Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking great your builds are always inspirational also how many finished models are in your collection. Ill keep watching

Obviously I've lost counts of all the ones I ruined way back when I started, gave away, got destroyed (no by me), etc . . . etc . . . etc . . .

But after that every single model I have built is here in my collection. At last count I think I had about 136 or so, give or take ten. I love playing with my models in dioramas and or photographing them. I hope one day my kids will not throw them all out, but you can never guarantee anything.

The weathering has begun with both the airbrush and with some washes and pigments.

We always plan on never overdoing it, and then . . . rust possession takes over. LOL!

IMG_0189-vi.jpg

IMG_0190-vi.jpg

IMG_0191-vi.jpg

When you apply your base coat with the rattle can you have to keep in mind that the paint is going to go on thick and wet, which is going to trap a lot of the salt. So you have to use a stiff old toothbrush and some 600 or 800 sandpaper to soften the paint a little bit. After that, the chipping and mapping and scratching is a bit easier to perform.

When doing these types of builds, I find that literally ALL COLORS are in play, and you should have fun mixing it up. Most of these old beaters are often cobbled together (Franken-Shsh-teened! as EYEGORE loves to call it!) and this is going to bring you many hours of pure pleasure.

That's my story and I am sticking with it. More progress coming soon.

I love the patina Doc, glad to see you back in your element. I love the "hours of pure pleasure" you describe. The first pictures of your paint looked perfect to me, then it just keeps getting better and better. Thanks for entertaining us. I was just wondering how many '50 Chevy pickups you have built? I never get tired of seeing them.