fall releases? ^_^

I'm not a vette guy so bear with me. ( I think the only vette I have on my shelf is the MPC Malco Gasser )

So ! I ask ,,,,,,, is this version really that much better than any previous AMT / MPC issue ?

If so how ?

Like mentioned , a hardtop is/would be a must have for me. so for me to buy one thats whats it's going to take

Cruz,

Great work so far. I am just starting the injection system plumbing. What have you used as reference?

Thanks for sharring your build.

joe.

Thanks, just go under images in Google, type '62 Corvette roadster and just go from there!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've found this thread really useful for learning about not only the kit but real '62 Corvettes - thanks guys!

I've got one of these kits now (took a while for one to appear over here) and I'd like to paint it an accurate colour - MCW do not ship out of the U.S. - has anyone got any suggestions on how I can get a realistic representation of '62 vette colours?

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,

Jim